Nielsen: Apple's iPhone growing, Android flat as smartphone sales surge

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The price of the 3GS is *not* $49. That is the subsidised price of the 3GS onone plan on one carrier in one country. This is pointed out in every damned thread. In the next thread it is repeated again. It's getting remedial.
  • Reply 42 of 92
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The price of the 3GS is *not* $49. That is the subsidised price of the 3GS onone plan on one carrier in one country. This is pointed out in every damned thread. In the next thread it is repeated again. It's getting remedial.

And this thread is not about the global market, it's about the US market where the 3GS is sold for $49 on contract from only one carrier
  • Reply 43 of 92
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    True, but that is still not it's price.
  • Reply 44 of 92
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    Yeah the price is closer to $549 USD I believe I could be wrong though
  • Reply 45 of 92
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Plus the iPhone will be coming to Sprint this Autumn, right guys??

...right?
  • Reply 46 of 92
    Palm should be kicking themselves. They could've done this. Granted not as well as apple, but certainly better than MS, RIM, Moto, etc. What a missed opportunity!

Best
  • Reply 47 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

True, but that is still not it's price.

Nor are Android phones sold to the carrier's for the $200 or $100 or even FREE that they offer them to subscribers. But that doesn't stop the comments that they're being given away by Sammy or Motorola or HTC. The only thing most purchaser's know is what they supposedly paid the carrier to get one, and that's what the price is.
  • Reply 48 of 92
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

According to Goldman Sachs, Verizon iPhone sales have not been the "bloodbath" you might expect. They're looking for just over 2M sold in the second quarter. With Verizon conservatively expecting 13M iPhones sold this calendar year, they potentially are in for a disappointing report to their shareholders.

For pretty much any quarter you pick in the last couple years before Q2 2011 US operating profit is around the same as EU operating profit. Revenues are much bigger in the US but I'm assuming that's because of the much larger iTunes revenues there on very small margins.

In Q2 2011, which for Apple means the quarter that ended in March, operating income has leapt in the US to be 1.2 billion over Europe. Lets be conservative and say only 1 billion of that sudden jump is the Verizon iPhone. Even assuming a 50% gross margin that would still imply over 2million iPhones sold, in fact I'd guess it was more like 3 million.

(Look at around page 20 on any of Apple's quarterly filings for the table I'm basing this on).
  • Reply 49 of 92
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 50 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yeah the price is closer to $549 USD I believe I could be wrong though

Amazon is selling them unlocked for $489, and I would expect they're making a profit on the sale, likely their favored 30%. And ATT should be getting a better deal from Apple than Amazon would. I'm guessing closer to $300, perhaps less.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-3GS-16-...9474502&sr=8-6
  • Reply 51 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Clearly Apple's growth isn't coming at the expense of Android. RIM seems the obvious answer.

RIM is in total frigging meltdown now, check this out at BGR

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-l...es-around-him/

For the record by the way I disagree with this paragraph

Let’s obsess about what is best for the end user. We often make product decisions based on strategic alignment, partner requests or even legal advice — the end user doesn’t care. We simply have to admit that Apple is nailing this and it is one of the reasons they have people lining up overnight at stores around the world, and products sold out for months. These people aren’t hypnotized zombies, they simply love beautifully designed products that are user centric and work how they are supposed to work.

I am a hypnotized zombie and proud of it! Now somebody get me some iBrains.

On a more serious note I would say that Apple is affecting Android but only by constraining their growth, there's no evidence yet that Apple and Android pose serious existential threats to each other.
  • Reply 52 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your post is so corny at so many different levels that I don't know where to begin......

Anything in particular you're trying to say?

Something about Asian women?
  • Reply 53 of 92
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Conclusion: iOS and Android are both doing fantastically well, mostly at the expense of feature phones.
  • Reply 54 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Conclusion: iOS and Android are both doing fantastically well, mostly at the expense of feature phones.

Also at the expense of RIM/MS/Symbian/WebOS/anybody else
  • Reply 55 of 92
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CallMeMatt View Post

This statement only makes sense if you change it to read: "Among those who already own a smartphone, ..." Looks like just an editing goof to me.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Meaning that Android has 38% of all smartphones in use, Apple has 27%, Rim has 21% and WinMo has 9%. This is a percentage of all smartphones that are currently in use.
  • Reply 56 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Meaning that Android has 38% of all smartphones in use, Apple has 27%, Rim has 21% and WinMo has 9%. This is a percentage of all smartphones that are currently in use.

Yes, and at the time those percentages applied smartphones were 38% of the total handset market, so Apple has around 10% of the total market, so having 17% of current sales is amazingly strong growth.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

So, if I understand correctly, android had 27% of new activations and apple had 17%. It would appear that almost 2x as many people chose android as apple. I would hardly characterize that as apple leading growth. When apple starts recording more activations than android that would be news.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OhReally View Post

I guess it is an example of leading by falling further behind!

Responding to your own troll is pretty lame. Listen, you just joined today but if you are going to be a successful troll on AppleInsider you need to be more subtle. Guys like DaHarder were always posting pictures of their glorious Android devices. Maybe you could start by doing the same. Then at least we could get an idea of where your trolling is coming from. Eventually you'll get banned but, while you're here, try to earn some respect, okay?
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Microsoft can take pride in the fact that WP7 was beaten by "Other"
  • Reply 59 of 92
    djmikeodjmikeo Posts: 180member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Amazon is selling them unlocked for $489, and I would expect they're making a profit on the sale, likely their favored 30%. And ATT should be getting a better deal from Apple than Amazon would. I'm guessing closer to $300, perhaps less.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-3GS-16-...9474502&sr=8-6

Except the model that is on Amazon is a 16G 3Gs and is sold by a third party, not by Amazon themselves. There are no reviews on it, so I am not sure if it is actually selling. Also, it is hard to tell if this is a jailbroken model or not, as it is referred to as "Unlocked" The model that AT&T currently sells, subsidized for $49 is an 8G model. AT&T doesn't show the non-contract price on the website, so it's hard to tell what the retail price is.
  • Reply 60 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

Except the model that is on Amazon is a 16G 3Gs and is sold by a third party, not by Amazon themselves. There are no reviews on it, so I am not sure if it is actually selling. Also, it is hard to tell if this is a jailbroken model or not, as it is referred to as "Unlocked" The model that AT&T currently sells, subsidized for $49 is an 8G model. AT&T doesn't show the non-contract price on the website, so it's hard to tell what the retail price is.

It could conceivably be an unlocked model that has been parallel imported from somewhere like the UK.