Lawsuit accuses Missouri Apple Store of race, gender discrimination

Comments

• Reply 81 of 122
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This is true of most big corporations these days. However that is a goal or ideal they would like to achieve, corporation however are made up of people and people can often stray from the party line.

don't you mean the Democratic Party?

You see you demonstrate the same sort of ignorance that you accuses the Team Party members of being involved in. Frankly it is pretty easy to demonstrate that those in the Democratic Party are shallow ignorant thinkers, self centered, thieves, lazy and not concerned about the welfare of their fellow man. In fact one could easy see the parties name being changed to the Lazy No Good Thieves Party with the result that it would be a more accurate name.

In any event it doesn't support your point to fall into the same behavior you are trying to use as a negative indicator.

You sure took the bait. I don't have to generalize about the Tea Party. It's so statistically bigoted, white leaning, evangelical leaning, tax evasive leaning it makes David Duke look moderate.
  • Reply 82 of 122
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You sure took the bait. I don't have to generalize about the Tea Party. It's so statistically bigoted, white leaning, evangelical leaning, tax evasive leaning it makes David Duke look moderate.

Since you don't have to generalize, then you should have no problem providing specific support for your broad claims here.
  • Reply 83 of 122
    Quote:

If only the rest of the US was as ethnically diverse as Apple we wouldn't have a Tea Party that is chalk full of fundamentalists, bigots, fanatics and shallow thinkers.

The cliche you were reaching for is "chock full". But please educate us further regarding the shallow thinking of others.
  • Reply 84 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alanshutko View Post

St Louis is interesting because the city and surrounding county have much different demographics. St Louis County reports 23.3% black (according to the 2010 census) while St Louis City County reports 49.2% black (also 2010 census). The St Louis Galleria store is in Brentwood, MO, which is a smallish town with 1.8% black (census) but it's a typical inner suburb which is very close to other suburbs, so the potential work force can be drawn from all over. It's also close to a light rail station, so it's fairly convenient to a lot of people.

So I'd agree that 1/8 seems pretty low. On the other hand, I don't know the usual pool of applicants for those jobs, or the racial demographics of potentially qualified applicants. (For that matter, I don't even know what the qualifications are for work there.) So I wouldn't assume the facts of her case one way or the other.

Wrong! NOT Brentwood.. Richmond Heights! Check your stats again!
  • Reply 85 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Low, but not outrageously so. Other bordering communities are Clayton, Ladue, Webster Groves, and University City, all of which would be similar racial demographics to Brentwood, making the 8% seem a little low (15-20% would seem more reasonable). Clayton, Ladue, and U City are all affluent neighborhoods, and someone that does not deal well with aggressive customers would be doomed.

Wrong! NOT Brentwood.. Richmond Heights! Check your stats again!
  • Reply 86 of 122
    cashawwcashaww Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

If you do your job right you will be well treated, do it wrong and you have only your self to blame. I don't know St-Louis demography black vs white %, but if its around 10-20%, her Apple Store got the right ratio.

But what puzzle me even more is the fact that she made distinction between her situation and others lighter skinned African American. She look like to be the one who made race discrimination here.

Doing your job right does not mean you will be treated correctly, trust me on this.

The light skinned vs. dark skinned has been an issue since the end of slavery, and there has been some research done on this subject. This is not strange in US History. This happens every day with my kids.

In essence, do not dismiss this lady's claims. There is a historical basis.
  • Reply 87 of 122
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Oh crap. I get it now! Wizard69 is a conservative right-leaning righty. Standing up for the Tea Party, calling the dems names =) Maybe this is why our viewpoints don't line up so well.

If you had spent more than a second reading my response you would have realized I was responding to an unwarranted comment by the other poster.
  • Reply 88 of 122
    Quote:

So cough up something that proves your point because otherwise you are terribly misinformed. The simple reality is the Tea Party would not exist if there wasn't sound reason.

As to tax evading I've yet to see any party express a desire to avoid legitimate taxes. One fundamental problem in this country right now is that the poor and lazy think they have the right to demand the wealth of others. You simply can not deny this point. So yeah people are starting to speak up very forcibly about the hanger ons and leaches.
  • Reply 89 of 122
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I am not black and I cannot speak on their behalf, but even I know that there is more discrimination with darker skinned than lighter.

Anybody after reading this article who says this suit is rubbish or that she is wrong, is just crazy. How can any of us know one way or the other based on just this article?

She admitted to being warned about her behavior. That's why she didn't get a 5 star review and instead got a 4 star review.
  • Reply 90 of 122
    Quote:

So cough up something that proves your point because otherwise you are terribly misinformed. The simple reality is the Tea Party would not exist if there wasn't sound reason.

As to tax evading I've yet to see any party express a desire to avoid legitimate taxes. One fundamental problem in this country right now is that the poor and lazy think they have the right to demand the wealth of others. You simply can not deny this point. So yeah people are starting to speak up very forcibly about the hanger ons and leaches.

I wish the federal government would stop using the tax dollars from the blue states to fund the red states. Let those poor lazy states pay for their own stuff.

The tea party full of racists but that doesn't mean all of them are racists.The man who created the tea party is a known for having a questionable background as it relates to race issues. The whole Tea Party is based on a false premise. Taxes are at historic lows yet those losers are still gripping about paying taxes...and in many cases those same taxes built the roads those people drive on and built the infrastructure that they used to make money.

Since taxes are at historic lows...why is it that the unemployment rate is so low? Ohhh wait it's not low. It's at 9%. The fact is low taxes don't create demand for goods and services that is needed to get the economy growing enough to create jobs.

The fact that we are even here on a message board to talk about the tea party or this girl at all is the result of TAXES. If it were up to the current tea party the internet would not even exist nor would apple or msft or google or any of this stuff. TAXES are not all about income redistribution. Government does so much more than helping poor people. Most poor people are poor because they have a mental disorder and not because they are lazy.

Tea party losers simply don't believe in paying their fair share. However, they are quick to get rich using the investments in infrastructure that the government provided and that wouldn't exist without the taxes collected in previous times.
  • Reply 91 of 122
    The only way to make a fair determination of what happened here is to look at the facts. History means nothing here. Think about it, do you want to be held responsible for everything your forefathers did right or wrong?

The whole problem with this thread is everybody wants to pull in all sorts of excuses and factors that have nothing to do with the woman's appalling behavior. Frankly race is being used here but frankly it is the complainant playing the race card.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cashaww View Post

Doing your job right does not mean you will be treated correctly, trust me on this.

The light skinned vs. dark skinned has been an issue since the end of slavery, and there has been some research done on this subject. This is not strange in US History. This happens every day with my kids.

The problem is this isn't unique to you or your kids and frankly your specific race has little to do with it.

Quote:

In essence, do not dismiss this lady's claims. There is a historical basis.

Her claims can be dismissed relatively easily based on what she has written. It is pretty obvious she doesn't have the skills to work with the public. If anything she was kept on way to long.
  • Reply 92 of 122
    Quote:

The only way to make a fair determination of what happened here is to look at the facts. History means nothing here. Think about it, do you want to be held responsible for everything your forefathers did right or wrong?

The whole problem with this thread is everybody wants to pull in all sorts of excuses and factors that have nothing to do with the woman's appalling behavior. Frankly race is being used here but frankly it is the complainant playing the race card.

The problem is this isn't unique to you or your kids and frankly your specific race has little to do with it.

Her claims can be dismissed relatively easily based on what she has written. It is pretty obvious she doesn't have the skills to work with the public. If anything she was kept on way to long.

WEll at least we agree about this lady's claims. Her claims are bogus. I'm black and I'm saying that. I wish there was a way for courts to fast track these cases right out of the legal system.
  • Reply 93 of 122
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    She's black, she's a troublemaker, and she has a vagina. That's what I get from reading the article. Apple doesn't like one out of those three things. The only thing missing from this lawsuit is if she also claimed to be a member of a retarded religion and then she could have whined about religious discrimination too. Even better, she could also have been a lesbian and then claimed anti-gay discrimination.

• Reply 94 of 122
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:

If you had spent more than a second reading my response you would have realized I was responding to an unwarranted comment by the other poster.

I think I realized that just fine, actually. No need to get defensive unnecessarily =)

I was curious where her full lawsuit can be read at, or if you have read it? I don't see a link to it in the article, just the partial snippet of one page. But I would be interested to read it and see if it's just as obvious to me (as it is to you, and others, apparently) that she obviously has no case.

I just happen to think that it's in Apple's best interest to take this stuff very seriously. Why cover for a store manager if they really do have a race problem? It's also possible both are bad apples, that this employee cries racism too easily and the manager is a racist. It's worth investigating.
  • Reply 95 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I wish the federal government would stop using the tax dollars from the blue states to fund the red states. Let those poor lazy states pay for their own stuff.

I wish the federal government would stop sending any money back to the states. It is one of the biggest jokes when it comes to federal spending.

Quote:

The tea party full of racists but that doesn't mean all of them are racists.The man who created the tea party is a known for having a questionable background as it relates to race issues.

Which proves my point you can not generalize about everybody in an organization based on the opions of a few. There are many racist in the Democratic party but that does not imply everybody is.

Quote:

The whole Tea Party is based on a false premise. Taxes are at historic lows yet those losers are still gripping about paying taxes...and in many cases those same taxes built the roads those people drive on and built the infrastructure that they used to make money.

This is bull crap. Look seriously into what you would be paying tax wise if you where running your own business. There is no justification for such high rates, especially when those taxes are going to support special interest.

Of course you bring up a favorite of the left, roads and infrastructure, yet I seldom hear anybody complain about legitimate infrastructure support. The real problem is the excessive amounts of money spent on welfare, projects for special interests and money simply spent for flash in a congress mans district. The sad reality is that we are wasting a lot of money on useless when we could be putting it to better use on infrastructure and preparation for the future.

Quote:

Since taxes are at historic lows...

They aren't, not even close in fact. If you run your own business you can expect close to 50% of your income going to the government. If you work for a paycheck things aren't much better plus their are considerable hidden taxes an employer has to pay for each employee. Sadly you are grossly misinformed.

Quote:

why is it that the unemployment rate is so low? Ohhh wait it's not low. It's at 9%.

You know I've been around for a long time now. I can remember in the early 80's where the unemployment rate was around 12-15 percent.

Quote:

The fact is low taxes don't create demand for goods and services that is needed to get the economy growing enough to create jobs.

They certainly help, it is well documented that thus is the case. You increase the amount of money available to stimulate the economy. The problem today is that that money doesn't stay in the country, which is a social problem as much as anything.

The fact is the issue of stimulating the economy is very complex. When any one political party gets blamed we end up having issues because that means we aren't focusing on the problems at hand. Sadly this isn't much different than what is seen in this thread, everything gets thrown in to justify each side of the discussion with absolutely no focus on the problem at hand. If everybody did that we would all come to the same conclusion, the woman pretty much destroyed any chance of promotion all on her own.
  • Reply 96 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

Generally.

I'm black and I work with black people too. I can safely say, with some expertise, that the race card is used a lot by black folks, especially when a poor evaluation is given based on incompetence rather than color.

Fortunately I don't have to evaluate people!!!! It can never be an easy job and is seldom comfortable for anybody no matter which side of the desk they sit on.

Personally I've not have had anybody pull the race card on me. That is a good 25 years of work in one place. That doesn't mean I've never had conflicts, but that is to be expected.

Quote:

F.Y.I., I'm not African American, I'm black. African American is a bullshit phrase that was made up by someone who was trying to be P.C.

Is it any more bs than saying Irish American, Thai American, Native American, Italian American or something else? Used the wrong way I suppose any of these could be offensive. For example many would complain that "Native Anerican" pulls in to many cultures and societies. I'd like to be able to just say American but then people have problems with that. In the end it would be better to be able to say American but to many people tie their identity to their race.

Quote:

But hey, if it makes you feel less guilty

How about Jamaican American since that is where I got my last kiss from. No I don't feel guilty about that specifically.
  • Reply 97 of 122
    Not even gonna touch this one.
  • Reply 98 of 122
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

I posted a link to it. It's 47% black, 45% white. So Apple's 8% ratio is way off.

Where's the law that says that the employees of every store etc must match the demo ratios of the community.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It would interesting to know what her education is and how articulate she is. Those can be really big factors in job promotions. Even though she received a favorable review, 4 out of 5, promotions often require more than just having an acceptable review. There are a lot of intangibles, mannerisms or expectations that aren't always part of the performance review.

Reviews are also based on how well you are doing your current job. Not how well you could do the needs of another one. She might be within the expectations of a part time sales person but far below the expectations of a full time sales person or other position. thus why she wasn't promoted

Quote:

If that 5th point was related to the remark that she needed to work on her composure, that might be the issue. Some white customers at that store may be racist which could cause tension with a black sales person, but there is not much you can do about that, so long as they don't make illegal statements. That is where the composure part comes into play.

Why put the race issue in there. THere are difficult customers of all races and often they are the nasty to 'their own kind'. They expect a 'sista' to 'hook them up' or whatever and get crazy pissed when they don't get it.

Or for all we know she acts like a bitch to other employees which is part of that 'hostile environment' issue mentioned. Perhaps she's one of those types that likes to stand around and chat with her buddies rather than approach customers and gets all put out when the managers tell her to cut it out. Who knows. But there could be a dozen reasons other than her being black or a woman that are at play.

And in regards to those other 7 folks. Have any of them actually applied for a higher position. Maybe the reason none of them were promoted is because they never applied to be. Perhaps they are happy right where they are.
  • Reply 99 of 122
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Not even gonna touch this one.

That is the wise thing to do, actually.
  • Reply 100 of 122
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

Apple, the new Abercrombie and Fitch. Well, I could be wrong but until recently I have not seen many minorities in Apple advertisements. Just shiny happy snowboarders, or mountain climbers, or people at the beach.

Personally, I believe her story. Not that Apple per se is bad, but in this case the store may have had such a policy or problem with minorities.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Look at the ad for a while, the pictures change.