WSJ: Apple plans to build 25M thinner, lighter next-gen iPhones this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Thinner, lighter... what else can we say? Well, thinner will make it sharper enough to cut users' fingers!!!
  • Reply 22 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Since they are going longer than their usual 1 year cycle I can see a different form factor but typically I'd expect 2 years per base design.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    Give me something else please! Thinner, lighter, better camera - those are all expected every year. I want a 4" screen which I think would improve the device beyond belief, and I want a semi-new design - give me an aluminium back or something!?

I'll probably be getting this new iPhone so I want it to be good enough and not out-dated as soon as #6 arrives!
  • Reply 24 of 73
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foxhunter101 View Post

I want thinner, lighter, more battery life, bigger screen, 8mp camera, a much improved antenna system, 4G capable and a faster processor. Too much to ask for?

You forgot to mention that you want it delivered by a naked Megan Fox riding a pink unicorn.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    tcphototcphoto Posts: 65member
    I would be happy to upgrade if the image on 9to5mac is accurate. I am hoping that the new iphone would have a metal back but that's just aesthetics.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

You forgot to mention that you want it delivered by a naked Megan Fox riding a pink unicorn.

You have as much chance seeing Megan Fox naked as seeing a pink uniform!... Oh, wait look on the internet, megan's there... BTW, Megan Fox clothed is a 10! (ignore her hands), but topless or naked is a 6... (says the troll; LOL)
  • Reply 27 of 73
    applecationapplecation Posts: 147member
    Not thinner or lighter: If the guts can be squeezed, then more battery, please. I hope to see 24 hour battery life someday (not expecting it anytime soon).

64GB memory. Some of these apps are taking significant space. I want to fit my whole music library as well.

5MP is adequate, but move the flash! I have to remove the case to take a flash picture, due to flash reflection.

Slight increase in screen would be welcome.

Louder speakers. There are still times, in noisy surroundings, when I miss calls.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

I would be happy to upgrade if the image on 9to5mac is accurate. I am hoping that the new iphone would have a metal back but that's just aesthetics.

Super sexy... until I saw the home button... WTF?!
  • Reply 29 of 73
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I will miss the current home button. Have you ever noticed how the curve makes it project a false image so that from some angles the button looks like it's convex not concave.

Still that looks amazingly slick
  • Reply 30 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I just want a bigger screen. Android is way, way ahead on that front. 4" minimum, but I'd go for 4.3 or 4.5".

Gawd I hope not. The iPhone is the perfect size to fit in my pocket without a @#%^ case or holster. Thinner will definitely be appreciated too!
  • Reply 31 of 73
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... Those numbers could go even higher if Apple decides to continue to offer the iPhone 3GS as a free entry-level model later this year, as is rumored (sic). ...

Please stop with this BS it only makes you look stupid.

You might as well say: "I'm a dumbass American that doesn't know that the 3Gs is already offered for free in many other markets outside of the USA."
  • Reply 32 of 73
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    How surprised would anyone be if the next iPhone was thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4? Every new model is thinner and lighter than the one before it, so I'm sure that trend will continue until it reaches a point where it cannot get any thinner or lighter.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I will miss the current home button. Have you ever noticed how the curve makes it project a false image so that from some angles the button looks like it's convex not concave.

Still that looks amazingly slick

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

You people should remember that the report of the changed design has been roundly discredited and Apple Inisder is only mentioning it here out of completeness.

Anyone who has done any industrial design can tell you that the model in the picture is really not going to happen, even if they *do* have a new model this year. It's far far more likely that they will stick with the same basic design this year. Even if they move to a new one, what you see in the picture is not going to happen at all.

Besides the fact that it only has 30% of the volume of the current model (a huge jump in space savings that is rarely possible), it has the (world leading) antennas removed. Also, things on designs aren't just changed "for the hell of it" (the new home button), there has to be a good design reason. Most of the flourishes you see on this render look cool but serve no purpose. No real designer does that.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimhill View Post

I don't care about thinner & lighter at this point.

Give me more battery life.

Yes please. Though I suppose the market prefers the buzz words.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guch20 View Post

How surprised would anyone be if the next iPhone was thinner and lighter than the iPhone 4? Every new model is thinner and lighter than the one before it, so I'm sure that trend will continue until it reaches a point where it cannot get any thinner or lighter.

iphone original -135g

iphone 3g - 133g

iphone 3gs - 135g

iphone 4 - 137g

iphone original - 11.6mm

iphone 3g - 12.3mm

iphone 3gs - 12.3mm

iphone 4 - 9.3mm

Actually a lighter iPhone would represent a significant change. The trend from 3G->4 was much more about beauty and performance than weight. You think that the 4 is lighter because it's slimmer - much slimmer in fact.

Bizarrely I think that Apple likes to keep the weight up, because the feeling that the small phone is relatively dense makes it feel like a high quality object.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Bizarrely I think that Apple likes to keep the weight up, because the feeling that the small phone is relatively dense makes it feel like a high quality object.

I think there is truth in your statement.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    If a WSJ rumor doesn't come from Yukari Iwata Kane, I am not going to believe it.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    Quote:

iphone original -135g

iphone 3g - 133g

iphone 3gs - 135g

iphone 4 - 137g

iphone original - 11.6mm

iphone 3g - 12.3mm

iphone 3gs - 12.3mm

iphone 4 - 9.3mm

Actually a lighter iPhone would represent a significant change. The trend from 3G->4 was much more about beauty and performance than weight. You think that the 4 is lighter because it's slimmer - much slimmer in fact.

I stand corrected.

Honestly, the thing could be the size of a phone book (remember those?) and could weigh as much as a gold brick--just make it available on the Sprint network and I'll be there on day damn one.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Also, things on designs aren't just changed "for the hell of it" (the new home button), there has to be a good design reason.

While I agree with you that the pictured design is unlikely anytime soon, there is an obvious reason to change the home button shape - and that is to reduce the bottom margin. Apple want to keep the top and bottom margins symmetric or close, so the home button shape is a significant constraint.

Reducing the margins will likely be easier than making the model significantly thinner, than it currently is.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

A true Galaxy SII killer!!

Unless the Galaxy SII has 4G capability......