Apple rumored to be looking into new charging method for 6th-gen iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is planning a "major revamp" of the iPhone in 2012 that may include a new charging method, according to people familiar with the matter.

The Wall Street Journal added possible details of a sixth-generation iPhone to an earlier report on the so-called "iPhone 5," which is expected this fall.

Wednesday's report claimed Apple's next iPhone will be smaller and lighter with an 8-megapixel camera. The iPhone maker reportedly hopes to build 25 million units of the device by the end of 2011, though sources said the new model is "complicated and difficult to assemble" and could face production constraints.

However, investors are said to be expecting a "bigger boost" to the company's iPhone business next year. "People briefed on Apple's plans said the company is planning a major iPhone revamp then, with one person saying the company has been experimenting with features such as a new way of charging the phone," the report said.

The source was unable to provide further details on any new charging technology Apple is working on. Patent filings for a range of alternative charging methods could provide some indication of Apple's plans, though the vast majority of Apple's patent applications never see the light of day. In particular, the company has looked into induction charging of iOS devices through "non-contact based platforms." An Apple patent filing published last year described an iPad dock with inductive coils.

It has also been suggested that Apple will transition its iOS devices to connecting over the Thunderbolt port, rather than USB. The Apple and Intel co-developed standard provides power and 10Gbps of data and display. A job posting from the Cupertino, Calif., company discovered in April listed ARM processor experience as a requirement for a "Thunderbolt Software Quality Engineer" position, a possible sign that future versions of the iPhone or iPad could incorporate the technology.

The Journal's sources also contributed to a much-talked-about rumor that Apple is working on a "less-expensive phone," adding that the device could have new features such as an edge-to-edge screen. Speculation of a cheaper iPhone was reignited last week when Deutsche Bank analyst Chris Whitmore suggested that Apple will release a $349 contract-free iPhone later this year. However, analysts and media outlets disagree on whether a cheaper iPhone is indeed coming in the near future.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 53
    I would love to see a mag-safe plug with a newer and smaller form factor.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

I love the MagSafe idea, though a change in form factor to something smaller would cause ecosystem upheaval. Some accessories could still work with a 30-pin adapter/converter, but others such as speaker docks would not work without redesigning the docking portion.

Meanwhile, I see little reason for Apple to move to Thunderbolt. Even for Mac users, the port has only just been introduced, and it's non-existent on PCs in its DisplayPort form factor. Seems like until something more ubiquitous than USB comes around, we'll still be stuck with it. I for one think this will become less and less of a consideration as Apple moves towards WiFi syncing for iOS devices.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Another reason iPhone 5 will likely be the first generation that I have skipped since 2007. iPhone 4 just works too well!
  • Reply 5 of 53
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is planning a "major revamp" of the iPhone in 2012 that may include a new charging method, according to people familiar with the matter.

I heard it will be powered by the dashed hopes and dreams of android fanboys.

Too far?
  • Reply 6 of 53
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Too far?

You forgot the unicorn farts.
  • Reply 7 of 53
    jakevin.jakevin. Posts: 71member
    I don't understand why a fifth-generation phone could be difficult to assemble if it were just a tad thinner, lighter and faster with a better camera! Really hoping that iPhone 5 fulfills these iPhone 6 rumors rather than having to wait until next year.

If it was a hardware delay like analysts claim, then surely this would warrant it!
  • Reply 8 of 53
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Magsafe works well for laptops because they are heavy enough to resist being pulled off the table if you trip over the cord. You could conceivably scale down the guass for a lighter device but then you run the risk of a weak magnet making it feel cheap.

There are other tantalising possibilities. It could be primarily for helping the connector to snap into place for inductive charging. No need to dedicate space to a cavity that only serves to accept a dock connector. iCloud sync takes care of the data.
  • Reply 9 of 53
    secruosersecruoser Posts: 17member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakevin. View Post

I don't understand why a fifth-generation phone could be difficult to assemble if it were just a tad thinner, lighter and faster with a better camera! Really hoping that iPhone 5 fulfills these iPhone 6 rumors rather than having to wait until next year.

If it was a hardware delay like analysts claim, then surely this would warrant it!

You don't understand because this is not taught in general schools that serve for governments and corporations behind them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFRXlBFkUxo
  • Reply 10 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secruoser View Post

You don't understand because this is not taught in general schools that serve for governments and corporations behind them.

Excuse me? Don't patronise me with your government school rubbish. I don't attend a government school and I don't even live in the United States. I might not be as technically informed as you are but my logic tells me that a similar phone to something that's been on the market for over a year shouldn't take extra time to develop than usual.

I was and still am happy to be told otherwise - it was a personal view, and did not require an unnecessary response attacking my education or knowledge.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Quote:

Too far?

Too soon!

OTH, I think with this too many stories, iPhone 5 (a.k.a iPhone 4S) Holiday 2011 and iPhone 6 (major) Summer/Fall 2012 (yes, we will still be here -- the world will not end).
  • Reply 12 of 53
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    would love to see a magnetic induction charging system on the iphone like the touchstone on the palm pre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1V7K...eature=related
  • Reply 13 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

would love to see a magnetic induction charging system on the iphone like the touchstone on the palm pre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1V7K...eature=related

That's an awesome feature - one I'd like to see at Apple as soon as possible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Too soon!

OTH, I think with this too many stories, iPhone 5 (a.k.a iPhone 4S) Holiday 2011 and iPhone 6 (major) Summer/Fall 2012 (yes, we will still be here -- the world will not end).

Haha, I can just imagine the Apple marketing 1984-style with a 'phone to end all phones'.
  • Reply 14 of 53
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Quote:

Excuse me? Don't patronise me with your government school rubbish. I don't attend a government school and I don't even live in the United States. I might not be as technically informed as you are but my logic tells me that a similar phone to something that's been on the market for over a year shouldn't take extra time to develop than usual.

I was and still am happy to be told otherwise - it was a personal view, and did not require an unnecessary response attacking my education or knowledge.

You see--the government schools do not permit one to understand assembly of an iPhone that is just a tad thinner, lighter and faster with a better camera. They only do the bidding of the governments and corporations behind them. It is all in these two links:

What a creep
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Quote:

I apologize if you misunderstood what I mean, but I wasn't attacking your education, but the education system of the world in general, which isn't States exclusive.

What I mean is, deliberate inefficiency is 'essential' in our monetary economic system because there's profit in it. You can ask any high-level engineers in the biggest corporations, but don't expect they'll be telling. Even though the 6th gen phone's technology is available now, it's deliberately excluded from the 5th gen because 5th gen with a little upgrade means another round of profit in this consumerist system. Everyone's gotta have the latest phone, if you know what I mean.

Don't want to be long-winded here, but yeah, monetary system clashes with common sense, that's why many find it hard to understand, but most are still in the box.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

If you ask me, the obsolescence is dictated by the rapid change and progression of technology and by human nature wanting the next big thing. For something to be obsolete, by definition, the device is rendered worthless when the successive device is released, which is just not the case, especially with Apple products. The iPhone 3GS is still being sold and has a lot more longevity as far as functionality goes, provided its user is happy with its limited ability, even though it has a more limited function than current devices. AFAIK, ALL generations of iPods are still sync-able. Having said that, Apple marketing almost makes it irresistible to buy the next big thing.

IMHO, when speaking about electronic devices, it's cynical to think obsolescence is planned on the drawing board to the degree that you are implying. Isn't it the nature of the (technological) beast, so to speak?

I still use my iPod Mini and 1st gen. iPod nano on a regular basis. Nothing obsolete about them. I even full-cycle washed and dried the Nano and it still works!
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Quote:

I apologize if you misunderstood what I mean, but I wasn't attacking your education, but the education system of the world in general, which isn't States exclusive.

What I mean is, deliberate inefficiency is 'essential' in our monetary economic system because there's profit in it. You can ask any high-level engineers in the biggest corporations, but don't expect they'll be telling. Even though the 6th gen phone's technology is available now, it's deliberately excluded from the 5th gen because 5th gen with a little upgrade means another round of profit in this consumerist system. Everyone's gotta have the latest phone, if you know what I mean.

Don't want to be long-winded here, but yeah, monetary system clashes with common sense, that's why many find it hard to understand, but most are still in the box.

Sorry, I was indeed mistaken. I agree with you completely, although I read somewhere (perhaps on 9to5 Mac rather than here) that analysts believed the iPhone 5 was delayed from a summer launch because of a hardware issue and then reading here that is was difficult to assemble made me question the likelihood of it being difficult because it's only a minor upgrade... doesn't make sense.

But yeah, a minor upgrade that keeps Apple ahead but not too far ahead is perfectly acceptable from a business stand-point. As a consumer wish to buy the next iPhone, however, I obviously want the best so as to not be outdated too quickly. Haha, selfish I know...
  • Reply 18 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

If you ask me, the obsolescence is dictated by the rapid change and progression of technology and by human nature wanting the next big thing. For something to be obsolete, by definition, the device is rendered worthless when the successive device is released

Exactly! I get so sick of people thinking that if something is not the newest thing available then it's obsolete. If it's still of general use, it's not obsolete.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

If you ask me, the obsolescence is dictated by the rapid change and progression of technology and by human nature wanting the next big thing. For something to be obsolete, by definition, the device is rendered worthless when the successive device is released, which is just not the case, especially with Apple products. The iPhone 3GS is still being sold and has a lot more longevity as far as functionality goes, provided its user is happy with its limited ability, even though it has a more limited function than current devices. AFAIK, ALL generations of iPods are still sync-able. Having said that, Apple marketing almost makes it irresistible to buy the next big thing.

IMHO, when speaking about electronic devices, it's cynical to think obsolescence is planned on the drawing board to the degree that you are implying. Isn't it the nature of the (technological) beast, so to speak?

I still use my iPod Mini and 1st gen. iPod nano on a regular basis. Nothing obsolete about them. I even full-cycle washed and dried the Nano and it still works!

The Story of Stuff

"Perceived obsolescence is the method by which things that are perfectly good are made to be obsolete. If the way something looks is updated, then everyone can tell that you haven?t contributed to the ?Golden Arrow? lately. Advertising and media play a huge role in this. The point of an ad is to make us unhappy with what we have."

If products are made to last, whether perceived or physical, the monetary system as we know it will go down the drain very fast (not that it's not going down the drain now).
  • Reply 20 of 53
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Magsafe works well for laptops because they are heavy enough to resist being pulled off the table if you trip over the cord. You could conceivably scale down the guass for a lighter device but then you run the risk of a weak magnet making it feel cheap.

Magsafe doesn't even work as well now with laptops as it used to. The newer cable design is better for reducing cable wear but means there are some angles at which magsafe won't disconnect.

Personally I'm seriously unconvinced by the induction coil idea. In order to get power across at a decent rate you'd need a coil of significant size - and Apple obviously want to reduce the size of their device as far as they can.