or

FB Interstate

or

Univers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    all nice

what about Meta, Frutiger and Gill? just to throw in a few classic workhorses.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    <evil>MS Comic Sans</evil>

Someone here apparently thinks so, because when the city decided to imprint various philosophical quotes into the sidewalks along one of the main streets, that's the font they used. It really is written in stone.

Gah.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    a list of my current favs...

sans:

Trade Gothic Condensed 20 ( all caps of course).

Helvetica Neue Extended

Akzidenz Grotesk

DIN Schriften

Interstate

serif:

Garamond 3

Sabon
  • Reply 4 of 37
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    where are you folks getting these fonts? buying them or are some of the aforementioned free?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Trajan and Officina Sans
  • Reply 6 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Asaph:

<strong>where are you folks getting these fonts? buying them or are some of the aforementioned free?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'm a designer at a design firm, we have a slew of fonts lying around the shop, and yes, we even paid for some of them.

• Reply 7 of 37
    [quote] Trajan and Officina Sans <hr></blockquote>

Go Trajan ... me too, Anyone for Skia?
  • Reply 8 of 37
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    running with scissors

You've got to try Trade Gothic Light with negative kerning (about -5 or -10 in Quark). Beautiful for that delicate kiss-close look. Great for display.

Also check out News Gothic MT (make sure it's the MT Monotype version, the Adobe version is sh!t).
  • Reply 9 of 37
    old favourites (corporate use rubbed off on me)

Stone Sans

Copperplate Gothic from 29-33

Blur (not suitable for body copy)

Bookwoman or Book Antiqua

art deco attempts on other platform:

Desdemona

Bernhard Modern (condensed at times)

least favourite (overexposed):

that pseudo-viking Diablo/Tazo with quadranted O and wimpy T

courier (help, it's monospaced ascii land)

times new roman

any cursive script for anything but wedding invites.

any italics on web pages...

and for an interesting read on the mechanical hows and why's of certain font evolution in the typographically challenged world of the web, check out the comprehensive comparisons of fonts across platforms at <a href="http://www.wpdfd.com/index.htm"; target="_blank">web page design for designers</a>

read the five pages on typography

chock full of interesting tidbits on screen res differences, why anti-aliasing can be good in print and bad on screen...

always one of my top 10 recommended readings to all web/graphic design students

-

edit: it would be nice to see samples of the fonts in this page for those unfamiliar with the particular kerning or spacing of a preferred version of a font... some of the font sites are just too image heavy to link a full page, and a few i can think of are all black bkgnd

ymmv

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: curiousuburb ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 37
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Favorites/Most Used: Trade Gothic, Meta Plus, ITC Officina Sans

Current Faves: Info Office (can you tell I'm a Erik Spiekermann / Ole Schäfer fan yet?) and Cholla (Emigre).
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Gill Sans, Minion, Galliard, Electra, Baskerville.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Courier. Just because its everywhere. Im typing with it right now.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by I-bent-my-wookie:

<strong>Courier. Just because its everywhere. Im typing with it right now. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I just noticed that we type our posts in courier but they are displayed in arial tho
  • Reply 14 of 37
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    [quote]Originally posted by 709:

<strong>Favorites/Most Used: Trade Gothic, Meta Plus, ITC Officina Sans

Current Faves: Info Office (can you tell I'm a Erik Spiekermann / Ole Schäfer fan yet?) and Cholla (Emigre).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Emigre is way cool
  • Reply 15 of 37
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    The font you write posts in depends on your browser's settings, and the board font is Lucida Grande, not Arial.

Some of my favorites: Still Time, SF Square Head, Seraphim, Eurostile.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    This site might make this site a bit more understandable to interested outsiders (like myself)

<a href="http://www.veer.com/products/type/"; target="_blank">http://www.veer.com/products/type/</a>;

here's a couple to get you going:

Univers

Frutiger

Gill Sans

Hmm. Images too big? I'll let a mod decide, it is (or should be) a visual thread anyway.

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: stupider...likeafox ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Do you folks remember the trend of lousy fonts we went through when "desktop publishing" was the buzzword?

for example:

Industria

Insignia

and Palatino was used ad nauseum.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I like Veranda. I especially like how it combines the best qualities of serif and sans-serif fonts to make it very smooth while still allowing you to distinguish between I and l. Good computer font.

For reading on paper, I have to go with the all time classic, Times.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>I like Veranda. I especially like how it combines the best qualities of serif and sans-serif fonts to make it very smooth while still allowing you to distinguish between I and l. Good computer font.

For reading on paper, I have to go with the all time classic, Times.</strong><hr></blockquote>

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

for the love of god, make it stop.

make it stop!
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Sabon, Stempel Garamond

Syntax, Eurostile

Rhode, Clarendon