Leaked images show Apple's new Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    At present they're ridiculously priced -> Almost as expensive as a 20" iMac. And two thirds of the price of a 27" computer iMac.

An elegant solution could be to re-introduce a (cheaper) 24" Cinema display?!
  • Reply 22 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I am not so concerned about anti-glare. I would like to see them increase the refresh rate above 60Hz.

In the PC world, people have found you can take a 3D monitor which has a 120Hz refresh rate to enable 60Hz for each eye, and disable the 3D part and just have a normal monitor that goes at 120Hz, and it looks great! And this is not some fake doubling like TVs do, it's true 120.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    popinfreshpopinfresh Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Why Won't 13" MBP Thunderbolt Support Two External 2560 x 1600 Monitors? I thought all Thunderbolt ports support Dual Link displays. No?

As the others have said, It's because of the Intel HD 3000 IGP. But also I think you are confused on Dual Link and Dual Monitor. Dual Link was paring 2 logical display paths to achieve a higher resolution display. This does not mean that it can or does support 2 monitors. However Thunderbolt does support the amount of bandwidth to handle 2 high resolution display's and then some. But alas it still needs to have a GFx card that is capable of actually delivering that many pixels.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would have clicked on the petition but your hyperbole got in the way.

Health issue?

Give me a break.

...and your hubris gets in the way yet again.

Since this is the only website you read apparently, let me help get you started with the hundreds of thousands of articles and research that point to these useless Apple displays being a health issue.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7651269_hea...-monitors.html

Also, check out Apple's own discussion forums and read the tens of thousands of users complaining about eye strain and headaches.

You gotta stop with this 'it's not good unless SJ says it's good' indoctrination you have Prof.

Too many shareholders in that boat will sink it.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple: this is a health and productivity issue. Please, include matte displays, at least as an option.

Just go buy someone else's display already
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Why would a display need Ethernet?

So with one connector to my laptop I could get my Ethernet, keyboard, mouse and all other peripherals.

Heck, I would love to see a monitor or box with a discrete video card so that when I dock my MacBook Air it would work better with games or software like Aperture.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

You gotta stop with this 'it's not good unless SJ says it's good' indoctrination you have Prof.

Oh for crying out loud - as long as there are plenty of third party alternatives Apple doesn't have to do anything.

Heck even if there weren't they still don't have to do anything.

Get off it. Your in the minority. No one cares. Your not going to get them to change their mind. You can dogmatically push your little cause and we can dogmatically point the absurdity of your "cause".

Edit - and quoting ehow.com? That link baiting click farm? Ha!
  • Reply 28 of 73
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

...and your hubris gets in the way yet again.

Since this is the only website you read apparently, let me help get you started with the hundreds of thousands of articles and research that point to these useless Apple displays being a health issue.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7651269_hea...-monitors.html

Also, check out Apple's own discussion forums and read the tens of thousands of users complaining about eye strain and headaches.

Well, signing a petition has certainly proven to be an effective way to get Apple to do something...
  • Reply 29 of 73
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Maybe I have this wrong, but I thought that the thunderbolt cable only had one video passthrough. It looks connected to two monitors. Maybe the new displays have built-in video cards that run over the data side of the thunderbolt cable. The thunderbolt cable is 20 Gb/s full duplex compared to only 8 Gb/s for PCI Express 16X. I bet they could fit some pretty nice video cards in those cinema display cases. I wonder if there will be other peripherals like ethernet?
  • Reply 30 of 73
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Oh for crying out loud - as long as there are plenty of third party alternatives Apple doesn't have to do anything.

Get off it. Your in the minority. No one cares. Your not going to get them to change their mind. You can dogmatically push your little cause and we can dogmatically point the absurdity of your "cause".

And yet - there was no option for matte screens on MacBook Pros for quite a while. We don't know why Apple started offering that option - could it be because there were enough complaints about it? Of course not (according to you). Also, the MacBook Airs are noticeably less glossy than other Apple computers.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

More consumer level over-priced useless crap or are they going to release a matte version and make it an awesome display?

It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but to say it's useless is a bit much. As these are add-on monitors, it's very tough to get behind the complaints, you can get someone else's monitor.

Here are two high resolution monitors with anti glare treatments:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...=baynoteSearch

If daisy-chaining is your interest, then you'll probably have to wait until they update their monitors.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

And yet - there was no option for matte screens on MacBook Pros for quite a while. We don't know why Apple started offering that option - could it be because there were enough complaints about it? Of course not (according to you). Also, the MacBook Airs are noticeably less glossy than other Apple computers.

They were probably tired of people cleaning their screens with ammonia then calling AppleCare. I bet the glass also makes the MacBooks (except the Air which is lighter and will flex less when held at the edge) a little less fragile. I don't mind the glass. Just angle the screen away from bright lights. It actually gives a higher contrast image without the matte effect. The matte displays are probably slightly better for graphic designers because specular properties will throw off the color slightly, but it is still emitted light so accuracy is still way off from reflected light (the gold standard) which our eyes are an order of magnitude more sensitive to. Maybe one day there will be color eInk displays to give color accuracy nirvana to all of those that swear (incorrectly) that they can get accurate color from a matte display.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

They were probably tired of people cleaning their screens with ammonia then calling AppleCare.

Is that really a problem these days? If it were a big problem, I'd think that more computer makers would be putting glass on their displays.

I still maintain that matte vs. gloss are a false dichotomy, there are good anti-glare coats available don't have a diffusion problem and don't reflect glare so badly, it's the best of both worlds in my opinion. Apple had a light anti-glare surface on their pre-glass glossy screens, it's a shame that went away.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    grouty2grouty2 Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Health issue?

Give me a break.

Actually, if you had clicked on the link you would have been able to read about people's health issues. An eye opener to me. (no pun intended).
  • Reply 35 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

At present they're ridiculously priced -> Almost as expensive as a 20" iMac. And two thirds of the price of a 27" computer iMac.

An elegant solution could be to re-introduce a (cheaper) 24" Cinema display?!

I agree on the 24" Cinema but it appears you haven't shopped around for 27" 2560x1440 displays.

Dell 27 with no speakers or Facetime camera $999

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...284&redirect=1

NEC 27" display $1199

http://www.amazon.com/NEC-PA271w-bk-.../dp/B003LD1QRY

The assumption often is that if Apple is pricing something at $X dollars the competition is considerably cheaper but one of the reasons why Apple's success has been off the charts is in fact because Apple pricing now is quite competitive.

http://www.nextag.com/27-monitor-256...0/compare-html
  • Reply 36 of 73
    cityguidecityguide Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Health issue?

Give me a break.

Computer Vision Syndrome is a fairly well documented malady affecting many people to various degrees. One of the most common complaints as far as glossy screens are concerned has to do with posture (mechanical compensation).

High-gloss screen advisory from the Queensland University of Technology:

http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/healthsafe.../highGloss.jsp

However there are those like my niece, with severe astigmatism which makes the glare especially troublesome. Apple has a long history of providing alternatives to keyboard and mouse controls employed by most of us, and the matte option was a similar nod to that effort.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Interesting that you accuse someone of dogma simply for asking for an option that you have no interest in. There can be no doubt that there are a significant number of people who would prefer a matte monitor. There must also be those out there for whom a glossy monitor is not optimal. Expressing the opinion that Apple would be doing well by its customers by offering a choice seems to me to be reasonable.

I'm not sure the suggestion that those who want to have a matte monitor should buy another brand is well considered. It makes sense only for those people who are buying Mac Pro or Mac Mini systems. If I buy a laptop or an iMac the display comes built-in and there is no real choice across the range.

Personally, I prefer a matte screen. I don't have a medical need. I'm not a graphics professional. I just prefer the lack of reflection. I'd like to have a choice. I'd also like to be able to express that desire without being attacked for it. Hope that is not too dogmatic for you.\
  • Reply 38 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    How do you have glare without a second light source people?

If I'm sensitive to glare i'm going to change my environment and reduce the

opportunity for light to reflect off the screen.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

How do you have glare without a second light source people?

If I'm sensitive to glare i'm going to change my environment and reduce the

opportunity for light to reflect off the screen.

Not everyone has total control of their environment. Offices, libraries, outdoors, public transport are all places people use computer screens. At my place of work I have an allocated desk, in an allocated position and no opportunity to change it. Matte used to be a $50 option which I would have paid quite happily. It is a shame Apple have removed it.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Well, signing a petition has certainly proven to be an effective way to get Apple to do something...

As has putting a complaint in your signature line on a forum...