Leaked images show Apple's new Thunderbolt LED Cinema Display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grouty2 View Post

Not everyone has total control of their environment. Offices, libraries, outdoors, public transport are all places people use computer screens. At my place of work I have an allocated desk, in an allocated position and no opportunity to change it. Matte used to be a $50 option which I would have paid quite happily. It is a shame Apple have removed it.

If it's a place of business by law (American Disabilities Act) they have to "reasonably" accommodate any special needs for the employee, so the purchase of a hood for the LCD would be most appropriate.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

As has putting a complaint in your signature line on a forum...

Actually. that isn't a complaint just a simple statement of fact. I am not a pro editor and think FCPX is great! (Many pros do too}.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Uh Oh, you guys are expecting Apple to support Pros. Because of rants on comment boards we all know what Apple thinks of Pros these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

The main reason to have an ethernet port is since these displays will be used by pro shops (graphic design, video, audio, etc) and we typically need to move our files to the network. Gigabit ethernet is a far cry from WiFi speeds. With Ethernet in the back of the display, you can easily disconnect your MBP/A for a meeting and then come back and "plug in" with one cord.

• Reply 44 of 73
    grouty2grouty2 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually. that isn't a complaint just a simple statement of fact. I am not a pro editor and think FCPX is great! (Many pros do too}.

I presume you chose that particular "simple statement of fact" for a reason? I'm guessing most people reading it would assume that this was something you think should be brought to our attention or should be addressed, presumably, by Apple. There are many other simple facts you could have chosen to publicise. Of course your signature is yours to do with as you please...
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

If it's a place of business by law (American Disabilities Act) they have to "reasonably" accommodate any special needs for the employee, so the purchase of a hood for the LCD would be most appropriate.

Why do you assume I am in America? I'm not. Neither are a lot of Apple customers. Nor does this address the mobility of laptops and their use in many different environments.

Let me say as clearly as I can: I am not saying Apple is evil because they don't offer me the option of a matte screen. I am saying I would be happier if they reinstated the choice they used to offer customers in this matter.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    Quote:

I presume you chose that particular "simple statement of fact" for a reason? I'm guessing most people reading it would assume that this was something you think should be brought to our attention or should be addressed, presumably, by Apple. There are many other simple facts you could have chosen to publicise. Of course your signature is yours to do with as you please...

Yeah. I was following and posting on a lot of FCP threads. I think it is stupid the way Apple discontinued FCP7 without warning -- esentially saying to the pros move to FCPX or move to the commpetition.

My sig, sarcastically, points the irationallity of that Apple decision -- in the very few words availablt in a sig.

BTW, I am an AAPL sharehollder, and a long time user of Apple computers (since 1978).

I like to jerk their chain, every now and again.
  • Reply 47 of 73
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

Let me say as clearly as I can: I am not saying Apple is evil because they don't offer me the option of a matte screen. I am saying I would be happier if they reinstated the choice they used to offer customers in this matter.

Well they do offer it on some of the laptop lines at least, I'm not sure why they don't offer it on the desktop panels, it does seem odd. Seems like a lot of geeks prefer the matte, though personally I prefer the clarity of the glossy.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    Quote:

Yeah. I was following and posting on a lot of FCP threads. I think it is stupid the way Apple discontinued FCP7 without warning -- esentially saying to the pros move to FCPX or move to the commpetition.

My sig, sarcastically, points the irationallity of that Apple decision -- in the very few words availablt in a sig.

BTW, I am an AAPL sharehollder, and a long time user of Apple computers (since 1978).

I like to jerk their chain, every now and again.

Thanks for the reasoned reply. It is nice to see that there are people who don't get angry and upset at being questioned. I agree with you about Apple's apparently absurd invitation for professional editors to move to FCPX or to Adobe, Avid or the likes.

I'm not sure what level of interest Apple has in the opinions of people who populate these boards but I think they would be foolish to ignore interested users such as those here completely. I do think it is worth stating an opinion whenever the opportunity is allowed. Whether that is in a signature line or in a post we need to communicate what we want from others. If we don't then we have no right to complain that we don't get it. Online polls, petitions or on a forum such as this are all ways to express ourselves. They may not be truly effective in producing change but they are the only outlet many users of Apple products have for any dissatisfaction they might feel with the company's products or decisions.

It is a shame when some here shout down other's reasonably expressed opinions and accuse them of "dogma" because they are even slightly critical of Apple. Just my 2¢.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Well they do offer it on some of the laptop lines at least, I'm not sure why they don't offer it on the desktop panels, it does seem odd. Seems like a lot of geeks prefer the matte, though personally I prefer the clarity of the glossy.

I am pleased to be considered a "geek". I'm not sure I have the other attributes required to aspire to such a sobriquet but I'm flattered all the same.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive for Apple to offer matte as an option across the range. I admit it looks cool in the showrooms to have lots of glossy screens around but, for me, it impacts on the usability so is a turn off.
  • Reply 50 of 73
    Quote:

Thanks for the reasoned reply. It is nice to see that there are people who don't get angry and upset at being questioned. I agree with you about Apple's apparently absurd invitation for professional editors to move to FCPX or to Adobe, Avid or the likes.

I'm not sure what level of interest Apple has in the opinions of people who populate these boards but I think they would be foolish to ignore interested users such as those here completely. I do think it is worth stating an opinion whenever the opportunity is allowed. Whether that is in a signature line or in a post we need to communicate what we want from others. If we don't then we have no right to complain that we don't get it. Online polls, petitions or on a forum such as this are all ways to express ourselves. They may not be truly effective in producing change but they are the only outlet many users of Apple products have for any dissatisfaction they might feel with the company's products or decisions.

It is a shame when some here shout down other's reasonably expressed opinions and accuse them of "dogma" because they are even slightly critical of Apple. Just my 2¢.

+++ QFT

I hope you are OK with kissy cats!

Edit: Sometimes an offbeat comment from "out of the blue" will resonate -- where a reasoned argument will not gain traction.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    Quote:

+++ QFT

I hope you are OK with kissy cats!

Couldn't agree more. [I like dogs though]
  • Reply 52 of 73
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    In my opinion, the current cinema display is amazing. I have one at work and I'm thinking of getting the new one for home. Everyone comments on how "gorgeous" the screen images are. We have Dell monitors in the same size (and literally use the same LCD panel manufacturer as Apple's Cinema Display) in their matte finish. People want the Apple Cinema Displays. They say the Dell monitors look fuzzy after having used the Apple one for awhile. They ask me why Apple's are so much crisper and clearer.

The glossy doesn't seem be a problem for me on the desktop displays (iMacs or Cinema Display). It has annoyed me on the MacBook Pros. I bought my 17" MacBook Pro with the anti-glare two years ago. Having used my iPhone, iPad, and a glossy MacBook Pro at work from time-to-time, the glossy doesn't seem to be as big of an issue for me now as it was back then. Could I be getting used to glossy?
  • Reply 53 of 73
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

It will have the full complement of modern connectors -- RS232, Centronics, SCSI, S!00, ADB, Omninet, Nestar, Tocken Ring,AppleTalk...

SCSI is a real man's interface. Not these froo froo ones with tiny connectors and insanely high bandwidth through anorexic cables. I like my cables big, thick and beige with meaty connectors and metal clips.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

SCSI is a real man's interface. Not these froo froo ones with tiny connectors and insanely high bandwidth through anorexic cables. I like my cables big, thick and beige with meaty connectors and metal clips.

I have a SCSI terminator that weighs more than my iPad.

...talk about daisy chaining... Any devices you could fit within a 3-foot radius.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

More consumer level over-priced useless crap or are they going to release a matte version and make it an awesome display?

You want matte? Slap some plastic on the front of it and done with it.

Some of us really do prefer the glossy face, and light out work area appropriately.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I would have clicked on the petition but your hyperbole got in the way.

Health issue?

Give me a break.

Probably a reference to his elevated blood pressure.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

You want matte? Slap some plastic on the front of it and done with it.

Some of us really do prefer the glossy face, and light out work area appropriately.

A thousand times this. I can recommend these. I've put about 6 of them on at my work where the light from windows causes too much glare.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Beardsley View Post

A thousand times this. I can recommend these. I've put about 6 of them on at my work where the light from windows causes too much glare.

At last a response which goes beyond the "Apple does it this way so suck it up" level and offers a solution. Thanks for this. You'd think from the responses such as those from SteveH that those of us who have dared to suggest that it would be nice to be able to specify a matte screen, as we used to, that we were advocating an abolition of glossy screens.

Now there's a thought. I wonder how loud the pro-glossy faction would be if that option were to go away. From the responses I've seen here I would assume 1 of 2 things. Either they would suck it up because "Apple doesn't make bad decisions" or they would be a lot more vitriolic that the pro-matte lobby has been. I know I shouldn't be surprised at the sort of knee jerk responses we see from people on forums such as these yet it never ceases to get to me.

I'm never sure whether the poor spelling and grammar are an indication of a lack of intelligence/education or that these are otherwise bright people who simply cannot wait to get their ill considered thoughts out there long enough to proof read them.

If we can buy these films for $20 then I'm sure it would be trivial for Apple to use a similar solution and provide what so many people have expressed an interest in. Anyway, thanks again for the link and the recommendation at least now we know they work.
  • Reply 59 of 73
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Such a great display + the horrid glass = no buy.
  • Reply 60 of 73
    Quote:

I wonder how loud the pro-glossy faction would be if that option were to go away.

Probably not loud at all. I don't recall any "Apple has GOT to go gloss!" cries during the matte days.

All Apple has to do is offer matte as BTO (ideally with anti-glare glass versus film), and everyone goes home happy.