Apple Cinema Display page under maintenance ahead of Thunderbolt update

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Nope. We are asking for a matte option. Choice is good.

No, it's called spoon-clanging. You want them to listen to you? You have to hit them where it hurts: drastically lowered sales for a product because Mac owners are buying their display units elsewhere because they want a matte option.
  • Reply 22 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:

You'll give up your crusade once you actually own something glossy.

I certainly did. It's called 'don't shine a 500-watt lamp directly at your computer screen and you'll be fine'.
  • Reply 23 of 90
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Maybe at 70+ years I appreciate reflection: it assures me that I am still alive.

That comment wins the thread
  • Reply 24 of 90
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I suppose if a product has top 40 reviews as one to two stars due to the glass, it's a epic failure of choice...

Keep in mind that you don't have to have bought the product to review it and you don't have to write a review if you have bought it.

So rather like all those nasty reviews for FCPX, the review counts don't tell the full story.There could be hundreds of folks for whom the issue isn't an issue. Either they don't mind a little effort to place their lighting appropriately, etc or they simply don't get the Apple display
  • Reply 25 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

You want them to listen to you? You have to hit them where it hurts: drastically lowered sales for a product

Already there. I've deferred a handful of iMac purchases this year alone because we need computers, not mirrors.

This may have rather insidious effects for Apple. They're in boom times, why should they care about a squeaky wheel? Reminds me of pre-disaster General Motors: sales were great, product was flawed, consumers screamed for better, GM didn't listen. We all saw what happened there.

The frustrating point is Apple could earn a lot of goodwill (and, yes, more sales) by offering a trivial option their customers would happily pay for. Yet Apple doesn't do it.
  • Reply 26 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Already there. I've deferred a handful of iMac purchases this year alone because we need computers, not mirrors.

So try turning them on and you'll stop whining. Screens tend to light up of their own accord.

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

Quote:

This may have rather insidious effects for Apple.

You and your five matte friends have nothing to do with Apple's success.

Quote:

They're in boom times, why should they care about a squeaky wheel? Reminds me of pre-disaster General Motors: sales were great, product was flawed, consumers screamed for better, GM didn't listen. We all saw what happened there.

Yeah. Apple continued to sell millions of devices, more each quarter, because 90% of the population couldn't care less.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about anything remotely the same as we were.
  • Reply 27 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Either that - or the tiny percentage of people who are all worked up about the glass but are too cheap to buy a screen protector are very, very vocal.

I could not agree more, I purchased my first gloss screen from Apple last year and have loved it since day one for photo editing and video work, that monster 27 is a dream; and in fact my wife and I liked them so much we treated all of our employees to new 27" cinemas a month after we bought ours, we have not had any complaints about them so far; rather the opposite they have been praising the new monitors.

Some people just like to complain about anything they can
  • Reply 28 of 90
    mymoonmymoon Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I don't have anything glossy in my house. My Aquos HDTV is matted. My dying BenQ notebook is matted. My Samsung 22" monitor is matted, yet I plan to buy a new MBA (and an iMac later). I don't like it but I think I can live with it. :sigh:

Yes, immediately after ordering my iPad, I also purchased a matte screen film. Glossy screens are, well, just too glossy for me!
  • Reply 29 of 90
    It could be that Lion was due to launch either Thursday or Friday just gone, but for whatever reason Apple are having to delay the launch. So, all the work to relaunch apple.com was in place with Lion wallpapers on all the screens, but this is now all on hold and Lion related content is being removed for the time being.
  • Reply 30 of 90
    Has to be in preparation for the Thunderbolt+Lion-loaded MacBook Air.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

It could be that Lion was due to launch either Thursday or Friday just gone, but for whatever reason Apple are having to delay the launch. So, all the work to relaunch apple.com was in place with Lion wallpapers on all the screens, but this is now all on hold and Lion related content is being removed for the time being.

Hope they're still fixing Lion. The GM's bugs need ironed out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

Has to be in preparation for the Thunderbolt+Lion-loaded MacBook Air.

They really don't have a thing to do with one another.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Can the Intel HD graphics in the 13' Pro push two large displays plus its own like that? Heck, the base 15' might even struggle with its higher end AMD 6490 with only 256mb of video memory.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    Wow! A MacBook Pro with it's monitor hooked to two more monitors and my Final Cut Pro X that can't use either of the two extra monitors... Just what I needed!!!
  • Reply 34 of 90
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

No, it's called spoon-clanging. You want them to listen to you? You have to hit them where it hurts: drastically lowered sales for a product because Mac owners are buying their display units elsewhere because they want a matte option.

Good luck with that campaign. If you really "need* a matte screen, why not just buy a MacPro or a mini and hook up one of several matte screen displays that can be had? Apple won't even notice you and the 12 others who did so and all will be happy.
  • Reply 35 of 90
    The original discovery was actually posted on FinalCutStudio.info's fan page at https://www.facebook.com/FinalCutStu...20647051304704 three hours before it was reported on TUAB as mentioned in the article.
  • Reply 36 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

When you state that does it even sound rational to you? IMac is a very good computer, it is silky to say it isn't when it is one of the best iMac offerings ever.

Quote:

This may have rather insidious effects for Apple. They're in boom times, why should they care about a squeaky wheel? Reminds me of pre-disaster General Motors: sales were great, product was flawed, consumers screamed for better, GM didn't listen. We all saw what happened there.

the problem here is that the product isnt flawed at all. Rather it is your bone headed belief that matte screens are superior.

You are so set in your ways that if you did buy a new iMac the first thing you would do is set it up to look for those dreaded reflections. You would make sure you found some too. All the while you would ignore any of the positive aspects of the screens.

Quote:

The frustrating point is Apple could earn a lot of goodwill (and, yes, more sales) by offering a trivial option their customers would happily pay for. Yet Apple doesn't do it.

They certainly could if they sold enough to justify the expense of a matte screen. I don't see this ever happening because most people realize it is a poor choice.

Think about what a matte screen does. It effectively blurs the image on screen. Now imagine a resolution doubled screen, what would be the point in all off those pixels if they are rendered in distinct due to a matte screen?

Now would it be bad of Apple to try to attack this problem in a different way. Say for example a vacuum coated anti reflection surface on the glass? No it wouldn't be a bad idea but it would be more costly than a matte screen yet again.
  • Reply 37 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmperorsNewClothes View Post

1. As Tallest Skill pointed out they might be fixing some bugs that slipped into the GM.

2. The last quarter could be a blow out and they are scheming to release after the numbers are rekeased so that brand new machines are in the pipeline along with all the PR buzz.

3. Something else happened. Maybe they where looking for a mole or something else that hasn't come to light.

I still suspect that this is a minor delay. We may only be talking a week or two.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So try turning them on and you'll stop whining. Screens tend to light up of their own accord.

FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE.

Have turned them on, makes no difference. As I'm not egotistical or paranoid, I don't need to spend each day looking at my reflection and everything behind me.

Apple could introduce an opaque screen coating, and you'd probably argue how great it was.

Quote:

You and your five matte friends have nothing to do with Apple's success.

I dunno, Apple was pretty successful before matte came along. And IIRC nobody asked for gloss, Apple imposed it.

Quote:

Yeah. Apple continued to sell millions of devices, more each quarter, because 90% of the population couldn't care less.

90% of the population also uses Windows. Just sayin'.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    Quote:

Have turned them on, makes no difference.

Other then the fact that they don't act as "mirrors" when they're turned on.

Quote:

As I'm not egotistical or paranoid, I don't need to spend each day looking at my reflection and everything behind me.

Then how about actually trying to look at an iMac or any other glossy screen before you say another word? It's obvious you haven't. At least, not when they're on.

Quote:

Apple could introduce an opaque screen coating, and you'd probably argue how great it was.

There you go again, implying glossy screens change the way you see the interface. Nonsense.

Quote:

I dunno, Apple was pretty successful before matte came along. And IIRC nobody asked for gloss, Apple imposed it.

Your first sentence doesn't make any sense.

And please explain how you suffered through the CRT era. Or maybe you just weren't born when people were using CRTs.

Quote:

90% of the population also uses Windows. Just sayin'.

OS choice has nothing to do with what kind of screen you use.

Because you can just by any of the ten million matte screens that other people sell.

The argument was over before it started. You want Apple to change? Stop buying their products. It's pretty simple to understand.
  • Reply 40 of 90
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I just have to laugh at all the glossy Apple displays, before returning to my matte finish 30" Cinema displays (which can still be found on ebay and craigslist.) More pixels than the 27-incher is better, too.