Apple Cinema Display page under maintenance ahead of Thunderbolt update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I just have to laugh at all the glossy Apple displays, before returning to my matte finish 30" Cinema displays (which can still be found on ebay and craigslist.) More pixels than the 27-incher is better, too.

Enjoy your slowly-dying backlight and your eight-year-old panel.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justamacguy View Post

Wow! A MacBook Pro with it's monitor hooked to two more monitors and my Final Cut Pro X that can't use either of the two extra monitors... Just what I needed!!!

You could always run FCPX on one and have a blog open complaining about it on the other.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Market_Player

Some people just like to complain about anything they can

Except there are perfectly valid reasons for complaining. You can get used to glossy but you never needed to get used to matte. You can adjust your lighting and seating position with glossy but you never needed to with matte.

There are artifacts with both screens - with matte, it diffuses light over the panel so it washes out blacks a bit; with glossy, you get a reflected overlay on top of blacks.

Neither artifact is nice. The reflected overlay can be very annoying if you are near a window with things moving behind you. Aha, just move the computer right? Yeah, with matte you didn't need to.

The word glossy is synonymous with glare and that's not a positive feature. It doesn't automatically make it worse than matte but it certainly doesn't make it better either.

Both types of monitor are bad and there needs to be a new setup where you get the benefit of a fully transmitting panel coupled with a non-reflecting but smooth overlay. There was a new technique developed a while ago but obviously hasn't caught on:

http://source.theengineer.co.uk/mate.../90021.article

Removing the glass is one way to improve things a bit but doesn't solve the issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy0o2WdrN3M

It's nice to have dual-display support on laptops with Thunderbolt but it's a shame you have to spend $2000 for the setup. Maybe someone will develop a Thunderbolt to multi-HDMI/DVI adaptor.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy your slowly-dying backlight and your eight-year-old panel.

I do enjoy my three 30-inchers and shall continue to do so! They are wonderful. Each is less than 5 years old and works beautifully. Production was discontinued not so long ago. If Apple doesn't eventually provide a matte replacement, when these units break down or become dim, I'll simply go elsewhere. Newer isn't always better, to wit FCPX. Unlike acid heads, professionals such as myself value more pixels and matte displays over the latest shiny things.

Meanwhile, I hope you continue to enjoy looking at your ugly mug all day everyday!

Ciao
  • Reply 44 of 90
    Quote:

Each is less than 5 years old and works beautifully. Production was discontinued not so long ago.

The panel remains 8-year-old tech. And the backlight'll die fairly soon.

Quote:

If Apple doesn't eventually provide a matte replacement, when these units break down or become dim, I'll simply go elsewhere.

Good! Finally someone who gets it!

Quote:

Newer isn't always better, to wit FCPX. Unlike acid heads, professionals such as myself value more pixels and matte displays over the latest shiny things.

Except your argument isn't based in any facts, nor are there any reasons "professionals" can't use glossy displays.

Quote:

Meanwhile, I hope you continue to enjoy looking at your ugly mug all day everyday!

I'm guessing you've never trained to argue the top of this.
  • Reply 45 of 90
    Quote:

The panel remains 8-year-old tech. And the backlight'll die fairly soon.

Glossy display technology is older than matte finish technology. By your logic then, that makes glossy inferior and your shiny display will break soon.

Quote:

Except your argument isn't based in any facts...

Au contraire. You simply choose not to recognize the facts: more pixels are better and professionals such as myself prefer more pixels and matte displays. These matters are irrefutable.

Quote:

nor are there any reasons "professionals" can't use glossy displays.

Did I say professionals can't use glossy displays? No, I said professionals such as myself prefer not to.

Quote:

I'm guessing you've never trained to argue the top of this.

I see your brain is deficient in the logic area, so I do have to wonder why I even try to argue with you!
  • Reply 46 of 90
    Quote:

Glossy display technology is older than matte finish technology. By your logic then, that makes glossy inferior.

Completely different argument. I'm talking about PANELS. The LCD panel itself.

Quote:

Au contraire. You simply choose not to recognize the facts: more pixels are better and professionals such as myself prefer more pixels and matte displays. These matters are irrefutable.

'Kay. Except they're not. They're personal preference.

Quote:

Did I say professionals can't use glossy displays? No. Of course professionals can use glossy displays, but professionals such as myself prefer not to.

High. Also mighty.
  • Reply 47 of 90
    Quote:

Completely different argument. I'm talking about PANELS. The LCD panel itself.

You're changing your argument? Which LCD panel? You make no sense!

Quote:

'Kay. Except they're not. They're personal preference.

You actually prefer fewer pixels or you're willing to trade pixels for shininess?

Quote:

High. Also mighty.

The mighty high prefer shiny things. Those interested productivity do not like the distraction of the glare.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,121member
    It's a lost-cause trying to reason on any level with the haters on this thread. They will simply find yet another reason to hate a given Apple product. Provide a matte-option, they'll simply whine about the high price tag. Drop it a few dollars, they'll complain about lack of legacy ports. Best part is "Why pay $1000 for a piece of shiny Steve Jobs tech, when I can buy a <insert cheap asian junk brand-name here> for $100.00 and it's just as good!".

I don't see anyone screaming about other manufacturers with their glossy displays - especially their laptops.

People here are so focused on hating Apple, they would rather waste their energy on a lost cause than to shut their mouths and go find an alternative. It's just mind-boggling.

You don't like a product, don't buy it. Evenutally, if enough people do it perhaps a company will take notice. In Apple's case, it appears the haters are in a very, very small minority compared to the tens of millions of happy consumers.

Honestly people, get over it. Move on and buy whatever product suits you, and quit the whining.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I dunno, Apple was pretty successful before matte came along. And IIRC nobody asked for gloss, Apple imposed it.

90% of the population also uses Windows. Just sayin'.

Before Apple starting putting glossy screens on Macs, these Apple fans were trashing glossy screen PC laptops, saying how unreadable the screens were.
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Quote:

You're changing your argument? Which LCD panel? You make no sense!

Panel quality has improved since 2003. The modern Cinema Displays use better panels than the old ones. As a 'professional' and one so enamored over display choice, I'm VERY surprised that you didn't know what I was talking about.

Or maybe you just really don't have a clue what makes a good display.

Quote:

You actually prefer fewer pixels or you're willing to trade pixels for shininess?

You actually prefer ignoring fact or you're willing to sacrifice believability for the sake of your argument?

Quote:

The mighty high prefer shiny things. Those interested productivity do not like the distraction of the glare.

So what do you do that "requires" a matte display?
  • Reply 51 of 90
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Re: MacBook Air shipping with Lion

Quote:

They really don't have a thing to do with one another.

I disagree. I'm convinced that Apple does not want to ship another Mac that runs Snow Leopard. They want to bury the past as quickly as possible and that means ensuring new models ship with Lion and cannot run anything older.

As one of those holdouts who still runs some older software I'm glad my new iMac still runs Snow Leopard. I'm planning to move to a Lion based pure Intel environment by the end of the year, but it'll take some effort and money to replace my PowerPC stuff. I'll be able to make the transition at my own pace rather than one set by Apple.

I'm still adjusting my lighting to reduce reflections, but the iMac's glossy display isn't as bad as I'd feared. The ones are work are a nightmare because we're in an office tower that's pretty much pure floor to ceiling glass.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I disagree. I'm convinced that Apple does not want to ship another Mac that runs Snow Leopard. They want to bury the past as quickly as possible and that means ensuring new models ship with Lion and cannot run anything older.

What does a Cinema Display have to do with Lion and computers that will ship with Lion?

No sense in holding back a display update for that.

Also, I'm rather mad at Apple for doing this. The last displays went eight years between updates and this one hasn't gone three quarters of a year.

If you hadn't guessed, I bought a 27" when it launched. \
  • Reply 53 of 90
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

What does a Cinema Display have to do with Lion and computers that will ship with Lion?

Thunderbolt I spose. They want to launch new Thunder desktops with the Thunder screens, in a huge thunderfest.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Keep in mind that you don't have to have bought the product to review it and you don't have to write a review if you have bought it.

So rather like all those nasty reviews for FCPX, the review counts don't tell the full story.There could be hundreds of folks for whom the issue isn't an issue. Either they don't mind a little effort to place their lighting appropriately, etc or they simply don't get the Apple display

So every iMac or display should come with a roll of tinfoil to block out all windows.

An electrician and carpenter to rebuild rooms just to suit a glossy display.

The Apple Troglodyte Display - coming soon.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Thunderbolt I spose. They want to launch new Thunder desktops with the Thunder screens, in a huge thunderfest.

But Thunderbolt works just fine in Snow Leopard. They had no qualms with releasing iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

So every iMac or display should come with a roll of tinfoil to block out all windows.

An electrician and carpenter to rebuild rooms just to suit a glossy display.

The Apple Troglodyte Display - coming soon.

Except the problem isn't anywhere near as serious as that. Because there really isn't a problem.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I don't see anyone screaming about other manufacturers with their glossy displays - especially their laptops.

That's because most of the other manufacturers stopped producing glossy displays.

Or at least they are using anti-reflective coatings to make things a bit better.

Apple is the only manufacturer that is releasing a raw piece of reflective glass.

These new displays are not meant to last. When the displays start to lose their brightness, you won't be able to overpower the reflections and they will become even worse.

All Apple has to do is release a matte option and professionals might start looking at their product again.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    Quote:

But Thunderbolt works just fine in Snow Leopard. They had no qualms with releasing iMacs and MacBook Pros.

Except the problem isn't anywhere near as serious as that. Because there really isn't a problem.

Millions of articles and hundreds of thousands of posts, petitions and ALL eye doctors, science and medicine seem to counter your retort.

Your SJ indoctrination is showing.
  • Reply 58 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

These new displays are not meant to last.

These new displays, whose backlights DO NOT dim over time as opposed to the old ones whose backlights slowly got dimmer over time. Right.

Quote:

When the displays start to lose their brightness, you won't be able to overpower the reflections and they will become even worse.

What in the world did I just say, people.

CCFL backlights (old Cinema Displays) dim. LEDs don't.

"Not meant to last" my foot.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

CCFL backlights (old Cinema Displays) dim. LEDs don't.

Not nearly as badly as CCFLs but in principle they do - assuming that Apple is using a blue LED pumping a phosphor. In fact over the very long term there may be some slight shifting of colour balance - though obviously colour calibration can solve that.

Not that I'm agreeing with that idiot troll, just a slight technical correction.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Not nearly as badly as CCFLs but in principle they do - assuming that Apple is using a blue LED pumping a phosphor. In fact over the very long term there may be some slight shifting of colour balance - though obviously colour calibration can solve that.

Not that I'm agreeing with that idiot troll, just a slight technical correction.

I could have sworn they were using LEDs for backlight only. The panel is still an LCD. ((A)M)OLEDs are the ones that are self-luminous and (had?) have problems with blue longevity.

I think. Used to be the case, at least.