RIM rumored to cease production of 'weak' selling Wi-Fi PlayBook

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Even if one is not a BB fan, this is sad news. More jobs will be lost. A once dynamic and innovative company keeps sliding. I personally do not see any reason to rejoice over such news.

They're sliding because they laughed at Apple entering "their" market. They refused to see the future as it was going to be and kept the staus quo. I don't feel sad one bit. It's natural selection in action, survival of the fittest.

Meanwhile AAPL is at an all time high of around $374
  • Reply 22 of 75
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Why didn't they concentrate on phones first to begin with. They may be at risk to lose both markets now. Good luck in developing markets RIM...

You know, that's a really good question. Apple waited until they had the phone *right* before launching a tablet. The tablet was their original dream, but they didn't rush it out the door. They took baby steps... good thing the first step (iPhone rev 1) was so darned good.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it has Flash¡

I got a good website contract this month to replace a Flash-based site with HTML5. This is the direction the world is going in.

Too many companies gave Flash too much importance. It's not important for most sites using it still.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But it has Flash¡

Apparently it couldn't save every one of them.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Next of Kin.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    But the PlayBook has:

• Reply 27 of 75
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    I'm in total shock! </sarcasm>. A half-baked, crippled tablet wannabe was not able to succeed???

It's really a sad state of affairs that the non-Apple community cannot band together and actually create something that is worthy of competition. The past couple of decades of creating landfill-destined junk is finally coming back to bite them now that they all have to compete against a company that actually makes really good stuff.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    I think I finally figured out which playbook RIM was referring to when they named their tablet:

The one Virginia Tech used against Stanford in the Orange Bowl.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

But wait guys! It runs Flash!

FLASH YOU SAY?!!

Sign me up!
  • Reply 30 of 75
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    It will be interesting what RIM can do with QNX. The phone hardware is what is driving my co-workers away from their cherished Blackberries... not sure how RIM can regain the mindshare they have lost over the last 3 years.
  • Reply 31 of 75
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Still waiting on evidence that there even is a tablet market as opposed to an iPad market. HP TouchPad deathwatch may commence in 3... 2.. 1.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Oh boy!! guys at crackberry will be devastated. LOL
  • Reply 33 of 75
    anifananifan Posts: 25member
    I'm looking forward to the Playbook occupying a bargain-bin.
  • Reply 34 of 75
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anifan View Post

I'm looking forward to the Playbook occupying a bargain-bin.

If you don't find one there, they should be easy pickins at the landfill.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    We really shouldn't be dancing on RIM's grave just yet. But those of us who have been around since the early days find it hard to be impartial in matters like this. For the past thirty years others have gleefully awaited the chance to dance on Apple's grave. The Apple death spiral clock has been started numerous times, and with much hatred and anticipation. So excuse us if we can't resist the temptation to experience a little schadenfreude at RIM's expense at this time. If you weren't there from the beginning you can't understand.

And when Steve Jobs finally steps down or worse we will see an orgy of glee from those who infest Apple centric forums. I hope that the moderators of those forums do the right thing and delete/ban all of it.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

But the PlayBook has:

(picture of flash)

yeah, but it's so slow and clunky it's more like this guy:

• Reply 37 of 75
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,645member
    Poor RIM. The difference between and iPad and a better tablet is not adding Flash.

Too bad RIM will be gone soon.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

Maybe the WiFi model would be selling if it actually had some good features and were reasonably priced. If a company produces an inferior product to a competitor then it either must sell the item at a much lower price to get sales or it will just die. Plenty of advertising might work for a short term gain but eventually the world would learn about the shortcomings of it.

RIM will fail soon if it can't improve its products. They'll cease to exist in a year if their next phones don't gain traction in the marketplace.

I think in part it has to do with the difference in sale points.

Apple has a lot of retail stores whereas Blackberry has none and has traditionally relied on the carriers to sell it's products. All they have done here is throw a bunch of Wi-Fi Playbooks on the shelves at Futureshop and BestBuy. It's not surprising that they aren't selling with no sales reps to push them and no one who really wants to anyway.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

yeah, but it's so slow and clunky it's more like this guy:

It's as cutting edge as

Everybody on Mongo loves Flash!