Apple updates Mac mini with Thunderbolt, 2X graphics and CPU power

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rare comment View Post

not having a dvd player makes it a less useful home-theater computer. but not fatal if air superdrive works well.

Not having a br players makes it a less useful home-theater computer. Losing the superdrive in this context doesn't mean all that much if you had a BR player in your rack anyway.

Most of my DVDs are finally ripped anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is pretty much the best outcome there could ever have been for the Mini. I am so pleased with every choice made here because they have given each model a clear role and specced the machines accordingly.

I'd like to have had a lower cost 128GB SSD (or even 64GB) BTO option. The 256GB option is a bit steep and all I really want is a SSD that can hold Lion and a few apps.

I guess that when I do get one I'll have to take it apart to update the drives but it's a lot more annoying than the older white minis. Maybe I'll let OWC do it for $99 unless there's a local shop who will do it.
  • Reply 63 of 111
    charley2charley2 Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why do think it's not a good home-theater computer?

Without an optical drive you'll need an external drive. Another piece of clutter in the living room. Or don't you use DVDs?
  • Reply 64 of 111
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

You can build the $799 Mac Mini to order with a dualcore i7 for an extra $100.

Thanks!

I was looking for a quad core so hard I missed that.

Cheers!
  • Reply 65 of 111
    I just ordered the 2.5 with the 750GB drive, it will replace my mini server at home.

It's a pity they didn't make the 500GB drive in the upgrade 7200RPM, bit of a cop-out, you have to upgrade to the 750GB to get the extra speed. No point in getting bogged down with a slow drive.
  • Reply 66 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charley2 View Post

Without an optical drive you'll need an external drive. Another piece of clutter in the living room. Or don't you use DVDs?

No, I use blueray. Meaning the superdrive wasn't all that useful either.
  • Reply 67 of 111
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Silly question, but I'm not familiar with the i5 and i7. I'm looking at the new $799 mini. Is it worth the $100 extra to bump it up to an i7?

Yes, the i7 chips offer good performance improvements over the i5. However, the i5 will still be noticeably faster than the last model anyway.

i5-2520M gets Geekbench scores around 5500

i7-2620M gets scores around 7500

So 35% faster for 10% more money. Whether you will actually notice that extra speed is always debatable but it's at least good value.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11

Based on re specs would any of these minis be good for Final Cut Pro 7? I know the graphics are discrete, but is that good enough for FCP or Color? If they are and I could BTO with a quad core that'd be potentially pretty sweet.

Yes the discrete GPU is fine for those apps. The HD 3000 isn't. It's on the supported list but it has no OpenCL support. Go with the Radeon and you will get a GPU with 480GFLOPs of compute performance and GDDR5 VRAM.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw

I'm a bit shocked that 2GB of RAM is still the base memory.

They have to buy RAM from someone else so it's added expense. They would have passed this cost onto the consumer. 2GB should be plenty for most tasks like a media centre and basic PC. I think it's great the price dropped down by $100.
  • Reply 68 of 111
    carmissimocarmissimo Posts: 837member
    I was so pleased with the update on the Mini that I've already placed an order for one speced out rather aggressively. The 256 SSD+750 7200 RPM, the 2.7 i7, 8Gb of RAM.

I wanted a lot more performance than I was getting out of my current Mini which I have now hooked up to my TV for streaming Netflix, etc. I thought I was going to need to step up to a Mac Pro but Apple has so dramatically upgraded the Mini that I think I can live with the system as I have it configured.

The best part is that with the current Mini running in the household still, the absence of an optical drive is not going to be a big issue in the new unit. In addition, I have a USB DVD drive kicking around that I had bought to use with a netbook, so if need be I can always hook that up and still have DVD access.

This machine is pretty much what I had advocated for Apple to make, namely remove the optical drive to make room for discreet graphics and an SSD. Add in Thunderbolt and I really think Apple has finally delivered on a mac desktop with the expandability and power to meet the needs of all but the true pro user.

I consider myself to be a prosumer, not doing it for money but dabbling in enough demanding activities, like video rendering, to warrant something with a little muscle. Up until today, Apple didn't have a product that fit that niche. Now, though, I believe Apple has such a product.

Lot's of versatility in how the Mini is offered, too. You can go all out, as I have, or for a lot less than $1,000 you can have a perfectly adequate little desktop for basic uses. A win all around in my estimation.

I am thrilled by what Apple has done and I can't wait for the new Mini to arrive.
  • Reply 69 of 111
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Why do think it's not a good home-theater computer?

It never was a good home theatre PC. No BD drive makes it a total non-starter.

Personally I can't see any non-gaming box ever standing much chance in the living room. How could anyone compete with an all-in-one like the PS3? That thing does just about everything.
  • Reply 70 of 111
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    I'm pretty thrilled with this Mini update too. As soon as I make sure my important apps run on Lion, I'll probably buy one.
  • Reply 71 of 111
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

Yep. My 17" iMac will need to be replaced for me to join the Lion party. I was thinking a mini would soften the hit to the credit card, but I'd like the discreet graphics, and then you're very close to an iMac with quad-core CPU, faster GPU, etc.

- Jasen.

And an optical drive.
  • Reply 72 of 111
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Thanks Marvin!
  • Reply 73 of 111
    bigjimbigjim Posts: 20member
    The article here about the new 27" display states "Thunderbolt-based Macs with discrete graphics can drive two external displays giving professional users over 7 million additional pixels of display real estate and the ability to daisy chain additional Thunderbolt devices, as well as video and audio capture devices."

My understanding then is, only the mid-range mini has discrete graphics. And only the 2011 15" and 17" (and not the 13") mac books qualify. I would like to see a picture of the ports on the new monitor, won't there have to be TWO thunderbird plugs, to enable the daisy chain?
  • Reply 74 of 111
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

No BD drive makes it a total non-starter.

Quote:

That thing does just about everything.

Except be a computer.
  • Reply 75 of 111
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

The article here about the new 27" display states "Thunderbolt-based Macs with discrete graphics can drive two external displays giving professional users over 7 million additional pixels of display real estate and the ability to daisy chain additional Thunderbolt devices, as well as video and audio capture devices."

My understanding then is, only the mid-range mini has discrete graphics. And only the 2011 15" and 17" (and not the 13") mac books qualify. I would like to see a picture of the ports on the new monitor, won't there have to be TWO thunderbird plugs, to enable the daisy chain?

http://www.apple.com/displays/ has a picture of the display's ports. 2 different plugs does not a daisy chain make. Daisy chain would require plugging into one and then continuing from that one to the next. I don't see any thunderbolt cables except as options when buying TB enabled Apple computers. My guess is you plug a cable from your TB port on your computer to the back of your Display, then the TB cable that comes out the back of the display hooks into the TB port on the 2nd monitor. Hence, daisy chain. The display has a built in TB cable coming out the back.
  • Reply 76 of 111
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I still believe the iMac is a better value if you need to better all of the peripherals. My choice was still a good one.
  • Reply 77 of 111
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4744

I figure there's no point in dual mDP ports on a display because it has to be at the end of the chain in a TB chain anyways.
  • Reply 78 of 111
    Well, being a die-hard Optical disk and Optical storage user, having no Cd/DVD drive is discouraging.

I'm glad I've got the slightly older mini with Optical. (tho of course, the cpu in it is now way slower in comparison. --- )

The only upside is that without the optical slot in front, there now is no reason not to turn the Mini sideways so that one would at least have some *Hope* of finding the right port hole to plug things into!
  • Reply 79 of 111
    elliots11elliots11 Posts: 290member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigJim View Post

My reading of the models in the Apple store says you can't get both quad-core-i7 and discrete graphics. You can get discrete graphics and dual-core i5 or i7. Or you can move to the server for quad core.

I think you're right. Looks like you can't do quad plus discrete graphics. That's too bad because I'd be all over that, but I guess it'd cannibalize iMac sales or something. Maybe it wouldn't physically fit or work, but I'll bet its a business move. Drat! That could've served a lot of purposes for me.
  • Reply 80 of 111
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I read with much dismay the Cult of Mac recommendation to buy the $799 2.5 GHz i5 Mini. I guess the author has no clue how much more bang you get for your buck when you spend only $100 more for a 2.7 GHz i7 capable of Turbo Boosting (2.0) up to 3.4 GHz while it Hyper-Threads 4 threads instead of 2 on an i5 that can't even Turbo Boost.

That's almost an additional 2 GHz of dual thread x2 capacity for only $100 more for a total of 6.8 GHz vs 8 GHz on the $999 2.0 GHz Quad Core i7 Server, although it too has substantial Turbo Boost 2.0 capacity albeit with no dedicated graphics processor which makes it sort of an almost best but no cigar option.

I've been a Mac Pro kind of guy forever. But this is looking to me like the sweet spot for a complementary Lion future that is supplementing an iPad-iPhone dominant lifestyle. It's $600 less than the same power in the high end 13" MacBook Pro without dedicated graphics. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this puppy pretty soon. Looks to me like the best value Mac among all this year's offerings. Will add RAM and SSD drive from OWC soon thereafter.

Also will order the mini-display to dual Link DVI adapter $99 to drive my 30" HP monitor. So the total comes to $998. A $49 Thunderbolt cable will come into play when the Thunderbolt HD cases become available empty. I hope we can daisy chain Thunderbolt to an external HD then the mini-display cable to a dual link DVI monitor. Otherwise we'll need a new Thunderbolt to Dual Link DVI adapter which is not for sale yet - that I know of.

Note the Mini is the only Mac with an HDMI port that supports 1920 x 1200 not just 1080p. Plus the HDMI to DVI adapter is included!