Apple launches Mac OS X 10.7 Lion on Mac App Store for $29.99

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, Apple's highly anticipated next-generation operating system, is now available to purchase on the Mac App Store for $29.99, weighing in at 3.49GB.

Lion boasts more than 250 new features, including new Multi-Touch gestures; system-wide support for full screen apps; Mission Control to view everything running on your Mac; the Mac App Store; Launchpad, an iPad-like home screen for apps; and a completely redesigned Mail app.

"Lion is the best version of OS X yet, and we?re thrilled that users around the world can download it starting today," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "Lion makes upgrading a Mac easier than ever before; just launch the Mac App Store, buy Lion with your iTunes account, and the download and install process will begin automatically."

Additional new features in Lion highlighted by Apple include:

Resume: brings apps back exactly how they were left when restarting a Mac or quitting and relaunching an app

Auto Save: automatically and continuously saves documents as you work

Versions: automatically records the history of a document as it is created, and gives an easy way to browse, revert and even copy and paste from previous versions;

AirDrop: finds nearby Macs and automatically sets up a peer-to-peer wireless connection to make transferring files quick and easy.

Pricing & Availability

Mac OS X Lion is available as an upgrade to Mac OS X version 10.6.6 Snow Leopard from the Mac App Store for $29.99 (US). Apple said Lion is the easiest OS X upgrade and at around 4GB, it is about the size of an HD movie from the iTunes Store.

Lion requires an Intel-based Mac with a Core 2 Duo, i3, i5, i7 or Xeon processor and 2GB of RAM. Lion is an upgrade and can be installed on all your authorized personal Macs. Details regarding Business and Education licensing can be found at apple.com/macosx.

The OS X Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available through the Mac App Store at no additional charge to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 6, 2011. Users must request their Up-to-Date upgrade within 30 days of purchase of their Mac computer. Customers who purchased a qualifying Mac between June 6, 2011 and July 20, 2011 will have until August 19, 2011 to make a request. Additional information can be found at apple.com/macosx/uptodate.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 183
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    But download is slow ... well, it is a big file, though. Come on, you have an entire data centre to push this one!
  • Reply 2 of 183
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    I was suprised that they did not release this for each country at 00:01 am local time, that way they could have tiered the hit that their servers are going to get now.
  • Reply 3 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I was suprised that they did not release this for each country at 00:01 am local time, that way they could have tiered the hit that their servers are going to get now.

I agree - would have been a smart move.
  • Reply 4 of 183
    auclaucl Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

agree, also it would be more fair
  • Reply 5 of 183
    grimacegrimace Posts: 2member
    I am getting nothing from the App Store. I downloaded the latest update and searched the store for Lion and nothing came up.

I followed the link from the Apple Store, and nothing came up.

My connection or did Apple jump the gun?
  • Reply 6 of 183
    denmarudenmaru Posts: 208member
    What is the Build of the Version from the App-Store?
  • Reply 7 of 183
    It won't let me buy it because I have the GM installed. Boo :-(

Says I have a "newer" version already installed and that I should put it in the trash before buying it on the App Store. (loose translation from German)

So, how do I put my OS in the trash?

edit workaround: hold Option while clicking Buy
  • Reply 8 of 183
    technettechnet Posts: 9member
    £20.99 here in the uk - bargain!

but boy is it slow......

They should have had the sense to stagger this release worldwide...
  • Reply 9 of 183
    grimacegrimace Posts: 2member
    Well, it looks like I was about 15 minutes early?

I am now getting a new App Store screen with Lion featured.

Make sure to check your Updater, the details of my last update said it was a Migration update so Snow Leopard will transfer personal data to Lion. No fun typing all the preferences in from scratch again.
  • Reply 10 of 183
    Here in the UK - I'm 1/3 through.
  • Reply 11 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurysquad View Post

It won't let me buy it because I have the GM installed. Boo :-(

Says I have a "newer" version already installed and that I should put it in the trash before buying it on the App Store. (loose translation from German)

So, how do I put my OS in the trash?

Did the same thing to me... I then pressed either Option+Buy or Command+Buy and it let me download it. Give it a shot!!
  • Reply 12 of 183
    see below
  • Reply 13 of 183
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Why is everything blank? This is terrible.

Oooh, It's downloaded now. I think it will take a while. But at least I got it.
  • Reply 14 of 183
    sda3sda3 Posts: 7member
    Your whole family uses separate apple IDs? You can install it on every mac that uses the same apple ID.

Mine is downloading at 1.5MB/s, almost my full bandwidth, pretty quick for me.
  • Reply 15 of 183
    onepalonepal Posts: 2member
    Is it possible to buy a dvd version of Lion..??

• Reply 16 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

No family pack pricing? My whole family want it...now. But we're not paying 20 nicker each for it.

It's locked to your iTunes account, any Mac in your household can have this installed.

At £21 a pop it's far cheaper than the Leopard family version was so at worst you'll break even by having your parents, grandparents etc buying their own copy.

At best (and most likely) you'll save money.
  • Reply 17 of 183
    Lion can be installed on multiple family Macs at no additional cost.
  • Reply 18 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onepal View Post

Is it possible to buy a dvd version of Lion..??

No, but a USB version will be available in August.
  • Reply 19 of 183
    I am asked to start the setup ...
  • Reply 20 of 183
    i am getting around 3.4 mb per second with my 35mbit internet. iThink that is pretty fast isnt it? spikes to 4.4 drops to 1.6 every once in a while. i am 2.5GB through in 15 minutes