Microsoft record earnings beat Street, but Windows revenue declines 2%

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

yeah but many people don't need w7 yet. XP is still working just fine for them.

While this is true, what a jump / change they are going to get when they go to Windows 8!!!!

Talk about shock. Maybe time to go Apple?

Just a thought,

en
  • Reply 42 of 56
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geoffrobinson View Post

Microsoft has wasted billions of dollars in pursuit of growth. Money that should have been returned to the shareholders in the form of dividends.

It's interesting that they're so intent on search & internet services, because the synergy with their other business seems so poor. Bing is a millstone around WP7, hotmail has only ever really generated bad headlines for them.

I can understand why they felt the need to enter the console market or the handset market, but I really don't see why they're still fighting for search.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 44 of 56
    I do not know why this story is on an apple site. this has nothing to do with apple at all. Windows profit shrank because of their xp with new computers thing. A lot of people bought top of the line machines with xp on them. Businesses also did this.

People just arent upgrading from xp. once xp stops getting updates it will go back up again.

PS why dont analysts ever show numbers on people that use both apple and windows. I bet it would paint a different picture or people who get apple hardware and use bootcamp for windows.

I use a windows desktop and an iphone and ipad for mobile.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It's interesting that they're so intent on search & internet services, because the synergy with their other business seems so poor. Bing is a millstone around WP7, hotmail has only ever really generated bad headlines for them.

I can understand why they felt the need to enter the console market or the handset market, but I really don't see why they're still fighting for search.

Because public companies need to grow to keep shareholders happy. That's why they've wasted so much money.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Yeah, it almost makes my head cave in to find myself writing positive things about MS, but I think it boils down to Jensen Harris. It seems he's as influential with MS software as Jonathan Ive is with Apple HW. Without Harris, MS would likely be business as usual (read "bland").

I think the problem for MS is that it has come too late, and they still haven't grasped that the entire market has changed in ways that they don't understand.

This advert for example has me shaking my head in disbelief.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHlN21ebeak

How could they get the message so profoundly wrong?
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

I do not know why this story is on an apple site. this has nothing to do with apple at all. Windows profit shrank because of their xp with new computers thing. A lot of people bought top of the line machines with xp on them. Businesses also did this.

News about Apple's biggest historical rival kinda concerns Apple geeks, just as news about Android or Nokia does. As for XP, MS have been trying to kill it for years, but it is the OS that will not die
  • Reply 48 of 56
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I ask myself that every time I watch nearly any ad on TV except Apple's. Apple hires good ad companies, but everyone else makes it look like there aren't any good ad companies to be found.

I don't expect them to make an Apple quality ad, but the crazy thing was they had a pretty decent ad that showed people who totally loved their phones, and then at the end they tell you that if you use WP7 that you won't be like those people.

It's like advertising a chocolate cake as the cake that makes you sick of cake.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    bettiebluebettieblue Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Microsoft has wasted billions of dollars in pursuit of growth. Money that should have been returned to the shareholders in the form of dividends.

My unsolicited advice: break them apart into about 3 or 4 companies. A web company, a Sharepoint/SQL Server company, Microsoft Office, and Windows.

That would probably work best for them. Maybe sell XBox off to someone.

Yeah break apart a company that continues to increase revenue each year. They just ended the year up with 70billion in sales.

Pure genius. Your break is over, time to go back to the hot dog stand where you are the CEO.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:

I read once that for every 1% of search market share that equates to roughly 1 Billion dollars in revenue. Bing has slowly, but steadily risen in the last two years to 15% market share.

Why should they NOT do search? They are weaving it into everything, Xbox, Sharepoint, WP7 etc.

Bad press or not, Hotmail has by far the most users at around 350 million, compared to Gmail at 180 million.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Or you could read the actual MS press release which would confirm that they had increased losses on increased revenues - radical eh? The more they sell the more they lose.

http://www.microsoft.com/investor/Ea...4/default.aspx

Jeesh - typical of those Apple fanboys over in Redmond that they put in these blatant lies eh? Have to go to CNET for the real truth, MS just can't be trusted with their own numbers.

The linke to CNET show how UN-BIASED they are compared to AI. So I went to MS site you linked.

For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2011, Microsoft reported record revenue of $69.94 billion, a 12% increase from the prior year

Yep Microsoft is doomed, they should bust it up into small companies because of their bad performance, stop all work in search, get out of the game console market......blah....blah...blah.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

My unsolicited advice: break them apart into about 3 or 4 companies. A web company, a Sharepoint/SQL Server company, Microsoft Office, and Windows.

That would probably work best for them. Maybe sell XBox off to someone.

So, firstly as most intelligent people know, yes - you have to invest money and resource to generate growth. Microsoft is growing (substantially year on year) and has been doing so for many years.

(despite the naysayers predicting their rapid demise.

Secondly, they DO pay a dividend and have done so for many years. They have also invested in a substantial multi year share buy back.

Breaking the company apart is about the worst idea you could have, especially at this particular point in time, where they are finally really starting to leverage the integration of different devices and cloud services... there are some fantastically promising consumer products coming to market, that leverage the new Metro interface & cloud services (Live, Hotmail, Skype etc) across Windows PC's, Xbox, Phones, and in the future slates.

Their Business and Server divisions are far less known to the average consumer, but are also growing strongly - with business cloud, server and virtualisation solutions that are industry leading. All in all, this is a strong and resourceful company, that's certainly made errors (it should have been much faster with touch interface devices) but that now seems to have 'got it'

and has the focus to continue to be a major force in many markets (one of it's key strengths - diversity).
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bettieblue View Post

The linke to CNET show how UN-BIASED they are compared to AI. So I went to MS site you linked.

So when CNET report the increase in revenues in the online division and studiously fail to report the increase in losses in that same division that's unbiased reporting?

I guess you think that Fox news is 'fair and balanced' too eh?

Quote:

For the fiscal year ended June 30, 2011, Microsoft reported record revenue of $69.94 billion, a 12% increase from the prior year

Yep Microsoft is doomed, they should bust it up into small companies because of their bad performance, stop all work in search, get out of the game console market......blah....blah...blah.

Need a bit more straw for that straw-man? Nobody is saying MS is doomed, people are just saying that this is bad news for them - only somebody hopelessly biased could see this quarter's results as good.

They absolutely should stop all work in search though - it's a pure money-pit.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MsftMacMan View Post

So, firstly as most intelligent people know, yes - you have to invest money and resource to generate growth. Microsoft is growing (substantially year on year) and has been doing so for many years.

Sure, but MS' pursuit of the search market seems to be quixotic at this point. It's share isn't increasing and it's an increasing blot on their income statement. Worse far from being something that is leveraging success in other markets it's a poisoned pill in their handset business. Getting bing as your integrated search really isn't a selling point for WP7.

MS owns the default browser on the world's most popular OS and it still can't get people to use its search offering after how many years? Time to call it a day.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    hah, the NYT thinks MS should sell Bing to Apple.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/25/bu...iews.html?_r=1