Facebook for iPad discovered hidden in existing iPhone app

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Facebook's official native iPad application, rumored to be released soon, has been discovered hidden inside of the currently available iPhone-only software on the App Store.



Calling the pre-release software "very good," TechCrunch offered a look at the iPad application hidden within the iPhone software on Monday. The concealed software was discovered and its iPad-compatible mode was enabled by making slight modifications.



Author MG Siegler said he's unsure if the hidden software is the version that will actually ship for the iPad, but he has reason to believe it is "at least very close" to the final product. Most of it is said to be written in HTML5.



"Unlike the iPhone app -- which even its creator is complaining about now as being stale -- the Facebook iPad app uses a left-side menu system that can be accessed by the touch of a button or the flick of the iPad screen," he wrote.



"The app also makes great use of the pop-overs (overlay menus) found in other iPad apps. When you flip the iPad horizontally, the list of your online friends appears and you can chat with them as you do other things on Facebook."







The native iPad application was revealed through a minor update to the iPhone application, version 3.4.4, that was issued this week. The update was originally characterized as featuring a handful of bug fixes.



Earlier this month, Facebook announced it had partnered with Skype to bring video calling to the social networking service. During that presentation, Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg promised his company would launch more products in the coming weeks and months, and referred to the period as Facebook's "launching season" of 2011.







In June, The New York Times reported that Facebook was set to launch an official iPad application on Apple's App Store in "coming weeks." The software was said to feature a "slick design" tailored for the multi-touch interface of the iPad, including overhauled Facebook Chat and Groups features, and also allowing the ability to shoot and upload photos and videos.



Facebook is also said to be at work on a secret HTML5-based Web application platform dubbed "Project Spartan." One rumor from June claimed that Apple has been helping Facebook to the development of the project.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    What's Facebook?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    stuffestuffe Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Facebook's official native iPad application, rumored to be released soon, has been discovered hidden inside of the currently available iPhone-only software on the App Store.

    ....

    The concealed software was discovered and its iPad-compatible mode was enabled by making slight modifications.

    ... Most of it is said to be written in HTML5.




    I don't buy it. How do you make a "slight modification" to a signed binary? Are they saying the decompiled it, edited the code, then recompiled it and ran it on a jailbreaked device? Even so, written in HTML5? In an app that came originally from the app store?



    Nope, I call BS.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    I don't buy it. How do you make a "slight modification" to a signed binary? Are they saying the decompiled it, edited the code, then recompiled it and ran it on a jailbreaked device? Even so, written in HTML5? In an app that came originally from the app store?



    Nope, I call BS.



    There is a switch you set when you build an app to say if it's for the pad, phone or both. I suspect they just cracked it using the usual piracy tools and set the flag to pad (or both). Then when you run it on the pad, it will know to use its custom pad UI instead of the phone one. Simple.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    stuffestuffe Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThirdPrize View Post


    There is a switch you set when you build an app to say if it's for the pad, phone or both. I suspect they just cracked it using the usual piracy tools and set the flag to pad (or both). Then when you run it on the pad, it will know to use its custom pad UI instead of the phone one. Simple.



    That's when you build it. It's not gonna be there after it's built, ready to be switched again. And the cracking just removes the DRM and such. Building against both is simple, but from code, not from a compiled binary.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    That's when you build it. It's not gonna be there after it's built, ready to be switched again.



    Sure it is. That's how people got some of Apple's iPhone-only apps to run on the iPad when it first came out.



    Quote:

    And the cracking just removes the DRM and such. Building against both is simple, but from code, not from a compiled binary.



    Strange, then, that there's even a .plist specifically for use by the OS itself that can make iOS 5 beta think that it's the retail version, bypassing the setup application and getting non-devs to the Springboard, huh?



    Guess you're wrong.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,680member
    I don't care about lamebook. I am waiting for the iPad version of Skype, that app looked pretty nice, and I am tired of having to blow up the iPhone version 2X.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    stuffestuffe Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Sure it is. That's how people got some of Apple's iPhone-only apps to run on the iPad when it first came out.







    Strange, then, that there's even a .plist specifically for use by the OS itself that can make iOS 5 beta think that it's the retail version, bypassing the setup application and getting non-devs to the Springboard, huh?



    Guess you're wrong.



    Here's something to try, seeing as you know more than me, why not use your knowledge to explain how it might be done rather than just prove me wrong. I'm happy to be wrong, it was conjecture on my part, but I'm always ready to learn.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,572member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    Here's something to try, seeing as you know more than me, why not use your knowledge to explain how it might be done rather than just prove me wrong. I'm happy to be wrong, it was conjecture on my part, but I'm always ready to learn.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYsjj...layer_embedded
  • Reply 9 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    Here's something to try, seeing as you know more than me, why not use your knowledge to explain how it might be done rather than just prove me wrong.



    "Just" proving you wrong? So you admit you're wrong. There's nothing more to say.



    You can modify plists to tell applications what devices they can run on. There are tutorials to do this on several sites.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    stuffestuffe Posts: 391member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    "Just" proving you wrong? So you admit you're wrong. There's nothing more to say.



    You can modify plists to tell applications what devices they can run on. There are tutorials to do this on several sites.



    Wow, what kind of attitude is that? Like I said I'm happy to be wrong, but I thought the point of a forum like this was to talk about stuff, not score cheap points (although how you score points off someone who isn;t playing your daft game isn't clear)



    So you start by ending the conversation because you've proven me "wrong", and then you top it off you effectively tell me to go googling something you haven't even half explained so I can prove myself wrong on your behalf because you're either too idle or full of shit to do it yourself. At least the guy above sent a link.



    Outta here.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Something about this story made me momentarily imagine that my iPhone is harbouring a digitized version of Zuckerberg who is ready to break out at a moment's notice and invade my other devices before calling me a bitch and stealing my contact information.



    Finally he'll subscribe me to all the most obnoxious facebook games and friend the people I hated at school before disappearing back into his digital hidey hole.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    skyzlmtskyzlmt Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    I don't buy it. How do you make a "slight modification" to a signed binary? Are they saying the decompiled it, edited the code, then recompiled it and ran it on a jailbreaked device? Even so, written in HTML5? In an app that came originally from the app store?



    Nope, I call BS.





    1) Hidden app: There are many ways they can enable/disable this without changing code. If I were doing this, it would be as simple as checking the username against a special permission. Theyve probably done this so their own team can beta-test... so when a Facebook beta-tester logs in, it checks a special permission on the server and enables the full iPad app. Its really no different than being able to turn on/off a friends ability to see your wall. This is a very common practice in software development... In my corporate apps we always would push out new modules into the production environment and only permission my beta-testers.

    2) I believe the app (like many iOS apps) is a hybrid of app plus browser.. and honestly, i think the iPhone app already uses the concept. When viewing comments and editing, it seems to be a web presentation... I've seen the features change when I havent even updated the app which makes me think its coming from the web. Since the early days of Microsoft IE and their ActiveX controls (10+ years ago), you could embed a browser within an application... Facebook is doing a similar thing with its iOS app.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    It seems that now this iPad version fails to connect. Anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post


    Wow, what kind of attitude is that? Like I said I'm happy to be wrong, but I thought the point of a forum like this was to talk about stuff, not score cheap points (although how you score points off someone who isn;t playing your daft game isn't clear)



    So you start by ending the conversation because you've proven me "wrong", and then you top it off you effectively tell me to go googling something you haven't even half explained so I can prove myself wrong on your behalf because you're either too idle or full of shit to do it yourself. At least the guy above sent a link.



    Outta here.



    Hi.



    Proof.







    Enjoy.



    If you hadn't been to lazy to do the research before posting your first, incorrect opinion, this wouldn't have happened. I believe you're the one who is "too idle".
  • Reply 15 of 28
    felmanfelman Posts: 21member
    Luckily I wasn't updated to iOS4.3.4 so it was still jailbrakeable. The whole process took about 5 minutes. iFile changed the one digit to enable iPad mode and it does look and work great. I had one bug with a picture which remained on the screen all the time. Got it ok after respring.

    Great news!
  • Reply 16 of 28
    felmanfelman Posts: 21member
    Quote:

    If you hadn't been to lazy to do the research before posting your first, incorrect opinion, this wouldn't have happened. I believe you're the one who is "too idle".



    Ok so you're one quick-Googler geek. Do you need to be arrogant on top of it?

    Come on, go and get some ice cream and chill.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felman View Post


    Ok so you're one quick-Googler geek. Do you need to be arrogant on top of it?



    No, I remembered (shocker) the article from a year and a half ago. Googling got me the image from it.



    Quote:

    Come on, go and get some ice cream and chill.



    I love wordplay where the definition is used in a different context. It's great.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    No, I remembered (shocker) the article from a year and a half ago. Googling got me the image from it.







    I love wordplay where the definition is used in a different context. It's great.



    Wow Tallest Skil, it's pretty unanimous here that you are a douschebag. Sorry not all of us here follow Apple 24/7/365 and remember articles from 18 months ago. I didn't know these forums required extensive research to a question before you ask it. I guess next time when I want to know something, I'll spend time researching it rather than simply "ask." You're so far into technology that you forgot that a little something called "communication" still exists. Thus, it might not be a bad idea for someone who has a question to ask someone knowledged on the topic to "communicate" the answer to them.



    It's one thing to sit on your high horse and quietly laugh at people who are inferior to your almighty knowledge on the Apple religion, but don't patronize people and call them out. Just plain wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post


    Wow Tallest Skil, it's pretty unanimous here that you are a douschebag. Sorry not all of us here follow Apple 24/7/365 and remember articles from 18 months ago.



    I said nothing about him being forced to remember anything. I was shocked at my OWN ability to remember it, as I have terrible short and long term memory.



    I was also shocked at his inability to search on his own about whether this was possible. It was a simple search to find what I was looking for, and he had obviously not done it.



    Quote:

    I didn't know these forums required extensive research to a question before you ask it.



    They don't. Having the skills necessary to answer your own questions is a benefit of which many no longer take advantage. They want what they want when they want it, and not by their own hand.



    Quote:

    I guess next time when I want to know something, I'll spend time researching it rather than simply "ask."



    Answering this question out of context: That would be great.



    Quote:

    You're so far into technology that you forgot that a little something called "communication" still exists. Thus, it might not be a bad idea for someone who has a question to ask someone knowledged on the topic to "communicate" the answer to them.



    For something that requires a human to answer, absolutely ask it here; there's no way on heaven or Earth that I'd reject those questions.



    But yes or no questions, questions that can be answered by using Help in the Menu Bar of an application, and common questions that can be answered by looking around for the half-trillion discussion about them on the Internet should be taken care of by the asker.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    I said nothing about him being forced to remember anything. I was shocked at my OWN ability to remember it, as I have terrible short and long term memory.



    I was also shocked at his inability to search on his own about whether this was possible. It was a simple search to find what I was looking for, and he had obviously not done it.







    They don't. Having the skills necessary to answer your own questions is a benefit of which many no longer take advantage. They want what they want when they want it, and not by their own hand.







    Answering this question out of context: That would be great.







    For something that requires a human to answer, absolutely ask it here; there's no way on heaven or Earth that I'd reject those questions.



    But yes or no questions, questions that can be answered by using Help in the Menu Bar of an application, and common questions that can be answered by looking around for the half-trillion discussion about them on the Internet should be taken care of by the asker.



    Thanks for seeing it both ways. I wish I knew half of what you probably know about Apple lol, just didn't want it to be a battle here.
Sign In or Register to comment.