Apple investigating flat 'key-less' keyboard using acoustic cues

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A recently published patent application from Apple reveals the company has looked into a flat keyboard that would detect acoustic pulses from users' taps instead of relying on physical key presses.

The patent, entitled "Piezo-based acoustic and capacitive detection," was published by the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office last week. Apple's invention attempts to solve an issue with touch-sensitive input devices.

"In general, touch-sensitive surface or related input devices may be less reliable in determining a pressed command or intended input when compared with a traditional mechanical keyboard," the filing read. "For example, some touch screens often require that a user tap on the screen several times before detecting the command.

The Mac maker's proposed solution is to couple a capacitive touch sensor with a piezoelectric sensor that can detect an "acoustic signature" from user input. That acoustic signature would then be compared to a database of reference acoustic signatures in order to determine where the input occurred.

One embodiment of the invention would entail multiple piezoelectric sensors to track more than one acoustic pulse. Apple also proposes that "tuning features," such as openings on the surface of the keyboard, could help distinguish various keys by distorting or altering the acoustic signature of taps.

According to the filing, pressure switches and proximity devices could also be utilized to help ensure accurate detection.

Apple suggests that "it may be useful to provide an input device that is flat and has few to no moving pieces, as this may yield a more robust product." The company also noted that the invention could "take any form of a input-surface input device for a computing system, not just a traditional keyboard layout.

The filing provides for several materials for the keys, such as metal, glass and plastic. In the case of metal or plastic, the keys could be "machined, stamped or micro-perforated" into the surface. For a glass solution, keys can be painted on the surface or "provided as graphics on a display screen located below the glass surface."

Additionally, keys could be indented or have textural differences that would help users distinguish between keys. Apple suggests that the flat keyboard could include a "haptic or tactile feedback mechanism" that would provide "force, vibration and/or motion" to a user's fingers or hands in response to pressing on the keyboard surface. The company has, in the past, expressed interest in haptic feedback for touch screens.

Apple filed for the patent on Jan. 20, 2010. Mushtaq A. Sarwar, Omar Sze Leung, Aleksandar Pance, Brett Bilbrey and Andew Ross Richardson are credited as the inventors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    I don't like flat keys, they're not natural.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

Agreed, unless there’s a reason to “settle” for them, like a touchscreen. But companies patent every idea they come up with. It means nothing about any intention to build it. If some other company wants the idea, they must buy it from Apple, that’s all.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    This is not to augment any product they currently produce. They are working on something. ©
  • Reply 4 of 40
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:

c'mon nobody got the pun?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Curious to see how they would overcome the problem of keeeeeeeeeeeeey repeats. It would also have to have some sort of pressure sensor i imagine.

Interesting. Might never be done. Kind of like the patent for a camera that captures images from behind a screen.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    kasakkakasakka Posts: 55member
    iPad 3 with retina display, haptic feedback and more accurate keypress detection? Yes please.

I can't see myself getting a tablet until haptic feedback is implemented well. The most important difference of a virtual keyboard to a physical keyboard is that on a physical keyboard you can feel the edges of the buttons and the keys pressing down.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    uelogyuelogy Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Hehe not very sharp, ey?
  • Reply 8 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    How hard would you have to tap to make 26 positions sound different? But it should be ok as an addition/ambiguity resolver for a traditional touchscreen.

Personally I think we speak with our tongues, so the most natural keyboard would be some kind of thing where you touch different teeth with the tip of your tongue to make letters. Or, maybe we can subvocalise faster than we can talk, so some sort of bow tie keyboard.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    We need a microphone that can hear our thoughts.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    wyredwyred Posts: 10member
    Zero button mouse, soon to come zero button keyboard!

I have a feeling the iPhone 5 will also lose its mechanical home button...
  • Reply 11 of 40
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Make it so number one.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uelogy View Post

Hehe not very sharp, ey?

it's hard to laugh at such a minor pun...
  • Reply 13 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Curious to see how they would overcome the problem of keeeeeeeeeeeeey repeats.

They have already moved away from that in Lion which turns a long hold into a option to chose to accented letter.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

How hard would you have to tap to make 26 positions sound different? But it should be ok as an addition/ambiguity resolver for a traditional touchscreen.

Personally I think we speak with our tongues, so the most natural keyboard would be some kind of thing where you touch different teeth with the tip of your tongue to make letters. Or, maybe we can subvocalise faster than we can talk, so some sort of bow tie keyboard.

I don't see this replacing traditional keyboards, but being added to their current touchscreen technology. Right now, to indicate force of tapped area it relays on the accelerometer to measure vibrations, but it's imprecise. With this patent they could use the idea they could could use the intensity to measure force and location within a touchscreen.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

It was pretty obscure. I have a Masters in Music and I didn't pick up on it at all.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:

I didn't catch it at first either but it is a sharp idea. The major problem with such a minor pun is including just enough of contextual chorus so that people pick up on the rhythm of your idea. Do like the pun though - sorry I couldn't come up with something better to beat it.

Cheers.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Surface Acoustic Waves (SAW) touch screens were popular in the late 80's and early 90's with CRT monitors. However, it had performance issues and resistive touch screens became preferred technology..
  • Reply 17 of 40
    You should be careful you're not suspended...
  • Reply 18 of 40
    futuristicfuturistic Posts: 599member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kasakka View Post

iPad 3 with retina display, haptic feedback and more accurate keypress detection? Yes please.

I can't see myself getting a tablet until haptic feedback is implemented well. The most important difference of a virtual keyboard to a physical keyboard is that on a physical keyboard you can feel the edges of the buttons and the keys pressing down.

As Apple is reportedly in the "investigation" stage, my guess is that there's still about 5-10 years until haptic interface technology gets into the mainstream. You really wanna wait that long?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

We need a microphone that can hear our thoughts.

We really, really don't.

• Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It wouldn't so much be about different positions sounding different. It would be more like passive sonar?three sound detectors (erm. I guess they call them "microphones" meh. ) would be able to figure out where you're tapping the surface, and from that, figure out which "key" you "pressed". Combine that with standard multitouch technology, and you could have a pretty accurate interface.

Personally, I'm old-school, I guess. I would miss the keyboard if it was replaced with this fancy, new-fangled, haptic tech. Then again, mice (mouses??), touch pads and multi-touch were new at some point as well. And those big, clunky Olivetti typewriters are part of ancient history now.

Point being, if/when "traditional" keyboards are phased out and replaced with haptic keyboards or whatever, we, and the generations that follow us will adapt or get left behind.