Apple fans, I need your help.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
(Disclaimer: I'm not here to start causing drama, I just want some opinions.)

I've been plagued with a problem for quite some time now and I could really do with some 'inside' opinions regarding it.

For the longest time I've been incredibly anti-Apple, I used to frequently say that Apple's only good product was the iPod, however my opinion is slowly changing.

Ignoring how Apple makes me feel I judge their products based on two factors, the hardware and the software.

Software

I see all Apple software as the epitome of ugly, an opinion that I'm well aware most people feel the opposite about.

Not only do I find the software aesthetically revolting, but I also resent the fact that Apple refuse to let you customise the product you've purchased. I enjoy Linux because it is the opposite in this respect, but I feel that sometimes it is more of a hinderance than an advantage due to the fact that you can easily mess your software up and be forced to invest a lot of time into fixing it. Windows I see as a fairly decent middle ground in terms of customisability and derp-proofing, but after a while fails to satisfy my desire for customisability.

It should come as no surprise by this point that I'm a person who dual boots Linux and Windows.

Hardware

Apple's strongest selling point in my opinion is their hardware, the products they make are undeniably brilliantly constructed and definitely worth more than your bog standard Laptop or MP3 player. I've always stated that Apple's iPods are the best MP3 players money can buy right now and in terms of build quality and hardware aesthetics I'm beginning to admit that the same can be said for their laptops.

My Problem

I will be starting university this September and at the start of the year I will be getting a total of £2700 for the first term. I am in need of a reasonably powerful laptop to replace my netbook (ASUS EeePC 1000HE) for my portable computing needs. Considering my adamantly anti-Apple attitude regarding computing I never expected myself to be considering their laptops as a viable replacement, but the fact that I'll arguably be in a financial position to afford one I'm faced wit ha dilemma. I'd like to own one of their laptops for the build quality and hardware aesthetics, but the fact that it's an Apple product and the fact that OS:X makes me feel ill makes me incredibly indecisive.

I will be able to dual boot Operating systems (I think) so the biggest problem I have is whether it is worth paying over £1k just for the build quality of a laptop from a company I dislike? I really don't know, I don't think so but would I really be happy with yet another cookie cutter laptop despite it being half the price? Again, I don't know.

Right now I'm just looking for opinions, I've asked a few friends and I thought asking some Apple fans would at least give me some encouraging thoughts that my friends might not have been able to.

Thanks for reading all of that, I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baako View Post

Not only do I find the software aesthetically revolting, but I also resent the fact that Apple refuse to let you customise the product you've purchased.

Software interfaces should be as unobtrusive as possible. Hence the greyscaling. I've seen your people's themes. They're gaudy, hideous monstrosities made of the most gonzo palettes I've ever seen. You change button sizes when designers take weeks to create the proper size for its purpose and you change layouts when months of testing has been done to create the most intuitive combinatons of buttons.

Quote:

you can easily mess your software up and be forced to invest a lot of time into fixing it.

Which is why Apple doesn't let users do it but also doesn't prevent third party applications fro doing it. The ones that do can restore stock stuff with the click of one button, so it's no trouble.

Quote:

OS:X makes me feel ill makes me incredibly indecisive.

OS X.

You'll get over it. In time you'll come to understand why OS X looks the way it does and why it's the best aesthetically of any of the big three.

(The third of the big three being "Linux and friends" as a collective, even though it makes up less than 1% of all users' computers).

And you're acting as though you couldn't triple boot OS X, Windows, and KDE or whatever flavor you choose. Totally possible with Apple hardware, and you'd have a well-built machine that will last you a decade or more.

Personally, I've only had one Mac quit on me. It was an iBook G3 purchased secondhand years ago (so I obviously couldn't control its use prior to mine). All that is wrong with it is the cable from the display to the logic board; the computer itself still works fine. Every single other Mac that I've owned, I was the first owner, only owner, and they still run like the day off the shelf. You just have to take care of them.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    baakobaako Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Software interfaces should be as unobtrusive as possible.

And you're acting as though you couldn't triple boot OS X, Windows, and KDE or whatever flavor you choose.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm aware that I could install any number of operating systems onto a Macbook, but my issue is that I'd likely end up ignoring OSX for the most part, which means I would have spent a large amount of money on a laptop purely for it's build quality and hardware aesthetics. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I'm aware that I could install any number of operating systems onto a Macbook, but my issue is that I'd likely end up ignoring OSX for the most part, which means I would have spent a large amount of money on a laptop purely for it's build quality and hardware aesthetics. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it.

Knew a guy in college who had a 17" pre-unibody MacBook Pro, dual-booted OS X and Windows, but never ever ran OS X. He basically bought the MacBook Pro because it was the fastest Windows machine in the world.

Until I got him to try OS X. Ah, well.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Knew a guy in college who had a 17" pre-unibody MacBook Pro, dual-booted OS X and Windows, but never ever ran OS X. He basically bought the MacBook Pro because it was the fastest Windows machine in the world.

Until I got him to try OS X. Ah, well.

The problem is that I've tried OS X a fair amount, maybe I'll get used to it, but I can't see it happening.

It might be different if I get a MBP because it will be my computer and I'll be spending a lot of time on it, but the biggest temptation for me is still the hardware not the software.
  • Reply 5 of 41
    parttimerparttimer Posts: 250member
    Quote:

I would have spent a large amount of money on a laptop purely for it's build quality and hardware aesthetics. I'm just not sure whether it's worth it.

If you ask MacHeads they will of course say it's worth it.

But you're obviously not a MacHead (yet), so only YOU can say whether the build quality is worth it, to YOU!

I submit there is another important reason you might want to buy an MB(P) as well: a Windows laptop will be redundant in about a year. An MB(P) will last you 3 years before showing signs of redundancy as compared to what will then probably be available on the market. So you don't have to replace an MB(P) as often as you will a Windows laptop. Save mucho dineros!

I.o.w. a MacBook is a better deal.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parttimer View Post

If you ask MacHeads they will of course say it's worth it.

But you're obviously not a MacHead (yet), so only YOU can say whether the build quality is worth it, to YOU!

I submit there is another important reason you might want to buy an MB(P) as well: a Windows laptop will be redundant in about a year. An MB(P) will last you 3 years before showing signs of redundancy as compared to what will then probably be available on the market. So you don't have to replace an MB(P) as often as you will a Windows laptop. Save mucho dineros!

I.o.w. a MacBook is a better deal.

Yeah, the average lifepsan of Apple products does mean that a MBP would last me through University.

I've also heard that the resale value Apple products is very high, is that true? If it is and I end up disliking the product I could probably sell it on for a minimal loss, right?

As for the iPad, that's one product I'd never consider, or any other tablet PC for that matter. I value the tactile feedback of physical keyboards too much and never liked the tablet form factor.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    Quote:

Yeah, the average lifepsan of Apple products does mean that a MBP would last me through University.

I've also heard that the resale value Apple products is very high, is that true? If it is and I end up disliking the product I could probably sell it on for a minimal loss, right?

Yes.

Quote:

As for the iPad, that's one product I'd never consider, or any other tablet PC for that matter. I value the tactile feedback of physical keyboards too much and never liked the tablet form factor.

You know that everything is going to be on-screen keyboards, multi-touch, and tablets, don't you? So you know you'll have to use 'm eventually, don't you? There's ultimately no escape. So I submit you better go with the flow on that one. I did. Imo in this case 'resistance IS futile'... You're fighting a rearguard battle.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

You know that everything is going to be on-screen keyboards and tablets, don't you? So you know you'll have to use 'm eventually, don't you? There's ultimately no escape. So I submit you better go with the flow on that one. I did. Imo in this case 'resistance IS futile'... You're fighting a rearguard battle.

Well until physical keyboards disappear completely I'm happy to keep on using them.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    Quote:

Well until physical keyboards disappear completely I'm happy to keep on using them.

So get an iPad with a tactile, physical keyboard!

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logi...-keyboard-case

And there are more variations on that theme. Just Google a bit.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

So get an iPad with a tactile, physical keyboard!

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/logi...-keyboard-case

And there are more variations on that theme. Just Google a bit.

Well that doesn't look half as nice as the MBP does, and the hardware aesthetics is my main temptation so I'll pass.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Quote:

Well that doesn't look half as nice as the MBP does, and the hardware aesthetics is my main temptation so I'll pass.

Without even looking at what's available in that theme?

Is that wise? Or pure emotion speaking?

Seems you're already totally sold on an MBP. That's fine. It's an excellent machine. I'm working on one right now.

But for your mobile needs it's probably complete overkill. Also price-wise and lug-wise. And empty after 3/4 hours.

Especially if you have a great desktop machine at home!
  • Reply 12 of 41
    Quote:

Without even looking at what's available in that theme?

Is that wise? Or pure emotion speaking?

Seems you're already totally sold on an MBP. That's fine. It's an excellent machine. I'm working on one right now.

But for your mobile needs it's probably complete overkill. Also price-wise and lug-wise. Especially if you have a great desktop machine at home!

Well I did consider a Macbook Air, but they weren't really powerful enough for me, despite being less expensive. Being able to game on the go is something I'd like.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Quote:

Being able to game on the go is something I'd like.

That requires battery endurance and good games, does it not?
  • Reply 14 of 41
    Quote:

That requires battery endurance and good games, does it not?

The iPad can't run Steam games and I'm going to University spending the majority of my time on campus, so I'm never going to be too far from a power source.

I get that you like the iPad and Teamviewer, but it's really not for me. ^_^;
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:

spending the majority of my time on campus, so I'm never going to be too far from a power source.

..or from WiFi.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Quote:

..or from WiFi.

On a University campus it's going to be pretty terrible and/or restricted, haha.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

On a University campus it's going to be pretty terrible and/or restricted, haha.

Will you be an illegal student then? Without access to the campus' WiFi network? Isn't access free to students, at least? What university is that?

Well, anyway, now you know the price of your gaming habit...
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Quote:

Will you be an illegal student then? Without access to the campus' WiFi network? Isn't access free to students, at least?

Well, anyway, now you know the price of your gaming habit...

I'll be a legitimate student, but I doubt they'll appreciate me using the lab wifi for gaming. <_<
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

I'll be a legitimate student, but I doubt they'll appreciate me using the lab wifi for gaming. <_<

How will they know what you use it for?

Teamviewer's VPN channels are uniquely encrypted. Uninterceptable.

And do only 'labs' have WiFi at that university? Isn't WiFi pervasive on that campus? What university is that?
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

How will they know what you use it for?

And do only 'labs' have WiFi at that university? Isn't WiFi pervasive on that campus? What university is that?

It's the University of Glamorgan, I'm not sure if they have campus-wide wifi.

Regardless, I'm not buying an iPad, my question was about potentially buying a Macbook Pro.