Apple TV update adds support for streaming iTunes TV shows, Vimeo

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Ease of use. You don't have to set up all the home sharing.



    Thanks. I thought I was going crazy for a sec. So basically this capability already existed for someone who drills down more than one level - just use home sharing.
  • Reply 22 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    Wake me up when iTunes has live broadcast coverage for news, finance, sports and weather



    That will likely require apps like the current MLB and NBA apps.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by etslee View Post


    So you can purchase shows, but they won't be on Apple TV itself right? I hope it can go to the upcoming cloud since HD shows take up alot of memory. Every HD show I have purchased also forces you to download the SD version as well.



    I would imagine it is via the rental files rather than stored ones. And it is likely since the hd is the form for the Apple Tv that is all it will read. I would however love the option to choose what I download when I buy and the other just waits in my queue until I ask for it



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post


    What I want to know is when they are going to add support for viewing and adding comments to YouTube. One of the main reasons I go to YouTube is so that I can read what other people have thought about a video. Sometimes I go to a YouTube video's page just so that I can read the comments.



    Viewing is fairly easy and I agree it should be added. Adding with the silver remote would be a pain. Perhaps if there was someway to sync with and iPhone etc to use that keyboard.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.



    Now, that would -- even for an Apple apologist like me -- would officially put the company in the realm of mega-creepy Big Brother.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post


    Content is king. Everything else is just a distribution pipe.



    If so, assets such as ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox -- the media, in general -- should be worth far more than Apple, no? At least, far more than they are worth now?
  • Reply 25 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I don't think Apple buying Hulu is a distinct option. Remember that Hulu is owned by NBCUniversal which is owned by Comcast (51%) and GE (49%). Those are big players. Also, if Apple were to go down that route I'd like to see them go after Comcast by buying into them for a very real and influential portion of the company.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post


    Wondering what I'm missing here - we've purchased both movies and TV shows directly from iTunes via our Apple TV on several occasions since we purchased it in early June. I know I'm not making this up...



    The original AppleTV allowed for TV purchases to be made on the device, but the new AppleTV only allowed rentals.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Imagine if Apple used their vast wealth to create some TV channels only available for AppleTV and iTunes/iPod users that run 24 hours a day.



    You're halfway there. The real change will come when Apple manages to get apps on ATV. Im not talking about games or social media. I'm talking about apps to receive content from specific channels or shows.



    When I can watch The Daily Show, Colbert, CNN, MSNBC and NFL games on my ATV, I won't need cable at all, ever again, and it basically brings a new model for subscription TV, not to mention bringing the TV into the iOS family in a very big way.



    Now, here's a crazy thought (that's never going to happen): Imagine if Apple bought a wireless carrier to scoop up some of that wireless spectrum. Total Game Changer.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Remember that Hulu is owned by NBCUniversal ......



    This is a commonly-repeated myth.



    Hulu is jointly owned by NBCUniversal (32 percent), News Corporation (31 percent), Disney-ABC (27 percent), and Providence Equity Partners (10 percent).



    The irony is, the largest shareholder of Disney is...... of course, SJ, who, therefore, owns a slice of Hulu!
  • Reply 28 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    This is a commonly-repeated myth.



    Hulu is jointly owned by NBCUniversal (32 percent), News Corporation (31 percent), Disney-ABC (27 percent), and Providence Equity Partners (10 percent).



    The irony is, the largest shareholder of Disney is...... of course, SJ, who, therefore, owns a slice of Hulu!



    My mistake.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post


    And Steve Jobs has quite a bit of experience managing content creation from his years as Pixar CEO.



    I'm sure John Lassiter would not agree with that statement. Jobs dumped money into pixar for years.

    Then made the company public. Became a billionaire and eventually sold the company. He was management. Not creative department.



    This is not bitching. I admire Steve Jobs. But he had little to do with the greatness of Pixar.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    This is a good step forward and a nice surprise for a Monday. I hate having to go get my MacBook to buy an episode. So much better to just stream it from Apple instead directly from my ATV. Nice job Apple. Now just add CBS and NBC.



    And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime? Yes I could buy these channels from the cable company, but why not just let me rent/buy the episodes I want directly from ATV? Why do we need the cable provider in the mix here? Money is money.



    current-season HBO is available only on cable - not through _any_ other source, as far as I know, and the reason is exactly as you say: money is money. Guess who owns HBO? Time Warner. They have vertical integration - owning both the content (super-premium content) and the pipes. Closed economy, tight control, maximizing revenue. Plenty of people subscribe to HBO to watch only ONE of their series - so they're paying $15/month directly to TW for something that any internet-based service would only be able to charge ~$2 per episode and split it with TW. So their revenue-per-viewer would just go down by maybe half. This is just armchair analysis, however - if anyone knows differently, correct me please.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post


    I'm sure John Lassiter would not agree with that statement. Jobs dumped money into pixar for years.

    Then made the company public. Became a billionaire and eventually sold the company. He was management. Not creative department.



    This is not bitching. I admire Steve Jobs. But he had little to do with the greatness of Pixar.



    That's like saying Steve Jobs has nothing to do with the rebirth or Apple because he's management, not the creative department. The fact is that Steve Jobs made both Apple and Pixar respected and wealthy companies.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post


    Perhaps if there was someway to sync with and iPhone etc to use that keyboard.



    Yes, you can already use an iOS device to enter in text, also I think you can even use a regular blue tooth keyboard (or maybe adding that feature was a rumor.)
  • Reply 33 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 32,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post


    I'm sure John Lassiter would not agree with that statement. Jobs dumped money into pixar for years.

    Then made the company public. Became a billionaire and eventually sold the company. He was management. Not creative department.



    This is not bitching. I admire Steve Jobs. But he had little to do with the greatness of Pixar.



    Oh, I can't agree with that at all. What was Pixar when SJ bought it? A maker of software. I owned that software, but that was it. SJ turned it into a movie studio. A very big part of a brilliant manager is to hire people who know more than he does about what a company should do, and how to do it.



    SJ has to be given full credit for the success of Pixar, and I'm sure Lassiter would agree. If SJ didn't give him a free hand to do what he needed to do, Pixar might have failed. In too many studios, the top managers think they are creative types, and ruin the work being done, or have the bean counters decide on what to do, and how much to spend on doing it.



    Pixar could have quadrupled their output, and come out with poor quality films, but they didn't. With Disney, they have doubled their output, but Lassiter, even though he's also in charge of the theme parks as well, has kept the quality high. You can be sure that in negotiations, SJ had made sure that Pixar remained pretty independent.



    Give credit where it's due.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 32,977member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post


    current-season HBO is available only on cable - not through _any_ other source, as far as I know, and the reason is exactly as you say: money is money. Guess who owns HBO? Time Warner. They have vertical integration - owning both the content (super-premium content) and the pipes. Closed economy, tight control, maximizing revenue. Plenty of people subscribe to HBO to watch only ONE of their series - so they're paying $15/month directly to TW for something that any internet-based service would only be able to charge ~$2 per episode and split it with TW. So their revenue-per-viewer would just go down by maybe half. This is just armchair analysis, however - if anyone knows differently, correct me please.



    What I'm not happy about is that you must subscribe to TWs' Internet service to use the HBO app. I pay for HBO on their service, and so I feel that I should be allowed to watch it over my own WiFi.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


    i purchased a butt-load of movies, stream purchased movies.



    +1000
  • Reply 36 of 73
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post




    And while we are on the subject, why not original programming from HBO and Showtime?



    One word: ratings.



    Cable nets are stuck in the same mind rut as the broadcast nets. They only credit shows budget make good based off ratings, despite the fact that the accuracy of the ratings system has been questioned for years. With broadcast nets the ratings are used to get ad funds. For cable nets, they are used to divide up the funds they get from the cable companies.



    If they would get off their butts and use all sources of income for the make good we would see a much different landscape. Especially if they combined it with a rework of the rating system
  • Reply 37 of 73
    sitting in my living room watching vimeo
  • Reply 38 of 73
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post


    current-season HBO is available only on cable - not through _any_ other source, as far as I know, and the reason is exactly as you say: money is money. Guess who owns HBO? Time Warner. They have vertical integration - owning both the content (super-premium content) and the pipes. Closed economy, tight control, maximizing revenue. Plenty of people subscribe to HBO to watch only ONE of their series - so they're paying $15/month directly to TW for something that any internet-based service would only be able to charge ~$2 per episode and split it with TW. So their revenue-per-viewer would just go down by maybe half. This is just armchair analysis, however - if anyone knows differently, correct me please.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    What I'm not happy about is that you must subscribe to TWs' Internet service to use the HBO app. I pay for HBO on their service, and so I feel that I should be allowed to watch it over my own WiFi.



    HBO2GO carries current season even current episodes of HBO Programs. Seems to be precisely the same timing as the On-Demand content on Uverse, but there are some extras in the App I can not find on my TV.



    I have U-verse by the way and the HBO App works great, even when travelling.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Confuzzzzz View Post


    sitting in my living room watching vimeo



    but not TV Shows as yet. Oh well! Maybe some time soon
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post


    Actually what we need is for Apple to buy Hulu and make it work. ...



    I'm not trying to pick on you because many people are making the same suggestion here but what a short-sighted xenophobic suggestion it is!



    Hulu is:



    - USA only

    - mostly just NBC TV shows



    Fully 60 or 70% of Apples audience cannot get Hulu at all. Of those that can, the majority are not going to care. People in the USA that get off on watching "the Office" or whatever else is on Hulu, need to realise that lack of Hulu availability is just not an issue at all to most of the world.



    They won't buy any of them but if they wanted to buy a streaming service, Netflix would be a much, much, much better candidate.
Sign In or Register to comment.