- home screen and app organization

- text and mms messages

- ringtones

- all iWork documents

- you can even restore a brand new device from the cloud

What does the Google service do?
  • Reply 22 of 77
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    All right, this could now be a serious contender in the web space to challange google's stranglehold over my email, calendars and documents on the web. I will give it a try, though it may be too late for me to make the switch. But for those just starting out these apps are a pretty good alternative at the right price tag.
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

iCloud backs up your:

- purchased music, apps, and books

- photo and video in the camera roll

- device settings

- app data

- text and mms messages

- ringtones

- all iWork documents

Spy on your emails and sell your personal information to the lowest bidder including Chinese hackers.
  • Reply 24 of 77
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Looks banna awesome. Can't wait for full featured release.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Agreed... EXCEPT the whole thing is worthless to me because I have a DOT ME email address and iCloud doesn't support custom domains even though Google and Microsoft have been supporting them for years.

So you're complaining about a beta not being finished? File a bug report about the beta.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Spy on your emails and sell your personal information to the lowest bidder including Chinese hackers.

Have you looked under your bed lately?
  • Reply 27 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

iCloud backs up your:

- device settings

- app data

- text and mms messages

- ringtones

- all iWork documents

I don't have much need for any of that. Seems like iWork sync is what they are emphasizing right now. I only use iWork to open MS Office files people send me. As long as iDisk and Back to my Mac continue to work I don't care what else it does. I guess Windows users will make use of the calendar. Not sure what else they would need this service for but at least they got a cursory mention in the setup guide.

BTW it did seem dog ass slow. Took several minutes just to authenticate my login. After that it was a little better. I'm on 3G right now with 4 bars
  • Reply 28 of 77
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Does anyone know if Contacts on iCloud Finally allows to Group Contracts without using Outlook? I really loved to be able to organize my contacts on a computer rather then iPhone. And grouping is even better. Currently iPhone contacts is pretty much useless.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have much need for any of that. Seems like iWork sync is what they are emphasizing right now. I only use iWork to open MS Office files people send me. As long as iDisk and Back to my Mac continue to work I don't care what else it does. I guess Windows users will make use of the calendar. Not sure what else they would need this service for but at least they got a cursory mention in the setup guide.

BTW it did seem dog ass slow. Took several minutes just to authenticate my login. After that it was a little better. I'm on 3G right now with 4 bars

Back to My Mac will continue to function perfectly fine. However, iDisk is going away. You will have access to it until June 30, 2012 (if you don't switch over to iCloud), then it's gone for good. The one and only downside of iCloud compared to MobileMe, imo.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html
  • Reply 30 of 77
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

iCloud backs up your:

- device settings

- app data

- text and mms messages

- ringtones

- all iWork documents

iCloud is not a back-up service. There are many good ones of those - iDrive, SugarSync, DropBox, Box.net to name a few. These services also sync folders across devices and platforms.

iCloud is closer integrated with OSX and iOS and integrates the two closer on a per app basis...

as far as I understand. More of a sophisticated hands off syncing service than a back-up service.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Back to My Mac will continue to function perfectly fine. However, iDisk is going away. You will have access to it until June 30, 2012 (if you don't switch over to iCloud), then it's gone for good. The one and only downside of iCloud compared to MobileMe, imo.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/transition.html

Good to know. At least I still have DropBox for drag and drop file storage. Too bad though as I use iDisk daily as a mounted volume when I'm on the go, although back to my Mac serves pretty much the same purpose in my usage patterns.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    sucks they are discontinuing gallery.

Hope whatever they have up their sleeve is equally as easy to use with iPhoto or my 80 year old Dad will be SOL.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

iCloud is not a back-up service. There are many good ones of those - iDrive, SugarSync, DropBox, Box.net to name a few. These services also sync folders across devices and platforms.

iCloud is closer integrated with OSX and iOS and integrates the two closer on a per app basis...

as far as I understand. More of a sophisticated hands off syncing service than a back-up service.

It's not a backup service? Then why does Apple call it such and why does it give me the ability to backup my data?

• Reply 34 of 77
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I don't have much need for any of that.

I do...
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

sucks they are discontinuing gallery.

Hope whatever they have up their sleeve is equally as easy to use with iPhoto or my 80 year old Dad will be SOL.

Amen. I'm really going to be ticked if they discontinue gallery. I have little interest in streaming. I want to have iPhoto integration and the ability to point people to specific galleries. And I don't really want to learn flicker or picasa.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    OK, newbie question. Can iOS Developers who have access to iCloud actually setup an account with @icloud.com, or is it just limited to whatever your current account is?
  • Reply 37 of 77
    uelogyuelogy Posts: 16member
    That iPhone in the article; it's screen is looking very 'edge-edge'...? O_o
  • Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uelogy View Post

That iPhone in the article; it's screen is looking very 'edge-edge'...? O_o

I thought the exact same thing. Surely it couldn't be.

If I were to go with this possibility - I'd say it definitely looks like an edge-to-edge display... and perhaps a bit of a curved back going on... Certainly looks unlike any iPhone 4 promotional image I've seen used...
  • Reply 39 of 77
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    So, can iCloud be used with one master (admin) account and several sub-accounts? Sub-accounts could be created and deleted by the master account? Any way to organize this into some sort of workgroup and use it in a small business for document sharing?

Or is it purely one independent iCloud account per individual?

If iCloud is purely a cloud-based syncing system, can your documents be somehow shared with another iCloud member?

Can you mark which documents and/or folders should be synced to iCloud or is this done automatically every time you create an iWork document on a "all-or-nothing" basis per each iWork application? I see there is an option left for third-party applications to use the documents-syncing option into iCloud. Does this leave the door open for non-iWork documents (e.g. PDFs) stored on the local hard drive to be synced into iCloud and possibly shared with other iCloud members? Or is this feature available for third-party applications only and not for files, per se? In other words, will iCloud be underlying-file-system aware when it comes to syncing or will it treat every iCloud-enabled application, be at an iWork application or a third-party application, as a "sandboxed" file system, kind of like apps are treated in iOS? In iOS, an app does not get access to the underlying file system but can create its own "sandboxed" file system for storing user files generated in that app, and no other app has access to that "sandboxed" file system.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 513 View Post

For the same price, you get 400 GB at Google.

When you are subsidized by intelligence agencies profit isn't as important.

If I convert my MobileMe account will my web page instantly die?