Apple posts new iCloud login page as a revamped MobileMe, iWork.com

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

OK, newbie question. Can iOS Developers who have access to iCloud actually setup an account with @icloud.com, or is it just limited to whatever your current account is?

All accounts are created using the @me.com domain.
  • Reply 42 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The iCloud page is GORGEOUS, by the way.

image: http://i.imgur.com/0wHcP.jpg

That background? Just tiled with a great-looking gradient applied to it. I'm sure it's HTML5.

The background tile is only 256x256.
    There are also other clever features that go above and beyond what I typically expect from any web developer, including Apple. For instnance:

The graphic for the rope will only show what can fit on the page?
    Even the calendar icon appears to render with the current day and date by using the relative placement of the same image 4x to create the full icon...
  • Reply 43 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has posted a not yet fully functional login page for its new iCloud service, representing a revamped version of its existing Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Find My iPhone MobileMe apps as well as newly integrating the document sharing features of iWork.com.

The new iCloud login page, which appears as an Apple Store-like name tag on a lanyard, enables some users to log into functional apps. Other users are presented with an iOS-style popup asking them to migrate their data from MobileMe to iCloud, a feature which isn't yet working.

Credit to Jony I've for yet another beautiful, simple design.
  • Reply 44 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has posted a not yet fully functional login page for its new iCloud service, representing a revamped version of its existing Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Find My iPhone MobileMe apps as well as newly integrating the document sharing features of iWork.com.

The new iCloud login page, which appears as an Apple Store-like name tag on a lanyard, enables some users to log into functional apps. Other users are presented with an iOS-style popup asking them to migrate their data from MobileMe to iCloud, a feature which isn't yet working.

Credit to Jony Ive for yet another beautiful, simple design.
  • Reply 45 of 77
    uelogyuelogy Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

Credit to Jony Ive for yet another beautiful, simple design.

Could you elaborate?
  • Reply 46 of 77
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I'm a bit disappointed by pricing. It would be perfect if it's just the opposite: $10, $20 and $50 for 20, 40, and 100 GB. but a lof of things don't count toward this space so I guess I should try and see how much I really need.

For people who laments the end of iDisk and Gallery please keep in mind that this is only iCloud1.0. I'm sure it will be updated and features will be added regularly just like iOS and OSX.
  • Reply 47 of 77
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    You guys are missing the point. This is about my emaiil address not my AppleID.

My email address is [email protected]. I have no problems using that as my AppleID but as far as email addresses go, Apple forces you to use the [email protected] format which I don't want to use because I already have an email address that I'm happy with. And I don't want to mess with forwarding or any of that nonsense.

To put it another way, Google and Microsoft let you use any domain you'd like, not just @gmail.com and @hotmail.com. This is why iCloud is useless to me because it requires me to change my email address to @me.com.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So you have for example [email protected] as your email? And you're not able to use it with iCloud? Do you use it for your iTunes purchases? I wasn't aware of this if so; I'm guessing because it's a bit of a niche case (not that that's bad). You should file a report with Apple about it.

• Reply 48 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

My email address is [email protected]. I have no problems using that as my AppleID but as far as email addresses go, Apple forces you to use the [email protected] format which I don't want to use because I already have an email address that I'm happy with. And I don't want to mess with forwarding or any of that nonsense.

To put it another way, Google and Microsoft let you use any domain you'd like, not just @gmail.com and @hotmail.com. This is why iCloud is useless to me because it requires me to change my email address to @me.com.

You must use that as a login, but you can still use your other email account.

I have a Yahoo and Gmail account that I use just fine along with my me.com address, on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. You are just getting an additional email address. It doesn't mean you have to use it.
  • Reply 49 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Uelogy View Post

Could you elaborate?

He actually thinks that Jonathan Ive, the person responsible for Apple's hardware design, so much as looked at iCloud.com before it went out as opposed to the reality that he didn't even know iCloud existed before Steve announced it at WWDC.
  • Reply 50 of 77
    I am currently on mobileme and if I am reading Apple's website correctly, if I try icloud then I lose all mobileme services. I already know gallery, idisk and web hosting is gone (and I use those services monthly). Finding another webhost should be fairly easy and idisk could possibly be redundant with icloud. Is there really any advantage to jump ship or should I wait until next June when my service is EOL'd?
  • Reply 51 of 77
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Anyone know if they could create groups on iCloud Contacts?
  • Reply 52 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

I am currently on mobileme and if I am reading Apple's website correctly, if I try icloud then I lose all mobileme services. I already know gallery, idisk and web hosting is gone (and I use those services monthly). Finding another webhost should be fairly easy and idisk could possibly be redundant with icloud. Is there really any advantage to jump ship or should I wait until next June when my service is EOL'd?

Did you watch the WWDC keynote that covered iCloud's nine features?
  • Reply 53 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Did you watch the WWDC keynote that covered iCloud's nine features?

Yes and they seem awesome, but a bit worried. Wish they would allow us to try before completely cancelling mobileme services.
  • Reply 54 of 77
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

Yes and they seem awesome, but a bit worried. Wish they would allow us to try before completely cancelling mobileme services.

It doesn't matter. MobileMe is dead in July of 2012 whether you try out iCloud or not.
  • Reply 55 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It doesn't matter. MobileMe is dead in July of 2012 whether you try out iCloud or not.

Well I know that but . . . nevermind. I'm just going to keep it and try icloud when it's kaput.
  • Reply 56 of 77
    Quote:

You can try it out. If you are running iOS 5.0 betas on any of your devices you can create up to 3 or 4 accounts on each device.

Or you'll have to wait until iOS 5.0 is officially out so you can create a free account to test it out. You can then sync all your Macs information to that iCloud account. This is how I'm doing it since it won't yet let me move my account.

Regardless, you should be thinking about alternatives since you have under a year before your MobileMe account is automatically moved to iCloud.
  • Reply 57 of 77
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

I gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. You're correct, to use the webmail interface you have to have a .me account. I don't think that's a bug, I think they just never expected anyone to want it for anything else. It's not an email aggregator: it's a web client for their specific service. You've got to have someone already hosting your email, so they would be from whom you'd check your email online. I wouldn't expect Apple to build this functionality in anytime soon.
  • Reply 58 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You can try it out. If you are running iOS 5.0 betas on any of your devices you can create up to 3 or 4 accounts on each device.

Or you'll have to wait until iOS 5.0 is officially out so you can create a free account to test it out. You can then sync all your Macs information to that iCloud account. This is how I'm doing it since it won't yet let me move my account.

Regardless, you should be thinking about alternatives since you have under a year before your MobileMe account is automatically moved to iCloud.

Thanks for the tip! Not a dev and just waiting for official release. That sounds doable to get my feet wet when it comes out and then decide how and when to move everything over.

Slightly off topic, but I LOVE the new Apple TV update. I had my hardrive stolen years ago with iTunes purchases and they showed right up. Awesome!
  • Reply 59 of 77
    Quote:

Slightly off topic, but I LOVE the new Apple TV update. I had my hardrive stolen years ago with iTunes purchases and they showed right up. Awesome!

I had been stating that since the iTunes Music Store went live. In order to get people to trust online purchases of media they need to have a way to re-download the content again. Now we just need movies to enter that list and we'll have a complete set*.

* I hear that not all TV shows are available which I interpret to mean they have no deals with certain content owners. I hope that will eventually change.
  • Reply 60 of 77
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    i thought it was obvious but the goal here to have all of my services under one roof, not scattered all over creation. that means 1 email account, 1 calendar, blah yadda etc. i'm looking for 1 stop shopping here and as of now, the only company that can do that is Microsoft with their SkyDrive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

You must use that as a login, but you can still use your other email account.

I have a Yahoo and Gmail account that I use just fine along with my me.com address, on my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. You are just getting an additional email address. It doesn't mean you have to use it.