iPad competitors still can't match Apple's design efficiencies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The iPad sucks!

So there you have it Apple fanbois and girls, I highly suggest that you abandon the closed iOS environment and enter the laggy, choppy, ad plagued, malware infested, inferior performance and amateur app world of Android like I have done. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Woooohoooo! I"m so there!
  • Reply 22 of 78
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Never quote spam. It makes the cleanup more time-consuming.

This. I can clean up spam by deleting all posts by a spammer. Cleaning up quoted spam is a lot more time consuming and I'm likely to miss some because I don't have a way to find it other than manually checking every thread spammed.

So people, please just report spam. Spammers don't care what you have to say about them, they don't respond either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser. 2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading every time you switch pages - this causes havoc if you are posting comments, logged into a service, or just want to go back read something you loaded earlier, but do NOT want updated because the content may change.

I agree that this part of Safari is no good, as yet, I've not seen anyone defend this problem. I don't see where Apple is manipulating people on this topic.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

The iPad sucks!

My Android tablet is only 2.9 inches thick, weighs 3.2 lbs., has 4 gigs of memory and it's made from laptop parts. This makes it very easy for me to fix it when it needs fixing, and heaven knows, it needs a hell of a lot of fixing. That is one particular feature which sure comes in handy. I happen to walk around with a screwdriver in my pocket, just in case. It also has a super fast 1.8 Ghz quad core processor which means that it only stutters and freezes once every 20 seconds.

Did I mention that my Android tablet has Flash! Yes, that's right you Apple fanbois and fangirls, it has Flash. I am a huge loser and the opposite sex won't even give me the time of day, so I spend most of my time on Facebook playing Farmville. I don't even dream about girls anymore, I now fantasize about having sex with cows. As you can tell by my tablet choice, I'm a picky person, so I won't just settle for any old cow, I prefer white cows with brown spots on them.

And yes, iOS has a ton more apps available than Android, I admit that, but who needs apps anyway? Even though the apps that I have on Android look like they were designed by a blind 5 year old, mentally disabled child, I am more than happy with the offering available on Android. I am also a huge cheapskate, and I don't mind ads at all. I have only spent $1.99 for all of my apps put together.

So there you have it Apple fanbois and girls, I highly suggest that you abandon the closed iOS environment and enter the laggy, choppy, ad plagued, malware infested, inferior performance and amateur app world of Android like I have done. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Sounds like a great tablet! Can that one in particular function as a door stop?
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:

The iPad sucks!... blah blah blah etc..

The only Android tablet I have a bit of direct testing experience with is the Xoom, and it's jerky, slow, and the programs crash a lot compared to the iPad, (even with higher specs), so I'm really not seeing what you are talking about.

Also, re: "fanbois and fangirls" ...

A "boi" is a girl who dresses as a man, so a "fanboi" is technically the same as a "fangirl." (and nothing makes you look like a complete tool and undermines everything you say like resorting to calling people names and overgeneralising about them.)

edit: sorry I didn't realise the sarcasm. nm
  • Reply 25 of 78
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:

...I have owned both iPad 1 and 2, and even with 512MB in the iPad 2, web browsing is horrible - and I won't accept Apple fanbois (of which I am one when they yet things right, such as the MB Air 11"), but 1. Scrolling on a web page is nasty with iPad Safari - the content jumps back up to the top if some content is still loading, something that never happens on any other browser. 2) Worse, and some of us thought this would be cured with iPad 2, content keeps reloading every time you switch pages - this causes havoc if you are posting comments, logged into a service, or just want to go back read something you loaded earlier, but do NOT want updated because the content may change.

Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade. I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.

I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers and glad that I can remain impartial and not be brainwashed, despite having owned almost every computer or iOS product they have ever made, other than PowerMac or Mac Pro.

I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Sell away and be happy.

No one product is perfect and has a one-size-fits all mentality. For me, whatever little quirks my iPad2 is completely tolerable compared to the mess that Android is. Millions, upon millions of happy iPad2 owners will attest to that.

You want to tinker endlessly with your gear, go right ahead. Most folks want to simply use their tablet like a toaster and be done with it.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:

Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade. I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this, yet every Android tablet I know, including those costing just £70 are able to open MULTIPLE web pages properly.

I am VERY angry at Apple for manipulating their customers and glad that I can remain impartial and not be brainwashed, despite having owned almost every computer or iOS product they have ever made, other than PowerMac or Mac Pro.

I expect this massive usability flaw in iOS for iPad Safari to be fixed in iOS 5 else I am selling the iPad 2 and getting a Motorola Xoom, LG or Samsung Galaxy Tab.

You listed two items that can be a minor inconvenience, but calling these things a massive usability flaw is a little much. First I want to say that yes I'm familiar with the page continuing to scroll up while it's still loading. Happens every now and then but that's not a "massive" problem by any means. When it does happen (note it doesn't happen every time) I notice my 3G speed is around a two bar. When it's higher the page loads faster and the minor annoyance is all but gone. As for the pages reloading i'm familiar with that as well. Too many pages open and it will bog down, but I knew this from the start and I've worked around it as its never been that big a deal to me. Now I'd like to add that I'm pretty sure a lot of little issues here and there will be addressed with iOS 5, so I'm not worried. If you're VERY angry with apple and these "massive" flaws with iOS keep getting you down, I encourage you to buy a xoom or whatever else you want, you may find that it fits your needs perfectly. However the iPad and my iPhone have been great to me so far, and I'm looking forward to their next respective models. Peace.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Sounds like a great tablet! Can that one in particular function as a door stop?

It comes with a free door stop app which endlessly streams ads for door accessories in order to give your door something to lust after.
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iPad 2, for example, features just 512 megabytes of SDRAM, which is half the 1 gigabyte found in most competing tablets. That memory density reduction affords Apple a nearly $14 reduction in the build of materials for the iPad 2 compared to other tablets.

By controlling iOS, Apple can ensure that its proprietary mobile operating system features efficient memory usage, and allows the company to build a device with less RAM.

Me, I wish I could pay another $14 and get real multitasking.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Asus looks like the value leader based on that table...
  • Reply 30 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple are doing this on purpose to force people who NEED their products to work properly to upgrade. I am willing to bet iPad 3 will NOT do this...

Based on your tinfoil logic if they do that they will lose an avenue in which they force their brainwashed iSheep to buy future iPads. We can't have that, now can we?¡ :roll eyes:

BTW, I have now purchased 3 iPads for personal use and even returned my original iPad because of the issue with the Safari browser's page caching. It's not that it wasn't a good device but that my needs at the time were focused on the browser with my iPhone and Mac being my primary use devices. This is no longer an issue with iOS 5.0, at least on the IPad 2, but I doubt that will be on any consequence to you as you seem to think that doing what others aren't is the definition of being objective.
  • Reply 31 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

More RAM won't make the CPU process faster or make the battery last longer.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

More RAM won't make the CPU process faster or make the battery last longer.

He never said anything about RAM. He just wants to pay more for "true" multitasking.

There's a reason that's in quotes. The reason is something not allowed here by the rules.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

He never said anything about RAM. He just wants to pay more for "true" multitasking.

There's a reason that's in quotes. The reason is something not allowed here by the rules.

I figured his mention of price was a veiled comment about how the competitors have double the RAM.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I figured his mention of price was a veiled comment about how the competitors have double the RAM.

Oh, I'm sure it was; I was just making fun of him wanting more RAM for no tangible reason.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    It is interesting, but I would take those BOMs with a large dose of salt. Apple gets their materials cheaper than anybody else, has a huge scaling advantage, and has very few returns.

Also that calculation (MSRP - BOM) has little relation to actual "net profit."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cde79 View Post

Just did a quick totals of the average net profit made (dif retail and BOM Cost)

Apple

$286.33

Others

$296.00

Interesting to note thou that Samsung $487 and Motorola $469 make the most per unit sold

• Reply 36 of 78
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Even the original iPad with 256MB of RAM was surprisingly snappy. The iPad 2 is even better which makes me wonder why competitors tout 1GB of RAM yet their tablets perform sluggishly.

iOS uses a more modern rendering engine than Android. Animations are much smoother which makes over all system performance feel snappier!
  • Reply 37 of 78
    j.r.j.r. Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

I wish I could pay another $28 dollars to override your $14 dollars to avoid such a terrible suggestion.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I'm surprised the WiFi iPad2 only isn't listed.

After all, it's $499.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Even the original iPad with 256MB of RAM was surprisingly snappy. The iPad 2 is even better which makes me wonder why competitors tout 1GB of RAM yet their tablets perform sluggishly.

It may be crass but it is true and the iPad demonstrates clearly that Java sucks and needs considerable hardware to support. It isn't that the Java runtime slows things down, even though it does, it is that the JVM and support takes up a considerable amount of RAM. When Apple doubled the RAM in the iPad almost all of that went to supporting apps on the device.

Also Apple puts very tight controls on what runs in back ground. Now this may be a bad thing if you have an app you actually want to run in background it does mean that again more memory is there to support the app. On top of that Apple isn't supporting a lot of anything in the kernel, thus no drivers taking up RAM. So in the end it is all about how the system uses the facilities available to it.

Quote:

Computers today, now more than ever, have to be properly balanced yet the Android market is mirroring the PC market by marketing speeds and feeds to consumers like these mobile devices are Wintel. Fallacious.

Not really, Apple has been very dishonest here in not publicly stating how much RAM is in the various iPad models. This data is valid for comparison within a family of devices.

In the end Androids problems run far deeper than just being based on a Java like VM. Fundamentally it is a rushed product, driven by people with no vision. Apple on the other hand had a vision right from the start. For example the very first iPhone made extensive use of the GPU on the chip, on Android it is a choice of the hardware vendor.

In any event we still have Playbook and WebOS devices. Maybe WebOS can find a good steward to move it forward, Playbook is dead also unless RIM gets new management.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Not really, Apple has been very dishonest here in not publicly stating how much RAM is in the various iPad models. This data is valid for comparison within a family of devices.

Dishonest by not considering a spec sheet listing for a handheld device they think is important for the sale of their device? You'll have to explain that argument in detail.