Samsung postpones Galaxy Tab 10.1 launch in Australia citing Apple suit

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just a day after Samsung suggested its Galaxy Tab 10.1 was on track to debut in Australia, the company has officially delayed the touchscreen tablet's launch event due to a legal dispute with Apple.

Samsung was originally set to hold a media launch event for the Samsung Galaxy Tab in Australia on August 11. But according to Gizmodo, the company announced on Wednesday that the event has now been postponed.

"In light of the current legal proceedings by Apple Inc. against Samsung Electronics Australia, Samsung regrets to announce it will be postponing its media launch event, scheduled for 11th August 2011, for the Samsung GALAXY Tab 10.1," the company said in a statement.

"Samsung will announce a new date for the GALAXY Tab 10.1 media launch event as soon as practicable."

The Korean electronics maker had claimed earlier this week that its iPad-competing tablet would launch as planned, despite a court ruling that barred the release of the device. Samsung originally said the court ruling only applied to the U.S. version of the device, and that the hardware to be sold in Australia was different.

Samsung reportedly continues to claim that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will launch in Australia in the "near future." But Wednesday's announcement that a launch event is not "practicable" due to its "legal proceedings" shows that the recent court ruling has, at the very least, delayed the launch of the device.

On Monday, Apple won a ruling in Australian Federal Court preventing Samsung from selling its 10.1-inch Galaxy Tab. The decision stems from a complaint from Apple accusing Samsung of illegally copying the look and feel of the iPhone and iPad, and violating Apple's patented inventions in the process.

In addition to the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Apple's case against Samsung also includes the Nexus X 4G, Galaxy S smartphones, and Droid Charge. The legal battle between Samsung and Apple extends to a number of countries across the world, including in the U.S., where each company has accused the other of patent infringement, and asked the U.S. International Trade Commission to ban the import of the others' devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    mrmj2umrmj2u Posts: 34member
    Left on their own to create an attractive UI, Samsung is said to be "stumped."
  • Reply 2 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    "We will absolutely see the Galaxy Tab in Australia, lawsuit or no lawsuit!"

"..."

"...On second thought..."

• Reply 3 of 27
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"..."

I wonder why anyone believes anything that Samsung says.....
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

"..."

Samsung must have received a call from its lawyers.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    They will probably sell thousands more of them in Australia than they would have if they were legal since they are now contraband. You know how people are when they are told they can't have something? Underground black market for Galaxy Tabs? Who would have thought?
  • Reply 6 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,099member
    Good. Let's see if Samsung decides to actually innovate on their own instead of rubber-stamping someone else's hardware and skin. Android phanboys are going to have a field day on this one.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Waiting for the AI trolls to pontificate how Apple is out to stifle competition and innovation instead of playing "fair". Coming soon I'm sure.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Good. Let's see if Samsung decides to actually innovate on their own instead of rubber-stamping someone else's hardware and skin. Android phanboys are going to have a field day on this one.

Unleash the Google lapdogs.

• Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Unleash the Google lapdogs.

It's not necessarily and Android issue methink... more like Samsung physically copying Apple and their brand image.

On the phone-side, It's not Google/Android's fault necessarily that Samsung decided to use a GUI front-end also has very similar icons and layout to iOS. Shameful people.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

It's not necessarily and Android issue methink... more like Samsung physically copying Apple and their brand image.

On the phone-side, It's not Google/Android's fault necessarily that Samsung decided to use a GUI front-end also has very similar icons and layout to iOS. Shameful people.

The layout in itself has been around for some time, it's just a rectangular array of icons. Several of the icon designs themselves is harder to explain, many of them look like lower quality renditions of Apple's, down to color choice, style of item used, orientation of item shown and they didn't really have to be.

Did Samsung make the icons?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The layout in itself has been around for some time, it's just a rectangular array of icons. Several of the icon designs themselves is harder to explain, many of them look like lower quality renditions of Apple's, down to color choice, style of item used, orientation of item shown and they didn't really have to be.

Grid pattern is not a big deal for me. Newton and Palm were doing that back in the day. Samsung is copying the "look and feel" of an iPhone. For some (especially the phandroids) it comes down to "I can't define it to you, but I can certainly recognize it when I see it" type of situation.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/up...8/TWizUX10.jpg

vs.

http://cdn.tipb.com/images/stories/2..._ipad_home.png

Now that's a blatant rip-off. I challenge you to spot 10 differences.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Waiting for the AI trolls to pontificate how Apple is out to stifle competition and innovation instead of playing "fair". Coming soon I'm sure.

As much as I like Apple the Android fanboys would be 100% correct.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

As much as I like Apple the Android fanboys would be 100% correct.

Mmm, no. No, they're not. That mindset implies there's only one way to make a touchscreen OS look and make hardware look.

Which is abject nonsense.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post

http://1876.voxcdn.com/wp-content/up...8/TWizUX10.jpg

vs.

http://cdn.tipb.com/images/stories/2..._ipad_home.png

Now that's a blatant rip-off. I challenge you to spot 10 differences.

That's not what we were talking about, congratulations on your lame attempt at a diversion.

http://www.gadgetoz.com/wp-content/u...alaxy-S-4g.jpg

http://www.androidized.com/wp-conten...hone-3g-01.jpg

Samsung's music player icon is strikingly similar, if someone didn't see them side-by-side, they would be reasonable to say it was just a pink version of Apple's old iTunes Mac app icon.

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/10/09/0...tunes9icon.png

Samsung's "Settings" app is a gear. I wonder where they got that idea from.

The phone icon is a very similar color, similar gradient, same receiver type and even the same orientation.

Using the iPhone 3G's signature metal outer band doesn't help.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Samsung are all mouth and no trousers.

Apple successfully made the iPhone and iOS....Samsung copied and failed

Apple successfully took Samsung to court to see their new model....Samsung copied and failed

Apple successfully stopped Samsung products being released....Samsung copied and failed.

Dunno about you but I see a pattern emerging here.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

I am not sure if Apple has any patents on that layout in particular, but the newton was theirs and it was first. A fact the fandroids tend to ignore when they say Apple never invented anything. They did invent the PDA.

Just because they were out of, the market a few years and did not go after palm for anything ( also possible they have a licensing deal with Palm), does not invalidate any patents they have.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,285member
    Quote:

There's been some people who have commented that Apple stole the exterior design for the iPhone 4 from Garmin's 3790, right down to the metal band. Somewhat jokingly I might add, but Garmin did offer it first even tho they haven't sued for the look.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Mmm, no. No, they're not. That mindset implies there's only one way to make a touchscreen OS look and make hardware look.

Although it is helpful to the consumer if they can just pick up a phone and use it without reading the instructions for use. For that reason alone I would like a universal icon for the phone, contacts, music etc. That way you could ask a friend 'hey can I use your phone for a second?' and not have to hunt around for the dialer app. Kind of like why all cars have the clutch, brake and accelerator pedals in the same configuration, even if they are on the wrong side of the car in the Australia.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

The Windows phone UI proves that there is not.

Quote:

Samsung's "Settings" app is a gear. I wonder where they got that idea from.

The phone icon is a very similar color, similar gradient, same receiver type and even the same orientation.

Nor does using a yellow flower for your photo gallery icon.