Apple cracking down on non-developer devices running iOS 5 - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It's tempting for many iPhone fans to want the latest greatest and they are willing to pay. But, pay they will.

I hope for the sake of regular people who paid just because they love their iPhones that they find a way to get their phones working again.

Either download and restore to the latest beta (beta 4), or put the phone in DFU mode and restore to iOS 4.3.5/4.2.10. Works like a charm either way.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The important thing to remember here is that you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the people *selling* access that are doing something wrong.

Interesting.... So if I knowingly buy a "lost" iPhone... say from some guy that found it at German pub in say.... Silicon Valley, and use it as I see fit.... I'm free and clear???

</sarcasm>
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

It's not bull, some of my acquaintances who "bought" slots have had iDevices shut down this afternoon.

and are they using the latest beta or an older beta that has been expired as of today?
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

It's not bull, some of my acquaintances who "bought" slots have had iDevices shut down this afternoon.

They just don't have Beta 3 or 4 on their phone.... the other two expired and thats why their phones seem locked out, i just got off the phone with apple care and they told me that they do not (DO NOT) lock devices.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    I'm glad to see Apple curbing this practice through enforcement.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booi3ie View Post

They just don't have Beta 3 or 4 on their phone.... the other two expired and thats why their phones seem locked out, i just got off the phone with apple care and they told me that they do not (DO NOT) lock devices.

THIS.

People failed to keep up to date with the beta software and didn't realize that it expires for the purpose of forcing people to upgrade to the latest version. Beta 1 and 2 just expired and you need to upgrade to iOS 5 beta 3 (or to 4).
  • Reply 27 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

THIS.

People failed to keep up to date with the beta software and didn't realize that it expires for the purpose of forcing people to upgrade to the latest version. Beta 1 and 2 just expired and you need to upgrade to iOS 5 beta 3 (or to 4).

Two hasn't expired yet.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    s8er01zs8er01z Posts: 144member
    It's a shame the forums would have fewer worthless posts if non devs were purged.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

It's a shame the forums would have fewer worthless posts if non devs were purged.

Ain't that the truth. Damn these people are dumb.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    It's all Google's fault... They're the ones who have been distorting the meaning of the word "Beta"
  • Reply 31 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Two hasn't expired yet.

Anecdotally speaking, I know of one person running Beta 2 that thought his system had crapped out on him. Updating to Beta 4 resolved the issue. It's not conclusive but I read more others with the same issue that I wouldn't be surprised in Beta 1 and 2 were killed at the same time.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Anecdotally speaking, I know of one person running Beta 2 that thought his system had crapped out on him. Updating to Beta 4 resolved the issue. It's not conclusive but I read more others with the same issue that I wouldn't be surprised in Beta 1 and 2 were killed at the same time.

Strange. I still have a device on two that works perfectly well, so it must've been a glitch.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aestival View Post

Well, if that twisted logic helps you sleep at night... last time I checked it was illegal in most jurisdictions to buy software that you are aware is illegitimate/stolen. If you're buying software at a discount from someone who has stolen or hacked access, then you're stealing from the publisher, and I can't imagine that Apple's OK with that sort of practice (on any level).

buying a home made copy of Lion or Windows is clearly illegal, but is selling registration?

if you are registered, you are entitled to use it.. what's being sold is NOT the software itself, rather the entitlement.

but don't forget.. iOS5 is not paid software.. everyone gets it FREE (when the time comes)... nobody is selling the software, they're selling the right/ability to get/use it.

Apple's not calling the cops on anyone, they're just busting them for violating the terms.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milkmage View Post

buying a home made copy of Lion or Windows is clearly illegal, but is selling registration?

It depends on the terms you agreed to. In general, you can sell anything. But licenses are issued with many and varied restrictions.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy View Post

Ain't that the truth. Damn these people are dumb.

In which case a colleague of yours would also be purged: Daniel Eran Dilger isn't a developer, I only found 2 podcasts in the iTunes store and his music taste thanks to ping. No apps however.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Luckily I've not been blocked yet. I enjoy playing with beta software, I guess I'm just impatient.

It was the same with Lion, I was playing with each build, even sent through quite a few bug reports so they should thank me!

You should get a real developer account then. Hope they gave you a copy of the NDA agreement that you are violating for the money.