Apple cracking down on non-developer devices running iOS 5 - report

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly begun closing the accounts of some developers who have inappropriately sold their account device slots, allowing them to profit from the installation iOS 5 on unauthorized non-developer iPhones and iPads.

Some developers who sold their slots for UDIDs, the unique identification numbers associated with every iOS device, have been tracked down by Apple, according to KarthikK.net. Apple has reportedly sent e-mail warnings to developers, notifying them that their illicit activities have been discovered.

In addition, Apple is said to have begun closing developer accounts for some who have been identified as selling their device slots. Apple has also reportedly flagged UDIDs associated with a developer account found in violation, making the device running iOS 5 "unusable."

"Once Apple locks your iOS device, the phone will enter the initial setup mode asking you to connect to a WiFi network," the report said. "And nothing happens more than that."

Because it is not final, public software, iOS 5 is currently meant only for testing purposes, and is restricted to authorized members of Apple's official iOS Developer Program. Selling device slots and allowing non-developers to test and run the latest beta build of iOS 5 is a direct violation of the iOS Developer Program rules.

But some developers have ignored these binding terms and have chosen to register another person's iPhone or iPad UDID in exchange for a fee. Those who pay the developer can receive early access to iOS 5 and test out its many new -- but still buggy -- features.

A quick Google search turns up a number of websites devoted solely to commercializing UDID activation for installation of iOS 5. One such site refers to itself as "The Leading iOS Beta Registrar," having allegedly registered more than 15,000 iOS devices since 2009. The service uses PayPal to charge customers £10 and accepts most major credit cards.

"Apple only allows registered iPhone developers to have access to iOS 5 beta. That's where we come in," the site reads. "We have paid the fees and done all the work. All you have to do is register your iOS device on our account, once you register, you'll be able to download the beta firmware and install it on your device."

iOS 5 is currently available to developers in its fourth beta, released last month. The latest version was issued via the operating system's new over-the-air update feature, allowing for a much smaller-than-usual 133MB delta update over Wi-Fi.

Members of the general public will not be able to utilize iOS 5 until this fall, when Apple will release the software. The new operating system is expected to become available alongside a new fifth-generation iPhone.

In addition to wireless updates, iOS 5 will also allow for wireless syncing through iCloud. It will also offer an all-new Notification Center for prompting users, a Newsstand application for newspapers and magazines, and system-wide integration with the social networking service Twitter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has reportedly begun closing the accounts of some developers who have inappropriately sold their account device slots, allowing them to profit from the installation iOS 5 on unauthorized non-developer iPhones and iPads. ...

Perfectly reasonable.

But as with everything else to do with Apple, cue the whining and false outrage in 3, 2, 1 ....
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Perfectly reasonable.

But as with everything else to do with Apple, cue the whining and false outrage in 3, 2, 1 ....

Waaaaaahhhh! I'm outraged!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Luckily I've not been blocked yet. I enjoy playing with beta software, I guess I'm just impatient.

It was the same with Lion, I was playing with each build, even sent through quite a few bug reports so they should thank me!
  • Reply 4 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Luckily I've not been blocked yet. I enjoy playing with beta software, I guess I'm just impatient.

It was the same with Lion, I was playing with each build, even sent through quite a few bug reports so they should thank me!

I wouldn't worry about it guy... the report seems to be complete bull. Theres been no reports anywhere of any phones getting locked. They might get rid of the developer accounts but phones with the beta are going to be ok. Even the part about dev accounts seem to be bull since all the biggest players are still selling udids at this minute. I don't think apple would only go after the small guys.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    also take notice that KatharikK.net doesn't take you to any website
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

The important thing to remember here is that you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the people *selling* access that are doing something wrong.

Everyone is interested in new software and Apple doesn't really care if non-developers join the program. They care if non-developers join the program in order to make money selling access.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Shoddy journalism FTL.

Phones have been getting reset because iOS 5b1 expired and a ton of people haven't updated.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    tavintavin Posts: 1member
    I went to bed last night with an iPad running iOS5 beta and woke up this morning to see it was asking me for a completely new setup install. The thing is, I *have* a developer license for iOS and I have never sold any slots to install the beta software. In fact, of the 100 slots allowed, I only have about 6 of them used, for my idevices as well as my boyfriend's. I thought it was maybe a bug in iOS5 that caused my iPad to reset but this seems to make a lot more sense...only, it shouldn't have affected me.

• Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

The important thing to remember here is that you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the people *selling* access that are doing something wrong.

Everyone is interested in new software and Apple doesn't really care if non-developers join the program. They care if non-developers join the program in order to make money selling access.

Well, if that twisted logic helps you sleep at night... last time I checked it was illegal in most jurisdictions to buy software that you are aware is illegitimate/stolen. If you're buying software at a discount from someone who has stolen or hacked access, then you're stealing from the publisher, and I can't imagine that Apple's OK with that sort of practice (on any level).
  • Reply 10 of 37
    ajecajec Posts: 1member
    I was running iOS 5 beta 2 last night, woke up with the setup screen asking me to activate. Upgraded to iOS 5 beta 4 and everything is working fine, despite my brief panic! Hope it doesn't happen again.

It does seem strange that the only people being truly penalised are the people who are paying these making no profit. How easy is it to set up a new dev account and continue to sell beta spaces?

Not that I can really hold the high moral ground, without 'fake developers' I wouldn't be running iOS 5?
  • Reply 11 of 37
    tmallontmallon Posts: 39member
    I thought about it as a way to get more then 4.2.10 Verizon I want the 4.3 Features that i get with my Ipad I guess i need to join the developer network,
  • Reply 12 of 37
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tavin View Post

I went to bed last night with an iPad running iOS5 beta and woke up this morning to see it was asking me for a completely new setup install. The thing is, I *have* a developer license for iOS and I have never sold any slots to install the beta software. In fact, of the 100 slots allowed, I only have about 6 of them used, for my idevices as well as my boyfriend's. I thought it was maybe a bug in iOS5 that caused my iPad to reset but this seems to make a lot more sense...only, it shouldn't have affected me.

It's probably your BF's that got you.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Once Apple locks your iOS device, the phone will enter the initial setup mode asking you to connect to a WiFi network," the report said. "And nothing happens more than that."

I didn't know that Apple could remotely lock a device. Can a hacker do it too?
  • Reply 14 of 37
    This sounds to me like a simple case of betas 1 and 2 expiring and a bunch of people freaking out. Also, you CAN downgrade to 4.3.5 (or earlier if you have SHSH blobs saved). Just do the restore as normal and then use TU if your device gets stuck in a recovery loop.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Hmm I have a dev account too but cant seem to update to Beta 3 Keep getting Error(20)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    It's tempting for many iPhone fans to want the latest greatest and they are willing to pay. But, pay they will.

I hope for the sake of regular people who paid just because they love their iPhones that they find a way to get their phones working again.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

I didn't know that Apple could remotely lock a device. Can a hacker do it too?

Certain hackers can do all sorts of things, but it's not a real world problem. (not to be snarky).
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tavin View Post

Double check how many slots you think you have.

Don't freak out, there HAS to be a way of fixing it.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Just download beta 4 not the delta update the full 700MB IPSW it will then be A-ok
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booi3ie View Post

I wouldn't worry about it guy... the report seems to be complete bull. Theres been no reports anywhere of any phones getting locked. They might get rid of the developer accounts but phones with the beta are going to be ok. Even the part about dev accounts seem to be bull since all the biggest players are still selling udids at this minute. I don't think apple would only go after the small guys.

It's not bull, some of my acquaintances who "bought" slots have had iDevices shut down this afternoon.