hello i am new to AppIns and you have probably answered this before:

will the iBook be a G4 and when?

would love to have a book with vel eng.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Uhhhhh. Vel eng?
  • Reply 2 of 24
    velocity engine. its in a G4 but not G3. helps with video, graphics...
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Ah, AltiVec.

About the iBook, let's assume Apple will release the G5 in its towers in January.

Remember how long it took for the PowerBook to get a G4 processor after the towers got them? It was about two years, if I remember correctly. If the towers got G5s, then the iMac would probably get a G4, and the PowerBook would remain G4 for a while. Since the PowerBook would have a G4 for a while, the iBook would keep the G3 in order to keep them far enough apart until PowerBooks got G5s.

I confuse myself sometimes.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It is so far off that it won'r be worth waiting for, that's for sure.

BTW the 600 MHz G3 is a pretty damn fast laptop, in case you haven't used one.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    I'm of the school of thought that Altivec code is not widely enough implimented in current apps (could be wrong here) to make it a major purchase variable...unless you consider that OS X itself has a fair amount of Altivec optimization. Anyone care to confirm?
  • Reply 6 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Darth Brooks:

<strong>hello i am new to AppIns and you have probably answered this before:

will the iBook be a G4 and when?

would love to have a book with vel eng.

thanks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple does have a "book" with a G4 - it's called the TiBook
  • Reply 7 of 24
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Might as well keep the Pro chips in the Pro books. Unless the G5 is low-power (which I seriously doubt from the reports on <a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/"; target="_blank">http://www.theregister.co.uk/</a>; ) and can be fit into a Powerbook G4, the PB will keep the G4 and the iBook will keep the G3.

personally, I want to see all the Mac lines reach 1 GHz in the next revision. Every single one. 1 GHz G3 iMac, 1 GHz G3 iBook, 1 GHz G4 PowerMac, 1 GHz G4 PowerBook.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    [quote]Originally posted by cdhostage:

<strong>personally, I want to see all the Mac lines reach 1 GHz in the next revision. Every single one. 1 GHz G3 iMac, 1 GHz G3 iBook, 1 GHz G4 PowerMac, 1 GHz G4 PowerBook.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, and then you woke up

Don't be holding your breath...
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Yes, parts of Mac OS X are optimized for altivec. thats why the rumors of the g5 not including it are bs. ne way... the ibook will get a g4 once the tibook gets a g5
  • Reply 10 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAgent:

<strong>Ah, AltiVec.

About the iBook, let's assume Apple will release the G5 in its towers in January.

Remember how long it took for the PowerBook to get a G4 processor after the towers got them? It was about two years, if I remember correctly. If the towers got G5s, then the iMac would probably get a G4, and the PowerBook would remain G4 for a while. Since the PowerBook would have a G4 for a while, the iBook would keep the G3 in order to keep them far enough apart until PowerBooks got G5s.

I confuse myself sometimes.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Or if they wanted a G4 in the iBook they could always keep the iBook a little slower than the TiBook like they did when the iBook's and Pismo's both had G3's.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Consumers want mhz, not Altivec.

They don't bloody know that a 733 G4 is faster than a 800 G3- they see 800 and think that it's faster than 733!
  • Reply 12 of 24
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    I dont think will se a G4 ibook till maybe mwny 2002 or mwsf 2003
  • Reply 13 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    The iBook and PowerBook G3 shared the same type of processor before. It can happen again. I say either Fall of 2002 or MWSF 2003. Apple needs to move foward. Has anyone considered that if the iBook gets the Sahara chip(750FX), it will have more L2 cache than the PowerBook G4 (512KB vs. 256KB)? Would Apple allow that? Maybe. But they could very likely also be waiting on the 7440 for the iBook and give the 7460 with 1MB of cache to the TiBook.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    I think apple will wait for the 7460 mainly for the cooling aspect.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    It's so funny to read almost everyone saying that Apple won't give the consumer line G4's to keep them away from PM's.

That's crazy.

Apple wants to make as much money as possible and if selling G4 iMacs will increase their money, theey will do it. The tough part is not sticking a G4 in the iBook, it's making it and keeping gross margin.

Now that he R&D for the new iBook is payed off (most likely) they can add the G4 chip possibley soon and keep thier profit.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    "It's so funny to read almost everyone saying that Apple won't give the consumer line G4's to keep them away from PM's.

That's crazy.

Apple wants to make as much money as possible and if selling G4 iMacs will increase their money, theey will do it. The tough part is not sticking a G4 in the iBook, it's making it and keeping gross margin.

Now that he R&D for the new iBook is payed off (most likely) they can add the G4 chip possibley soon and keep thier profit." Posted by JasonPP

What would you do -being a pro- if the consumerline comes too close to the pro-line? Exactly! You would start to consider purchasing a consumer-model. Which models have the largest margins? Exactly! What would happen if you cannibalize the pro-line? A G4-ibook would severely endanger PowerBook-sales.

Cheers.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    I don't think so.

there have been a few obsticals in the way of moving a qickly as Apple would like on many fronts... stuck at 500Mz for 23 years, OS X apps not coming out as fast as they'd like..etc..

I'm not saying that Apple will make the iMac the same as the PM and the iBook as the Ti PB. I'm saying they'll scale the all the lines up as it becomes profitable to do so.

If the iBook came with a 667Mhz G4 and they move the Ti PB to a 1Ghz Apollo they can make everyone happy.

The new iMac needs...no...MUST be G4 to succeed as a competent native OS X machine(would you buy a PIII today?) It stands to reason then that the iBook will follow suit soon as well.

Hey my buddy was just in your city! My wife spent a semester in Tilburg and we're planning a trip there in the summer!

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: JasonPP ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by JasonPP:

<strong>I don't think so.

there have been a few obsticals in the way of moving a qickly as Apple would like on many fronts... stuck at 500Mz for 23 years, OS X apps not coming out as fast as they'd like..etc..

I'm not saying that Apple will make the iMac the same as the PM and the iBook as the Ti PB. I'm saying they'll scale the all the lines up as it becomes profitable to do so.

If the iBook came with a 667Mhz G4 and they move the Ti PB to a 1Ghz Apollo they can make everyone happy.

The new iMac needs...no...MUST be G4 to succeed as a competent native OS X machine(would you buy a PIII today?) It stands to reason then that the iBook will follow suit soon as well.

Hey my buddy was just in your city! My wife spent a semester in Tilburg and we're planning a trip there in the summer!

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: JasonPP ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's right. FCP3, in order to do real time rendering, needs a 667mhz G4 chip in a laptop (500mhz G4 in a tower). So if the iBook was 667mhz, then you'd have a nice computer for video editing (but the only real-time editing you could do is static pictures).

If the TiBook was 1.0Ghz, then boom - any professional user would have to buy that cause it's such a HUGE difference. Not to mention the screen, probably the larger HD, the faster bus and so on.

I remember a time when a 1600 computer was a 400Mhz G4...a 2500 computer was a 450Mhz, and a 3500 computer was a whopping 500Mhz...

Do you think people thought: Well, it's only 100Mhz...I'll get the cheap one. Nope. they got the big ones. Cause people always want the best.

Andrew
  • Reply 19 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by amidala:

<strong>

Cause people always want the best.

Andrew</strong><hr></blockquote>

They might want it, but it doesn't mean that they can afford it.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    thanks for all the feedback to my original question. i think the iBook is awesome and the Powerbook is too expensive for how fast the new models arrive, plus I can get a dual proc desktop for the same price. so i would still love to have an iBook with a G4 for under 2k. but until then i am glad for the Offline RT in Final Cut Pro 3.