G4 iBook?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    "Hey my buddy was just in your city! My wife spent a semester in Tilburg and we're planning a trip there in the summer!" JasonPP

When you're in Tilburg, don't forget to visit Utrecht also! It's quite worthwhile. Sais me
  • Reply 22 of 24
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    Apple is a company...they do not get profit from merely technical achievement.

Nobody cares if there's a 1GHz iBook if the ad for it sucked. Currently, it's mostly mac faithful who continue to buy Mac products. New users are usually not the ones attracted to the big numbers, but the fact that the Apple brand name means something to them and they like the ease of use and other Apple virtues. If Apple can put a 1GHz 7460 for cheap, they'll do it. But they're not going to bend over backwards trying to do it...Apple and any other company only do things that make since economically (at least, the good companies do ). How much does a G4 800 cost? $300? It's safe to assume that when the 7460 finally makes it at 1GHz it will be more than $300. The G3's are more like $100. How many customers will they lose from G3 to G4? A few. How many by Having the price $1750 vs. $1500? A whole lot. Does not make economic sense.

Apple is a company. So when you're trying to predict it's actions, think like a company does. They're out to make money and please shareholders. Nobody cares how good the products are as long as they sell.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    exactly exactly! exactly!!
  • Reply 24 of 24
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jonathan:

<strong>Consumers want mhz, not Altivec.

They don't bloody know that a 733 G4 is faster than a 800 G3- they see 800 and think that it's faster than 733!</strong><hr></blockquote>

excepting altivec and FPU application , a G3 800 is certainly faster than a G4 733.

Furthermore, if you consider that a G3 800 must be a 750 fx aka the Sahara, he will certainly toast it (because of a much more sophisticated L2 cache, 512 KB instead 256 KB, and many other features including the possibility to lock a part of the cache, ECC like type of memory cache ...and a bus able to go at 200 mhz).

AT least, but not last, one of his advantage is his power consomption tipycally 5 Watts at 900 mhz. So i am ready to bet that : the next chip for the i book will be a sahara. Sahara must refer to the camel, a animal known to have a very low consomption of water, or a good autonomy.