Apple officially killing MobileMe sync for keychains, widgets, accounts, preferences

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kurtmac View Post

The point is that Apple lacks courage to only support Windows 7 (being consistent with the one OS for Mac - Lion). Apple is supporting Vista for iCloud, which was released in January 2007. Apple is not supporting Leopard, released in October 2007 or Snow Leopard, released in August 2009.

Now I could go on about Apple still supporting Windows XP users (released October 2001) for iTunes, Safari, iPhone 4, & iPad 2, while Mac users would need the Leopard OS (again, released October 2007), but this is a different topic (albeit a bit related).

The main point is that Apple seems to punish it's loyal customer's before Windows users. (knowing that because they love Apple products, they will cough up the money to upgrade their computer and/or OS). Also keeping in mind the spec requirements for Lion (as we all know the cheap cost of purchasing the Lion OS).

Second point: This is hardly a new thing with Apple, but it still annoys me greatly. Apple should be consistent or at lease give the impression that it is trying to be fair (supporting Snow Leopard for iCould would do this).

You're also ignoring the level of OS integration iCloud has with Windows, compared to how it integrates with OS X. To put it simply, it really doesn't. Adding iCloud to (Snow) Leopard would be a much larger undertaking, since it would involve new builds of both operating systems, whereas on Windows it's a Control Panel item and system service, the reason why Vista is supporting in addition to 7 is because under the hood they are exactly the same - it takes no extra effort on Apple's part (beyond testing) to extend iCloud support to Vista. The same is said for other software supporting XP, it's really just a side effect of how little Windows actually changed where it counts between releases.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    I only syncs my keychains, account and preferences. Although this is a big lost, I am glad Apple is doing this to get fresh. A new beginning I say. Everybody should be grateful - a complete overhaul. I could easily back up my keychain and then import that to my new mac and reinstall preferences. Some might have reached its end of life anyway. Ditto for mail account. It took less than five minutes to set up.

Altogether now, fresh start!
  • Reply 123 of 127
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The same with computer operating systems, it is not like I would be happy married to Windows instead, but doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy a little linux on the side. Apple and I had a good run but we have grown apart. I may learn to live with her but my heart is not in it anymore.

Love your analogy. Very apt.
  • Reply 124 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbell52 View Post

To me this sucks for Mac people, when you look at the windows requirements, they get to use anything from vista forward, for us people that support Apple we have to be using Lion only. I have 2 machines at work that I can't load Lion on and have been using mobile me all this time to sync all my calendars, but not anymore thanks to Apple. They should give more flexibility to Apple users.

I'm happy about wireless syncing of my iPhone and that is it, everything else about the change plain sucks...ok free is nice too.
  • Reply 125 of 127
    skipprskippr Posts: 2member
    1Password is a good program and I use it myself, but thing to note is that 1Password is not the same as Keychain synching. It only really syncs passwords from web sites.

As far as I know, it does nothing for syncing certificates, application passwords, AirPort passwords, Network file-share passwords (AirPort disks, FTP, SMB and AFP shares), 802.1X passwords, AirPort base station passwords, public and private keys, email passwords, email encryption certificates, iTunes sharing passwords and more.

Sure you can use the new Accounts feature in 1Password to be able to store passwords from routers, etc. but it doesn't actually sync the real keychain (as far as I know). It is just a glorified password sheet. You'd still have to manually manage multiple computers.

The thing that I loved about Keychain syncing is that I could be on any computer, even a computer that is not mine, set up a new account in my name and log into MM and sync the account. I'd then have all of my access that I did on my other computers with zero hassle or transferring from one application to another. If I create a new secure item in my keychain, no problem, it is there at home without even thinking about it. This is killer feature for me going between home and work.

1Password is just a glorified password vault with special access within the web browser, but no real OS integration with the other non-web applications or system set-up, nor would I expect or want it to be able to do.

Plus, I can sync all my Macs like this, from my old eMac running 10.4 to my home computer running 10.6 (which can't run 10.7), to my new work computer running 10.7. 1Password does not run on 10.5 or lower Macs, and iCloud is not going to work on anything but 10.7 and not even my old iPod Touch 2nd Generation.

MobileMe and synching currently "does" work on 10.7 and everything is great. After MM goes away, my whole Mac ecosystem is going to become fragmented and un-synced.

I'm really going to miss Gallery too, but the loss of Keychain syncing has me really really p*ssed.

And yes, I am an APPL shareholder, but I'm still not happy with the demotion of the Mac. I really wish that instead of demoting the Mac, that they actually raised the iOS devices in abilities. I really was hoping for keychain sync on iOS too.

All I do know is that passwords in the future are going to become a lot less secure because of all the hassle now.

No steps forward and a bunch running backwards.

SkippR.
  • Reply 126 of 127
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I'm happy about wireless syncing of my iPhone and that is it, everything else about the change plain sucks...ok free is nice too.

You will need to plug it into your charger for it to sync. So much for wireless... I wonder what the final iOS5 product with iCloud syncing will bring to the table.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    Talk of iCloud has me worried about the extensive work I've done and would like to continue doing in Galleries and iDisk. The reason I bought into Aperture was the integration with Apple's web infrastructure. Creating private Galleries as a professional photographer is a Major component of my work. %GB of free space isnt really free if it comes at the cost of losing the ability to store, customize, post and broadcast what you've made.

I have 60GB of paid space on Apples site. I use on average half that but pay for it all gladly.

This does not sound like a happy update to me

Dont even get me started on the new version of Final Cut!!