Apple simplifying Fifth Ave glass cube with larger, seamless panes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple this week updated the construction site at its iconic Fifth Avenue store entrance, revealing that the new $6.7 million glass cube being built there will be simpler and more efficient [includes new pictures].

This week, Apple posted a new sign at its flagship store in New York City, revealing to passersby the meaning of the major project currently underway. AppleInsider reader Ryan supplied photos of the latest changes.

"We're simplifying the Fifth Avenue Cube," it reads. "By using larger, seamless pieces of glass, we're using just 15 panes instead of 90."

On the other side of the giant temporary structure shielding the public from the construction, an Apple logo is displayed, along with the text: "Apple Store, Fifth Avenue. Still open 24 hours."

Work to replace the 32-foot cube began in June. Permits filed with the New York Department of Buildings show that the entire project will cost Apple $6.7 million, and that construction is expected to be completed by November.

While the project has been underway for a number of weeks, Apple had not previously revealed why the cube was being replaced. This week's notice posted on Fifth Avenue is the first such reveal, indicating the 90 smaller panes of glass previously used will be replaced by 15 massive ones.

Apple shielded the public from the construction by erecting a temporary wall of grey plywood fronting the street. A small gap between the ways served as a pathway for customers to access the staircase that leads to the store below.

Later, as replacement of the cube itself began, Apple constructed, a second, temporary cube made of tarps to cover the original on Fifth Avenue. Users must pass through a makeshift hallway, complete with overhead lights, to enter the underground store.

The structure has been a popular destination since it opened in May of 2006. A recent study found that it is one of the most photographed locations in the entire city.

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs personally designed and even paid for the hollow glass structure that serves as the store's entrance. The latest renovations are not the first time the structure has been tweaked: Shortly before its unveiling in 2006, Jobs was said to have been unhappy with some of the materials used to construct the cube, and last-minute changes were made.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We're simplifying the Fifth Avenue Cube," it reads. "By using larger, seamless pieces of glass, we're using just 15 panes instead of 90."

Is that really necessary? Seems like a lot of work and expense for very little change in appearance.
  • Reply 2 of 60
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Certainly not necessary in the sense of the store being unable to function without it. Building it in the first place wasn?t either?nor is any architecture that serves aesthetic purposes. That?s always optional. At the same time, having?and even improving?a NY landmark does drive business indirectly.

But it seems that it?s more like a kind of hobby project for Jobs! I didn?t realize he paid for it personally.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    stourquestourque Posts: 364member
    Just wondering why Steve would personally pay for this. it's not like Apple is short of cash, or anyone would disagree with him.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stourque View Post

Just wondering why Steve would personally pay for this. it's not like Apple is short of cash, or anyone would disagree with him.

It's not like he's short of cash either.

I suppose it's a vanity thing, in a good way. As rich folks mature or come fact to face with their own mortality the tendency is to begin thinking of a legacy. The great industrialists of the 19th century funded great urban public architecture; Steve is doing it his way. I wonder if he is hoping that the cube will outlast the store? Sort of like the Eiffel Tower got under the skin of Parisians.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

There are many reasons. For instance, not being short on cash doesn't mean that departments with Apple can use as much as they see fit. There could easily have been quotas and limits for multiple reasons that made it advantageous for Jobs to spend the money himself. IT could be as simple as keeping that department from going over budget for the quarter and he may have been reimbursed with interest a few months later. Or perhaps Steve saw it as an iconic piece of art and therefore wanted it to attached more to his name than his company.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Apple this week updated the construction site at its iconic Fifth Avenue store entrance, revealing that the new $6.7 million glass cube being built there will be simpler and more efficient...

More efficient? BS.

Anyway, it's not my money, so I don't really care. As long as it creates jobs, it's good I suppose. Dumber things have been done.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    luisdiasluisdias Posts: 277member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is that really necessary? Seems like a lot of work and expense for very little change in appearance.

That's the price of perfection.

And count on this: the cube *will be* retroffited again when it becomes technologically feasible to just put one single glass pane per face. Even if it costs 20 million to do so.

You can't put a price on the symbolic power of these things.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:

Back in 2006 Apple weren't so swimming in cash as they are these days though.

I wonder what Apple will try to make out of glass next?
  • Reply 9 of 60
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

More efficient? BS.

Anyway, it's not my money, so I don't really care. As long as it creates jobs, it's good I suppose. Dumber things have been done.

Efficiency is the art of doing more with less.

Fewer pieces of glass means fewer connectors, joins. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be stronger, but maybe the new glass is more durable. We'll just have to wait and see.

To me, it seems like a big expense, but it creates news and will create foot traffic. They'll get their investment back in no time flat.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

More efficient? BS.

It might be, if the glass type has changed and it blocks heat from coming in or lets excess heat out better.

Does anyone know if the seems are sealed? Fewer seams might mean less air leakage. But that would be silly, I really don't think transparent silicone sealer is ugly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

And count on this: the cube *will be* retroffited again when it becomes technologically feasible to just put one single glass pane per face. Even if it costs 20 million to do so.

It might not be a problem with technology there, it might be that the glass production lines aren't that wide, that anyone can build one already but there is insufficient market for it.

Notice that these panes are a lot longer than they are wide, the shortest dimension might be as wide as the currently built glass lines allow.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    Cube? You would think he would make the building lower.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Jobs has always been interested in architecture. It shows in his designs. I bet he'd like to make an impact in this area too.

Those are huge panes of glass. The horizontal ones are particularly impressive, suspending that much weight in glass. Now think about the new spaceship HQ in Cupertino and how it's not supposed to have any straight pieces of glass. If they can bend this size of glass it seems like it could be the outer skin on the spaceship.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

Agree. Doesn't seem very Apple-y. Unless they're going to melt down the old panes to make iPhone 5 screens!
  • Reply 14 of 60
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Efficiency is the art of doing more with less.

Not if you have to do it twice

Quote:

Fewer pieces of glass means fewer connectors, joins. Doesn't necessarily mean it will be stronger, but maybe the new glass is more durable. We'll just have to wait and see.

Was the old construction cracked or what?

Quote:

To me, it seems like a big expense, but it creates news and will create foot traffic. They'll get their investment back in no time flat.

Mere speculations. How would you measure the difference? I don't think any New Yorker will bother to go there just to see the new cube. Tourists who care about this store would have gone anyway.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Well said. Any brand would kill to own a building that is quickly becoming a city icon on par with historical landmarks as far as attractiveness goes.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Maybe the price of obsession. I don't really care much for anything Apple is doing lately.

"Pride goes before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall."
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Quote:

Bah - they could do that today if they wanted. The Monterey Aquarium has a single-pane window 15 feet x 54 feet, and that's having to hold back 1,000,000 gallons of water.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

No. It was not necessary. So is not making Apple products out of pricey aluminum and glass when cheaper metallic-coated plastic and film could have been cheaper.

No, it was not necessary. So was not making a big, beautiful UFO building, wastefully surrounded by acres of trees when they could just have paved it with asphalt and put up generic-box buildings.

No, it was necessary. So was not trying to make products that not only function well, but are pleasing visually.

So what's your point? You want to live in ConcreteVille?

They got the money, they can afford it, it's providing jobs, and I've never been happier as an AAPL owner.

When you make your billions of dollars, go right ahead and do what you want with it.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:

Apple this week updated the construction site at its iconic Fifth Avenue store entrance, revealing that the new $6.7 million glass cube being built there will be simpler and more efficient [includes new pictures]...

The only thing I find disappointing is I was hoping they would use some curved glass and make it a rounded corner cube, which I think would be more fitting, more iconic, and better looking overall.

This thing might be more efficient in some ways but it doesn't look like it will be more attractive than the old one, in fact possibly less so.

Also, to all those complaining, there may be other reasons we don't know about. Taking the words of Apple's publicists verbatim as to why they are doing it ignores the very real possibility that there were other reasons and that this is just the cover story. For all we know the caulking was failing and the glass in danger of falling down.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Bah - they could do that today if they wanted. The Monterey Aquarium has a single-pane window 15 feet x 54 feet, and that's having to hold back 1,000,000 gallons of water.

I'm not going to even pretend to be anything close to a civil engineer, but would the fact that the entire structure being made of glass make it more difficult? I have no idea, I'm just wondering, but it would seem to me that, even with all the water, having one gigantic piece of glass surrounded by other, more structurally sound materials would be much easier to do than having five completely glass surfaces making up the entirety of a building.