Motorola planning 'aggressive form factor' tablets for late 2011

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Will the current Xoom become unsupported, non-updated abandonware before it?s even a year old, as happens too often with Android devices? The ?good one? is always right around the corner... which is a great business model, if you can get people to buy several in a year (as my Android friends have been known to do) instead of hanging on to one great device for years, Apple-style.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donal View Post

Brilliant reprise of old Bob Hope joke.

Oh was that a joke ??!!!
  • Reply 43 of 64
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 44 of 64
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

But it had flash!

Kind Of. Of course "Kind of" describes the implementation of every Xoom feature.

It is weird that all the Xoom apologists are gone now. I guess a couple of them actually put their money where their mouth is and are to embarrassed to speak out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Will the current Xoom become unsupported, non-updated abandonware before it’s even a year old, as happens too often with Android devices? The “good one” is always right around the corner... which is a great business model, if you can get people to buy several in a year (as my Android friends have been known to do) instead of hanging on to one great device for years, Apple-style.

You just described (edit: I had typed destroyed somehow (Thanks Lion)) most companies entire Android operating model..
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

He was likely thinking of the Russian reversal jokes made popular by Yakov Smirnoff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian...ssian_reversal

Which were a copy of an old Bob Hope bit, no?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Which were a copy of an old Bob Hope bit, no?

Bob goes back a long way with his jokes about Russia but I think Yakov was the only person who had that particular style.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Agressive Form Factor?

• Reply 48 of 64
    And...

?

?

?

?

?

?

• Reply 49 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha said on Tuesday that his company is planning to roll out tablets with "aggressive form factors" later this year, while also indicating that smartphones remain the top priority.

To make God laugh at you, tell him your plans.

- Yiddish proverb
  • Reply 50 of 64
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Motorola Mobility "aggressive form factors"

The circle tablet! Think of all those racing games that need a steering wheel!

No really what 'aggressive form factor' means is that Motorola will shave off 1/8" on the thickness!

/

/

/
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Actually I read that as "we are watching the problems with Android and it is increasingly possible the "free" OS will cost us fees to MS and Apple and it runs like a POS anyway, so why not give people the POS they already know and buy."

+1.

If Microsoft gives Motorola a Billion dollars to 'partner' in a Win 8 tablet delivery... they'll take it. Android is not market maker, and google hasn't shown it wil actively defend it's partners in a patent war.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    My guess is that "aggressive" in this context means "gimmicky", ala folding bits and fussy paint jobs and random lights. That, typically, has been the cell phone manufacturers idea of innovation, and while the practicalities of Android handsets has moderated that trend it may be that getting slapped in the tablet market has driven Moto to return to its old tricks.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    MOT Mobility is also now and always has been one of the WEAKEST software companies out there! If they had a clue, they would have bought Palm! Now their only hope is for HP to buy them, IMHO.

MOT should have gotten their OWN OS YEARS AGO! Fail.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

I was thinking maybe sharp edges and a big skull and crossbones on the back. They could sell them to Oakland Raiders fans.

After further reflection, I think the exec used the word "aggressive" in an attempt to continue the mood of prior Android device advertising. They are indeed marketing to people who respond to verbal and visual cues which are categorized as "masculine". While this insecure demographic is much larger than just Oakland Raider fans, you may have hit on a good marketing tactic for niche-size tablet producers. If they align themselves with brands favored by people who want to portray a cartoon hyper-masculinity (e.g. Raider fans, Harley-Davidson riders, Texans, etc.), they may find some success.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

But it had flash!

i just know that they brought this up around 20 times, during the products development meetings.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    i tell you all with the world markets collapsing and stocks like aapl getting a beaten .

i would hate to be motoroma now

and i would hate to have 10 models that don't sell like the single model they have now

• Reply 57 of 64
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

And...

?

?

?

?

?

?

lolololololololoo

• Reply 58 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Pretty much all the 7 inch were running old versions of Android that weren't designed for tablets and didn't have access to the Google market (so no apps). If you think the Honeycomb tablets were bad, then these must have been horrendous. I don't think we can really judge the 7 inch form factor based on this.

Nook Color is doing well and it's not even sold as a tablet. The 7" form factor has legs I think for certain applications.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If they align themselves with brands favored by people who want to portray a cartoon hyper-masculinity (e.g. Raider fans, Harley-Davidson riders, Texans, etc.), they may find some success.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83UQkiuNZQ

I wonder how many Motorola ad executives drink this after a long day at the office:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs
  • Reply 60 of 64
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    "aggressive form factors"

He probably means aggressive in pushing out multiple tablet form factors. I doubt it will work though. the 10" form factor seems to be the only established one in the market thus far; big enough for the display to mimic a desktop, while small enough to be more portable than laptops.

Quote:

I wonder how many Motorola ad executives drink this after a long day at the office:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuNxHqwazs

LOL, reminds me of the v8 smoothie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDlMLqdvHzI