Motorola planning 'aggressive form factor' tablets for late 2011

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The should call it 'Drain' as that's what these attempts are doing to their assets.

And with Flash, the battery as well
  • Reply 62 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

My guess is that "aggressive" in this context means "gimmicky", ala folding bits and fussy paint jobs and random lights. That, typically, has been the cell phone manufacturers idea of innovation, and while the practicalities of Android handsets has moderated that trend it may be that getting slapped in the tablet market has driven Moto to return to its old tricks.

so it's damned if they do damned if they don't?

If they go to simple they're called iPhone clones and if they go too complex they are gimmicky.

Soooo I dunno...how can they win?

granted motorola is my least favorite of the Android OEMs...but I feel all devices should be more minimalistic in the end...same thing happened with computers and cars.

u can differentiate by angles/materials/etc here and there.
  • Reply 63 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

so it's damned if they do damned if they don't?

If they go to simple they're called iPhone clones and if they go too complex they are gimmicky.

Soooo I dunno...how can they win?

granted motorola is my least favorite of the Android OEMs...but I feel all devices should be more minimalistic in the end...same thing happened with computers and cars.

u can differentiate by angles/materials/etc here and there.

False dichotomy. There's a lot of ground between simply aping Apple's design decisions and sticking on random bits of bling. It's like saying that it's not possible to make a simple, modern piece of furniture that doesn't look like a clone of a Bauhaus piece. That a chair must have a seat at a certain height and four legs and a back, therefore everything converges on Mies van der Rohe-- which of course isn't a truism, it's just a failure of imagination.

There are any number of materials/detail choices that Motorola could make that would keep the Xoom well differentiated from the iPad. My suspicion is that they won't make those choices and either fall back into their feature phone ways, where extraneous bit of decorative cladding are tossed on to make it look more badass, or stick pretty close to the iPad template but in random sizes.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    ----------