Apple looking to simplify Maps on iPhone with dynamic emphasizing, exaggeration

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Could be good - but better be optional too. Some of us actually know how to read maps, and would find a simplified and 'distorted' map harder to use than an accurate representation.

I agree, I think the success of this depends on the implementation. When I am driving I hate using the current map app, but when I am planning a trip I love it (except it would be nice to be able to manipulate the driving route, hence I sometimes use MapQuest).

My biggest issues are the need for data coverage, it would be great if Apple could cut that cord, or at least allow the app to download and cache maps that you request. So often the current map app is slow as snot dripping off the doorknob due to data coverage. Also the simplified concept sounds great for when actually driving, but again it would be nice to have more details when planning a trip. Also I hate most turn by turn GPS's that only show you the next turn. I like to see where I am on the map as well as being told when a turn is coming up. The MapQuest app is pretty good at this, but again it needs a constant data connection, which is not good.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I sincerely hope this is not the representative of apple's efforts, and moreover I hope this patent is thrown out. Route maps, "Schematic maps" proper name, are old for one thing, and for another the technology for auto-generating them was developed at stanford in 2001. So what is novel here? That the computer doing the processing is pocket sized?

Looks like apple hired some developers who like maps, not cartographers or GIS techs who can develop. Boo, I was really hoping for some great improvements in the maps app for iOS 5.

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/routemaps/
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Could be good - but better be optional too. Some of us actually know how to read maps, and would find a simplified and 'distorted' map harder to use than an accurate representation.

I know how to read a map, but when the iPhone is mounted on my dashboard a few feet from my eyes I do find it hard to read the street names while driving. If I zoom the map in, it redraws at a larger size but the street names still use the same font size. So just increasing the font size on the relevant labels would be a big help.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

I know how to read a map, but when the iPhone is mounted on my dashboard a few feet from my eyes I do find it hard to read the street names while driving. If I zoom the map in, it redraws at a larger size but the street names still use the same font size. So just increasing the font size on the relevant labels would be a big help.

I highly recommend TomTom for iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnnash View Post

Note: If you have not seen the mapping implementation on an Android device, you more or less get a full fledged GPS with audio driving directions. It's very slick and obviously you don't have to update the maps once a year. The downside is that you need a data connection.

With GMaps version 5.7 (android) you can save a map section on your mobile device, avoiding the issue on a lost data connection.

http://techie-buzz.com/tech-news/dow...e-android.html

There's also several sources indicating that Google may be changing to on-board maps as a user option in the near future.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    minicaptminicapt Posts: 219member
    1. Rally car 'pacenotes', as developed by Denis Jenkinson with Stirling Moss, for the Mille Miglia 1955.

2. American Automobile Association "TripTiks".

Cheers
  • Reply 27 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has shown interest in creating a new Maps application for the iPhone and other iOS devices that would exaggerate some details, like roads or landmarks, to make navigation easier to follow.

The proposed invention, discovered by AppleInsider, is found in a U.S. patent application entitled "Schematic Maps.". It describes a method in which a mapping application would present users only with information that is most relevant to a given situation.

In another example, Apple shows how users could more easily locate their friends with a simplified map display. Features like outlines of buildings and even street detail are automatically omitted, and only streets and friends, or other points of interest, are displayed, providing a user with key information to guide them to the proper locations.

Apple's patent filing, made public this week by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, was first submitted in February of 2010. The proposed invention is credited to Jaron Waldman and Moran Ben-David.

Hmm. Looks really similar to an existing map idea originally developed at Sanford 10 years ago, called LineDrive.

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/routemaps/

With it already in use on MSN maps, wonder if Microsoft will have anything to say about Apple's patent application.

http://www.gpsreview.net/line-drive-maps/
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Simply maps?

Simplicity is holding maps back from being 3D with voice navigation.

If Apple wants to release the iPhone Senior Citizen edition, then this would be perfect.

Otherwise, this technology has remained unchanged for 4 years now.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I highly recommend TomTom for iPhone.

$50. For features that should have been implemented into iOS maps. I seriously hope you guys aren't buying this.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

$50. For features that should have been implemented into iOS maps. I seriously hope you guys aren't buying this.

You're absolutely right¡ I should spend $300 on the stand alone version that is less useful than the iPhone version.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You're absolutely right¡ I should spend $300 on the stand alone version that is less useful than the iPhone version.

Or... Not waste your money, although I assume you already have. I never implied a standalone GPS was right for anyone.

Apple should have had these features built into ios YEARS ago