City of Cupertino posts further details on Apple mega-campus

24567

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 124
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I reckon Cupertino will get lots of revenue form tourism....
  • Reply 22 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    I know I'm in a very obscure minority, but to me a spaceship will always be something like this:







    Is that what you use on your home planet?



    j/k
  • Reply 23 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,773member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Well, one hopes there are doors along the side that faces the central arboretum. Then you could presumably cut across that.



    True, but in bad weather ....
  • Reply 24 of 124
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,773member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    There will be transporters in several key areas throughout the campus.



    Oh good, any info? I was hoping that was the case and it would be some new super cool concept unique to Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    cloudgazercloudgazer Posts: 2,161member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post


    I know I'm in a very obscure minority, but to me a spaceship will always be something like this:







    But that's a British sci-fi spaceship, maybe if ARM were going to build one it would be Blake-7 style. Apple is californian, and the classic californian spaceships are Speibergian from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind and ET. They're round.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post






    Chemtrails?



    I doubt that those Chemtrails came from the engines of the space ship campus! But you never know?



    I like how campus space ship looks to have a bridge, it is in the floor plans too, I think they are calling it the restaurant!



  • Reply 27 of 124
    "Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives.

    We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology.

    Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths.

    Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.

    We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause.

    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion.

    We shall prevail!"
  • Reply 28 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by curveddesign.com View Post


    I doubt that those Chemtrails came from the engines of the space ship campus! But you never know?



    I like how campus space ship looks to have a bridge, it is in the floor plans too, I think they are calling it the restaurant!







    Whoopie Goldberg will be tending the bar.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post


    "Today, we celebrate the first glorious anniversary of the Information Purification Directives.

    We have created, for the first time in all history, a garden of pure ideology.

    Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths.

    Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any fleet or army on earth.

    We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause.

    Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion.

    We shall prevail!"



    cheezy
  • Reply 30 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post


    cheezy











    YOU MAY BE ON TO SOMETHING.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    Why does the Cupertino government have to "approve" of this plan? Is Apple getting a zoning variance? If they buy the property and build within zoning protocols, all they should need is a building permit. Maybe they're de-mapping some streets or something, I dunno.



    And I don't get why they wouldn't build, say, just one story higher so they have room to expand - if they have to get government approval anyway, and the government there is probably just falling over itself to grant it anyway, why not build slightly bigger so there's room to fit more employees than they already have in the area?
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post


    Why does the Cupertino government have to "approve" of this plan? Is Apple getting a zoning variance? If they buy the property and build within zoning protocols, all they should need is a building permit. Maybe they're de-mapping some streets or something, I dunno.



    A quick glance at the plans shows Apple's getting rid of at least one road, yes?



    Quote:

    And I don't get why they wouldn't build, say, just one story higher so they have room to expand - if they have to get government approval anyway, and the government there is probably just falling over itself to grant it anyway, why not build slightly bigger so there's room to fit more employees than they already have in the area?



    They're keeping One Infinite Loop for that.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    Can't wait for the first pictures of this from NASA.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post


    But that's a British sci-fi spaceship, maybe if ARM were going to build one it would be Blake-7 style. Apple is californian, and the classic californian spaceships are Speibergian from Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind and ET. They're round.



    Apple may be Californian, but Apple's top designer IS British
  • Reply 35 of 124
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post


    Why does the Cupertino government have to "approve" of this plan? Is Apple getting a zoning variance? If they buy the property and build within zoning protocols, all they should need is a building permit. Maybe they're de-mapping some streets or something, I dunno.



    To avoid nonsense like the ridiculous apartments that went up in my residential neighborhood - immediately dumping thousands of cars onto streets which aren't able to handle the extra traffic. :roll eyes:



    It is almost always necessary to get zoning approval for major construction projects to ensure that the streets, power lines, water supply, etc are able to handle it.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post


    And I don't get why they wouldn't build, say, just one story higher so they have room to expand - if they have to get government approval anyway, and the government there is probably just falling over itself to grant it anyway, why not build slightly bigger so there's room to fit more employees than they already have in the area?



    Maybe there are height restrictions. Maybe the city would only approve x number of offices due to traffic concerns. Maybe the substructure isn't sufficient for a taller structure. Maybe earthquake rules won't allow it due to the glass construction. I don't know the reason, but I suspect that the expensive architects that Apple hired considered expansion options.



    It always amazes me how anonymous teenagers on sites like this know more than multimillion dollar architect firms.
  • Reply 36 of 124
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    But why the glass walls? Aren't they afraid Google will have a self driving car drive loops around campus and point a Google Earth satellite in there?



    On my list to visit next time I'm in Cali.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post


    The church!



    You said it. The Cathedral of St. Jobs the Redeemer Innovator.
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    But why the glass walls? Aren't they afraid Google will have a self driving car drive loops around campus and point a Google Earth satellite in there?



    On my list to visit next time I'm in Cali.



    Why do you think they're literally planting entire forest around this thing?



    You've heard the expression "Can't see the forest through the trees"? This will be "You can't see the apple through the orchard!
  • Reply 39 of 124
    The 1000 seat auditorium looks way too small for WWDC. On the floor plans it is circular and it has floors underground also, there is a lobby, exhibition area and also a theater. There is a tunnel connecting to it from the main building. It is 100,000 square feet but I think that is still too small for the 5000 people that come to Apple's World Wide Developers Conference.
  • Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    But why the glass walls? Aren't they afraid Google will have a self driving car drive loops around campus and point a Google Earth satellite in there?



    On my list to visit next time I'm in Cali.



    Don't forget, there'll be e Reality Distortion Field that'll thwart Google.



    (Hope they put a Spindizzy under that thing)
Sign In or Register to comment.