Motorola purchase gives Google 17K issued, 7.5K filed patents

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,387member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Actually, the Kearns situation doesn't happen today because we now have a market for these types of patents. The patents get bought up and enforced by "non-practicing entities" (aka patent trolls). I like the more descriptive term "patent litigation investors" rather than Trolls. Everyone thinks trolls are evil. However, I think they are a necessary evil created by a more evil and sinister corporate America that tried to subvert the patent system.

On several occasions I have pointed out to this forum that the trolls would go away if corporations bought the technology at a reasonable price. It would save a lot of money by cutting out the middle men (i.e., the lawyers and trolls). It is such a simple solution, it drives me nuts that it isn't discussed more openly.

And those big corporations paying a higher price for patents would help ensure higher revenue for the lawyers handling the patent sales, with less work needed to complete the transactions. Mutually beneficial and an admirable goal.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Actually, the Kearns situation doesn't happen today because we now have a market for these types of patents. The patents get bought up and enforced by "non-practicing entities" (aka patent trolls). I like the more descriptive term "patent litigation investors" rather than Trolls. Everyone thinks trolls are evil. However, I think they are a necessary evil created by a more evil and sinister corporate America that tried to subvert the patent system.

On several occasions I have pointed out to this forum that the trolls would go away if corporations bought the technology at a reasonable price. It would save a lot of money by cutting out the middle men (i.e., the lawyers and trolls). It is such a simple solution, it drives me nuts that it isn't discussed more openly.

Okay... however I'm fairly confidant that these 'benevolent' organizations aren't paying the hardworking inventors a great sum for the patents they create. They like everyone is out to pay as little as possible for the greatest possible return.

In other words, the trolls aren't any better than the anti-competitive technology firms who wield patents like a sword. I believe it's safe to say the LION-SHARE of tech-centric inventions are built almost entirly on the foundation of previous works (patented or not) and are just worded cleverly enough to pass off as original designs.

In app purchasing is nothing more than a mail-order catalog without the 800 number nor the paper. Actually anyone who buys online does 'in app purchasing' when you take a second to thing about it... After all isn't a web browser an App?

Even the web was far from an original idea. As noted in this story you'll find the following text.

Quote:

Charles Petrie: How did you happen to start thinking about what would become the Web?

Robert Cailliau: There are actually many anecdotes and details, but at that time I had just stepped out of Office Computing Systems where I was group leader for a while. Much earlier, I had been developing document handling systems at CERN, and I had also been toying with Hypercard. We had all buildings connected with Appletalk, and it was just conceivable that we could get something done with hypertext over the network.

What I'm saying is many things are sold to us as 'original inventions' turn out to be anything but.
  • Reply 63 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

I'm sure this is just a user error on my part but I can't find 17k patents currently assigned to Motorola Mobility, Inc - in fact the patent assignment database currently only lists 29.

Any patent experts care to comment?

http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignm...OBILITY,%20INC.

Well, for one thing, a good deal of their patents may be Japan-only.