Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building

Comments

• Reply 21 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I hear that tremors makes it hover. Earthquake protection Apple style.

Is this going to be built on the fault line or the fill just south of San Mateo? That land is going to go someday. The big one might be the only thing that can stop Apple from worldwide dominance. (OK everyone, were moving to South Carolina.)
  • Reply 22 of 80
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

What's the distance around this thing?

2 x pi x r
  • Reply 23 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post

It is kind of bland and unexciting. My bet is that they wanted both literally and figuratively a "low=profile" building that did not aggressively disrupt the landscape.

The romantic drawings emphasize the dramatic skies and pretty trees and grasslands, because the building itself is certainly nothing to write home about, although the central park could be nice for workers--no one will be very far from some windows.

Nonetheless, it is kind of disappointing---a lost opportunity. I am wondering if in thirty years it will look as plain and deadly as Saarinen's 50s design for the huge new GM headquarters, which was done in the "correct" simplified modern style that supposedly expressed progressive industrialism. But it now looks boring, plain and uninviting in its relentless, unadorned regularity and minimalism.

You don't understand much about Architecture at all do you?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post

(My guess is that it's being precisely, if slightly smaller, than the Pentagon was no accident.)

.. and your tin foil hat is slightly askew.
  • Reply 24 of 80
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,978member
    Is it just me or does it seem like an old story that companies tend to build their big "statement" edifices just before they peak? I am thinking of Enron among others. One of the things I always admired about Apple was that they became the most valuable company in the world while basically living in repurposed structures. Kind of like the rich guy who rents a modest apartment as opposed to the nouveau riche guy who builds a palace with polychromed classical statuary all over the place.

Guess I'm just paranoid. After years of having an underdog mentality vis-a-vis Apple, I am having trouble adapting to success.
  • Reply 25 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

What's the distance around this thing?

The building's diameter is nearly one mile. Interoffice parcels are proposed to be delivered by the gal from the 1984 commercial, though she probably doesn't have the same spring in her step anymore. Catapults in the courtyard have not been ruled out.
  • Reply 26 of 80
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

2 x pi x r

It's not actually that simple since the hallways are inside the building and, thus, would have a slightly smaller radius. I suppose if we know the inner radius and outer radius, we could guestimate based on a point in between.
  • Reply 27 of 80
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Has it can been seen on the floor plan the building has an actual radius of 760 feet, 1520 feet diameter. As such the building has actually a smaller diameter than the Pentagon.

The perimeter is bigger though. 4775 feet vs. Pentagon?s 4605.
  • Reply 28 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is it just me or does it seem like an old story that companies tend to build their big "statement" edifices just before they peak? I am thinking of Enron among others. One of the things I always admired about Apple was that they became the most valuable company in the world while basically living in repurposed structures. Kind of like the rich guy who rents a modest apartment as opposed to the nouveau riche guy who builds a palace with polychromed classical statuary all over the place.

Guess I'm just paranoid. After years of having an underdog mentality vis-a-vis Apple, I am having trouble adapting to success.

Add PanAm to your list. They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building which also succeeded in destroying one of New York's greatest urban vistas. All for the purpose of having their corporate name displayed in neon high above the city. A lot of good that did them, in the end.

From the rendering of the Apple HQ, the statement is hardly so bold though. The size of the building won't read from the ground, and actually neither will the plan. That's the really odd thing about this building -- the plan catches the eye, but this will only be seen by birds and people in airplanes. Hard to know exactly what they are going for.
  • Reply 29 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building .....

Penn or Grand Central?

I ask because I thought that Penn Station was near MSG. Perhaps it was moved there because of Pan Am? If so, that would be an interesting bit of history....
  • Reply 30 of 80
    kyle76kyle76 Posts: 54member
    Radius? Diameter? I think the term you guys are searching for is circumference -- the distance around the circle.
  • Reply 31 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Penn or Grand Central?

I ask because I thought that Penn Station was near MSG. Perhaps it was moved there because of Pan Am? If so, that would be an interesting bit of history....

:sigh: No knowledge of history, and not even an ability to Google it?

The old Penn Station was a far greater edifice than the overrated Grand Central. The Javitz Center owes a lot to that design.
  • Reply 32 of 80
    A key element of the circle would be the center and should have some significance. I wonder what might be at the radius point.
  • Reply 33 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

:sigh: No knowledge of history, and not even an ability to Google it?

The old Penn Station was a far greater edifice than the overrated Grand Central. The Javitz Center owes a lot to that design.

... and the old grand Penn was demolished and MSG was built in its spot.

The Pan Am Building (now Met Life) is behind Grand Central.
  • Reply 34 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

But Jobs is building a very low-key, understated structure. There's no reason for Apple to exist in cramped quarters, and Jobs apparently does not require a monument to his ego. (See by way of contrast: Trump Towers.)
  • Reply 35 of 80
    laleslales Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Since when does a circle have an end? I assume you mean directly opposite from wherever you are.

But yes, you're right: how does one navigate longest/longer distances? Will there be golf carts/electric vans? Otherwise pity the unlucky employee who's unfortunate enough to be at the furthest point from the Commissary. More to the point, given his health, how will Jobs navigate around?
  • Reply 36 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lales View Post

More to the point, given his health, how will Jobs navigate around?

Chariot
  • Reply 37 of 80
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Wow that looks cool. I know the images are highly idealized, but they're also very tasteful. The building is clean, not overbearing, and beautiful. How very Apple...

Jimzip
  • Reply 38 of 80
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member
    Apple is all about user experience. And in this case, the users are Apple employees. Yeah, they could make a monstrous ego tower if they wanted, but instead they're attempting to make a building that can both house a large number of people and still have a human scale.
  • Reply 39 of 80
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    which atrium holds the stupid huge pile of cash for swimming in?
  • Reply 40 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

2 x pi x r

Your other respondent really didn't get it did they.

I'd say that formula is closer than most