Apple's 'spaceship' campus larger than Pentagon, Empire State Building

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

Wasn't suggesting anything in particular. The corridor appears to be about 0.9 miles long. Someone was asking what the circumference would be.

OK, maybe I assumed too much from your post title: "Walk the walk - of nearly a mile"
  • Reply 62 of 80
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

OK, maybe I assumed too much from your post title: "Walk the walk - of nearly a mile"

Easily done.

All the best.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Add PanAm to your list. They crushed Penn Station for an abysmal building which also succeeded in destroying one of New York's greatest urban vistas. All for the purpose of having their corporate name displayed in neon high above the city. A lot of good that did them, in the end.

From the rendering of the Apple HQ, the statement is hardly so bold though. The size of the building won't read from the ground, and actually neither will the plan. That's the really odd thing about this building -- the plan catches the eye, but this will only be seen by birds and people in airplanes. Hard to know exactly what they are going for.

No they didn't. Penn Station was destroyed to build Madison Square Garden. The PanAm building is adjacent to the rear of Grand Central Terminal, but the GCT still exists in all its glory.
  • Reply 64 of 80
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

I don't see any parking in the renders. It would be interesting if they were able to put the parking underneath the structure to maintain the overall park-like look of the campus. When I was at the Pixar campus many years ago I was very impressed with the architecture. I was told that Steve Jobs had a lot of control over the technology and appearance behind the construction of the Pixar Campus. The building actually sits inside of a reinforced concrete tub that still holds it at ground level. The tub is roughly 4 feet deep and is approximately 12 feet wider and longer than the building itself. The building piers are massive steel posts and sit on top of huge ball bearings that allow the building move during tremors. The outer perimeter of the building has an enormous rubber belt around it (about 6ft. wide) that comes in contact with the perimeter of the reinforced concrete tub. Basically the building does sort of "hover" inside of this tub. I'd assume a similar technology would be used on this new campus. I'd like to see them set another example by adding a few wind turbines and or solar to the entire roof of the building (not covering the skylights of course. Apple has always strived to be green and they could really shine with this new structure.

There's parking under the round structure and there's also a separate 3-story parking structure. See the previous post from a few days ago that includes a PDF with all the details.
  • Reply 65 of 80
    Being at a university where our 1500 seat theater is too small, I would recommend that they look at a 2500 seat theater with master acoustics and all. In addition to the dog and pony shows, they could use it for some real theater and music concerts. They will rue the day they didn't make it bigger.
  • Reply 66 of 80
    Well, of course it is larger than the Pentagon. What else is Apple going to do with the $80 Billion it has hoarded off the backs of slave labor in China? You might think Apple could bring some production back to the US, to Cupertino and give some of that enormous stash to US workers. But, alas, Apple and Steve Jobs ("Slave Jobs" as we call him here in the Heartland) has succumbed to extraordinary greed, like all US CEO's these days.
  • Reply 67 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

Blah blah crap that isn't true blah blah look at me, I pretend not to buy stuff from China, blah blah more crap along the same vein blah blah.

I humbly disagree.
  • Reply 68 of 80
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I humbly disagree.

I vehemently disagree with Bruceedits' asinine statement. If Apple was building their new HQ outside the US that would be a different story. Hell, Apple is one of the few call centers that still route you to a US rep for pretty much all products and services.
  • Reply 69 of 80
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Since the campus nickname is a spaceship, here's a more suitable structure comparison...

• Reply 70 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I vehemently disagree with Bruceedits' asinine statement. If Apple was building their new HQ outside the US that would be a different story. Hell, Apple is one of the few call centers that still route you to a US rep for pretty much all products and services.

Heck, when I called once to talk about my Mac Pro, I was routed to the British call center for whatever reason! That's the kind of outsourcing I can get behind: classier accents!

His definitely wasn't Cockney, but it swung a little that way.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Also, how the hell do you get around that super long ship. Do they have sideways elevators? Or are there car lanes on the ship. It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Or better yet, will there be segue ways in the apple campus? Or better yet, moving walkways. That would be really pro. The iWalk.

Transporter technology. You KNOW they have it!
  • Reply 72 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

Since the campus nickname is a spaceship, here's a more suitable structure comparison...

Hahahaha!! LOVE IT!!!

At first glance, I thought, that scale can't be right. But then I remembered that this iteration of the Enterprise was 700 meters long, so that looks about right.
  • Reply 73 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drow View Post

which atrium holds the stupid huge pile of cash for swimming in?

Super rough estimate suggests that if you had a floor to top-of-building (est. 16 m) atrium, you'd need about 75,000 square feet to hold Apple's $80 billion (in singles).*

* I was never good at math, so I invite any math nerds to correct me on this.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Yea it comes with a runner girl and a girl is short skirt. That's why they have the glass walls. Though I am not sure how that impacts productivity.

Also, how the hell do you get around that super long ship. Do they have sideways elevators? Or are there car lanes on the ship. It would suck to have to walk from one end to the other.

Or better yet, will there be segue ways in the apple campus? Or better yet, moving walkways. That would be really pro. The iWalk.

It would suck if they employee the average American. When I stayed in Japan I walked EVERYwhere and now that I am back in the U.S. it makes me laugh when people leave on strip mall and drive to the next one about 1/4 mile away...which are connected by SIDEWALKS!!!
  • Reply 75 of 80
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

No they didn't. Penn Station was destroyed to build Madison Square Garden. The PanAm building is adjacent to the rear of Grand Central Terminal, but the GCT still exists in all its glory.

Mistake on the location of Penn Station already corrected. And of course I know that Grand Central remains. I never said otherwise. The opposite in fact.
  • Reply 76 of 80
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by primedetailer View Post

A key element of the circle would be the center and should have some significance. I wonder what might be at the radius point.

A statue of Steve Jobs holding a WiFi antenna, of course!
  • Reply 77 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Hit a nerve, eh? I love Apple products and have been a user for 20 years. I feel that more high-paying jobs need to be here, in the US. I understand they have call centers in the US, but these are low wage jobs. I understand that Apple Store "associates" earn about $9.50/hr on average. That's better than the Chinese worker who makes about $3 a day building iPads and iPhones and lives with 30 others in a dorm room. How much cash would Apple have if they moved more production jobs to the US? Only $40 Billion?
  • Reply 78 of 80
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruceedits View Post

Hit a nerve, eh? I love Apple products and have been a user for 20 years. I feel that more high-paying jobs need to be here, in the US. I understand they have call centers in the US, but these are low wage jobs. I understand that Apple Store "associates" earn about $9.50/hr on average. That's better than the Chinese worker who makes about $3 a day building iPads and iPhones and lives with 30 others in a dorm room. How much cash would Apple have if they moved more production jobs to the US? Only $40 Billion?

You should perhaps have emphasised the word more in your post. Manufacturing will come back to the US once fully automated (or nearly fully automated) manufacture is possible and then more high paying positions will be created for those required to operate the new facilities, not for serf labour as in China.
  • Reply 79 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

I don't see any parking in the renders. It would be interesting if they were able to put the parking underneath the structure to maintain the overall park-like look of the campus.

Yes, there will be four levels of parking under the ring structure.

What I want to see is Turbo-lifts, able to go up, down, and sideways.

If anyone can do it, Apple can.

I wonder if Steve Balmer is throwing chairs and planning his own new building.

Triangular ? Spherical ?