HP begins TouchPad clearance with $99 fire sale

Comments

• Reply 21 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

As a retailer, I wouldn't sell them. The price is good, but there will be no support. People will eventually be mad with the purchase. Many people probably will still want to return them. I'd send them back.

i would buy one for a dedicated shitter internet device.
  • Reply 22 of 243
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That's odd - I just went to Bestbuy.com and the Touchpad is showing as 'sold out online'. I thought they had a quarter million of these lying around?

Maybe they just pulled them offline in advance of the big sale - so they don't have customers upset for paying full price.

Or, now that they got HP to approve the fire sale, they have pulled the stock and are saving it for a big sale of their own. Put it on the front page of their weekly sales flyer and use it to lure people into their store hoping they'll by more than just the tablet. That would be about what I'd expect from Best Buy.
  • Reply 23 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mplaisance View Post

Talk about no design and so 90's!!

You mean overdesign.

The best design is as little design as possible.
  • Reply 24 of 243
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean overdesign.

Yes very true! They should copy Apple's website too!
  • Reply 25 of 243
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I bought a 16GB one for a little over $90 after tax from HP.com with the $15 off coupon courtesy of Slickdeals. For that price you can't really go wrong.
  • Reply 26 of 243
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    this is a savage price massacre on all those cheap-o Android tablets that suckers buy. they won't sell any of them until the TouchPad glut is cleared out. and the even higher end brands like Samsung will have to knock $50-$100 off their prices too just to keep some sales going. however poor those sales are (they never say). Samsung might finally bite the bullet and dump the million+ 7" Froyo Galaxy tabs still sitting in warehouses and stockrooms after almost a year for $99 too. this might be their last chance to get anything for them at all.

and RIM's PlayBook? well, they shoot horses, don't they?

a true market Bloodbath.
  • Reply 27 of 243
    I blame Russell Brand and Manny Pacquiao for webOS's demise..
  • Reply 28 of 243
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You mean overdesign.

So is AAPL's design of their web site, over-reaching with HTML5 an over-design? Some time you have to over-design to set the standard.
  • Reply 29 of 243
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

That's quite a fire sale.

I'm sure it will sell now, but how funny would it be if they still can't sell through their quantities of touchpads?

Oh they'll sell, just look at the other posts. As a "shitter" tablet if nothing else.

If my father didn't teach me a LOT about the stock market, I would say this was a brilliant move to gain both Mind Share and Market Share. If people (tablet makers) are 'bidding' for mind share (a.k.a the AI article of bidding on Turkey's tablet initiative).

Watching the stocks, this is real. If they turn around on this, it will re-write all the schools of thought. I don't think HP are that revolutionary.
  • Reply 30 of 243
    The Kin is no longer famous. TouchPad sets a new record. but at least it sold more, right?
  • Reply 31 of 243
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    At $99, I'm definitely going to try to pick one up tomorrow.

At this current point in time, a tablet is just a portable web browser / video player to me. That's why I could never justify paying $500 for an ipad or a honeycomb tablet. but at $99, I can't think of a reason NOT to buy it.
  • Reply 32 of 243
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    I'd almost consider getting a couple just to use as infinitely customizable decoration elements in my place... either that or just for shitter tablets (the best device category ever).
  • Reply 33 of 243
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    just ninety-nine bucks? heck, at that price i'm gonna buy zero.
  • Reply 34 of 243
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    as soon as i posted my previous message i thought "what about an electronic picture frame?" does anyone know if they have a slideshow type app? that might actually make it worth it for me.
  • Reply 35 of 243
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'd almost consider getting a couple just to use as infinitely customizable decoration elements in my place... either that or just for shitter tablets (the best device category ever).

HP has dominant 95% marketshare of the shitter tablet category.

And it is because they make the best shitter tablets.
  • Reply 36 of 243
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

YES I would mount it on the wall and set the thing to rotate thru my iPhoto picture library, the hardest part is threading a wire in the back to have it powered up to the charger. Could also use it to display the time and weather. what else? does it have a camera then I could use it as a survellance device

hmmm
  • Reply 37 of 243
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    What is this going to do to pricing for other also-ran tablets?

• Reply 38 of 243
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

YES I would mount it on the wall and set the thing to rotate thru my iPhoto picture library, the hardest part is threading a wire in the back to have it powered up to the charger. Could also use it to display the time and weather. what else? does it have a camera then I could use it as a surveillance device

Bingo. I'd guess that it only needs to be charged once a day, so you could do that at night. Get a cheapo wireless webcam and you could have the video displayed on it through the web browser.

Live streaming news (or anything) feeds (RSS), artwork (traditional or otherwise), intercom system...
  • Reply 39 of 243
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

What is this going to do to pricing for other also-ran tablets?

I doubt it'll do much if anything at all. HP is just selling off warehouse stock; they're not producing anymore, so once they sell off their stock which would probably take a few days, it'll be business as usual for everyone else.
  • Reply 40 of 243
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

YES I would mount it on the wall and set the thing to rotate thru my iPhoto picture library, the hardest part is threading a wire in the back to have it powered up to the charger. Could also use it to display the time and weather. what else? does it have a camera then I could use it as a survellance device

hmmm