Chinese environmental groups take issue with Apple over pollution

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

China is the #1 polluting country precisely because of the "others" shifting all their pollution creating works into China.

Are you nuts?! Since when does Apple run the Chinese factories that make products for the American market?! Do you think Apple instructed them to foul the atmosphere and overwork their employees? Ridiculous!
  • Reply 62 of 65
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robre View Post

I know I exaggerate a bit - but my first thought was, "Love it." Years ago companies started to manufacture in places where the cost-of-manufacture was lower than in the U.S. There is a certain threshold that when reached, companies start looking at pulling back. Has China reached that point - were manufacturing cost is, let's say, to pick a number, 70 percent of the cost in the U.S.?

If not, they are closing the gap really fast. Foxconn recognizes that danger. It is thinking of adding its of robots to their lines. Is a Chinese robot really that much cheaper than one that "works" in the US? What if Apple would quietly install robies in their old set of manufacturing buildings in Sacramento, CA. I give them (the Chinese) five more years to have a run with it. After that who knows. Can't wait to see on the label "Designed by Apple in California, assembled in California."

Sorry, I think you're incorrect on just about all counts. The average wage of a manufacturing worker in China is about $130 a month. Let's say they double that to $260 a month.

At a Federal U.S. minimum wage of $7.25 an hour, an employee who works 48 weeks per year will earn $1160 a month. However, the company also has to pay the employer's share of Social Security and Medicare, so that adds about another 7%, bringing the total to $1241 a month. If the employer provides health insurance, add a minimum of another $500 a month, probably much more. So we're talking at least $1741 a month vs. $130 to $260 a month and that's to pay what is essentially, a poverty wage in most places in the U.S. (Try finding even a studio in a slum neighborhood in the five boroughs of NYC for less than $1000 a month. There are hardly any.)

And China is not big on robotics (aside from making robots for non-Chinese factories) because China is trying to find as many jobs as possible for its workers.

And the problem with bringing such jobs back to the U.S. for automated factories is that automated factories don't provide very many jobs.

Now having said that, we can bring those jobs back to places like Western Europe and the U.S. if we were all willing to pay 2-3x what we're paying now for Apple products. And no one is willing to do that.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

(For those wondering about my perspective, I am a Chinese-American environmental scientist)

1) Apple should be held to the same standards as everyone else. Just because we are fans of Apple products, we shouldn't give them a free pass. By the same token, people should not dog pile on them simply because they are a successful, famous brand. I have a feeling that if Apple were not in the media so much, this report would not have been made singling them out.

2) Having said that, what about Apple's response would even warrant a description as "unresponsive"? I know sometimes they take their time to gather the correct information before responding. Is that all it is, or is it literally hand-in-the-face rejection?

3) China as a whole needs to get its act together environmentally. Environmental standards and increased cost do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. At least, there are some low-hanging fruit where you can increase price by 5% and decrease pollution by 50% (hypothetical numbers). You do not have to turn every Shenzhen factory into an American Apparel boutique.

4) The above will probably happen on its own in China, but will take probably 10-25 years. As the middle class grows, they will naturally demand higher standards. They will become more educated as to the ill-effects of pollution. They will HOPEFULLY develop higher, more nuanced ethical standards.

THANK-YOU!!!!!!

GANXIE!!!!!!! (sorry about the lack of accents!)
  • Reply 64 of 65
    Um, you do know that Apple computers haven't been manufactured anywhere outside of Asia in 20 years right?

INcorrect. Cork made flavored iMacs, and possibly more, as late as 1999 (maybe longer.)
  • Reply 65 of 65
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

Actually, a chinese robot facility would be cheaper in china, as long as China maintains lax zoning and pollution laws.

The real expense to making things in the US is the Red Tape. Labor is more expensive, yes. But it's the laws, taxes, and limitations that currently make it unprofitable.

Laws, taxes, and limitations: The US government can help but refuses to help. Or should I say that the US citizens elected a government which refuses to help the US citizens in making the US more manufacturing friendly environment which brings in more jobs.

Yes, there is always pollutions from making iDevices. The pollutions in China will affect the weather globally sooner or later.