Google exec reiterates Motorola purchase not just for patents

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Bull. If you did large-scale M&A, you wouldn't make so many obvious blunders.

That is, of course, nonsense.

Schmidt could have gotten (and disseminated) a lot of information without breaking his NDA. Furthermore, proving that he violated the NDA would not be easy. That doesn't mean that he didn't do it.

The evidence is pretty clear. Look at Android's direction pre-iPhone and compare it to Android post-iPhone. And look at the timing. The change happened within months - far too quickly for it to be a simple market response.

You're making the frequent error of focusing on one single Android phone mockup that happened to have similarities with the Blackberry's. But it was only one of reportedly 5 different Android smartphone ideas proposed by different manufacturers that Google was showing around to potential Alliance partners. At least one of those was said to be a touchscreen phone, designed by Samsung no less.

FWIW, Google did not design the early Android phones as I understand it. Those mockups originated with the handset manufacturers.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Do you mean like mistaking deferred cash tax losses for operating cash flow as you did?

Time will show that I'm right.
  • Reply 103 of 108
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Do you mean like mistaking deferred cash tax losses for operating cash flow as you did?

Where did I do that? Oh, yeah. You made it up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

Time will show that I'm right.

Nonsense. It might or might not show Google's acquisition of Motorola to be a mistake - but I never took a position on that.

It will NOT support your argument that tax losses are irrelevant or should not be a part of the decision to buy a company.
  • Reply 104 of 108
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:

That is, of course, nonsense.

Schmidt could have gotten (and disseminated) a lot of information without breaking his NDA. Furthermore, proving that he violated the NDA would not be easy. That doesn't mean that he didn't do it.

The evidence is pretty clear. Look at Android's direction pre-iPhone and compare it to Android post-iPhone. And look at the timing. The change happened within months - far too quickly for it to be a simple market response.

If It's so "Obvious" to you, a person on the internet, I'm sure it would be even more "obvious" to lawyers and engineers.

And again, Android was made to be put on a variety of devices, a variety of form factors.
  • Reply 105 of 108
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

It didn't used to be that way though. It used to be a decent apple news site, with some nice exclusives and interesting commentary on Apple's decisions. That was several years ago.

Now it can't even be called an "Apple Enthusiast" site. Your term "Fanboy website" is appropriate because the exclusives are (Largely) gone, as is pretty much ANY apple commentary. Instead, we're left with articles where apple "fanboys" (as you call them) try to pass off their commentary on Android, Google, Microsoft, RIM, Palm, etc to try and PROVE how much better Apple is.

There's a difference between being fans of something, and being fanboy's. Heck, most Rim/Android/Palm/etc fan sites are also some of those platforms biggest critics. AI doesn't even have that.

Maybe those Rim/Android/Palm sites feel free to criticize their respective platform choices because they're not infested with trolls and haters?

I would say the rise of "fanboyism" on this site is directly proportional to the influx of Android partisans who for some reason feel that they simply can't allow enthusiasm for iOS to go unchallenged, even if it means going way out of their way.

It's much less likely for a given member to feel conformable with criticizing Apple's policies or products when it's likely to put them at least tangentially in agreement with assholes.
  • Reply 106 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

such teething hate for no real reason from users here.

Yes, clearly anyone who doesn't believe in both of Google's contradictory positions on the Motorola acquisition is clearly biased and full of teething hate. What's wrong with these Apple sheep? Why don't they just love Google and accept them as the mobile innovator that Apple is obviously copying, because Windows Mobile 6 didn't have copy/paste and multitasking before Android invented it.
  • Reply 107 of 108
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Now would you really want to directly pick a fight with the company that provides a fair amount of popular applications for your platform, at least until you have backups? That wouldn't be very smart.

I do recall it being reported that Jobs told Apple staff that Google is trying to kill the iPhone, and Apple wouldn't' let it happen. Sounds like fighting words to me. Next thing you know Jobs buddy Ellison buys Sun's Java, and is suing Google.

Apple's frenemy Microsoft is taking a chunk out of Google's friends butts by getting royalty payments.

Apple's giving Google's partners HTC and Samsung a bruising.

It is interesting to revisit what Android looked like before and after iPhone. The copying is made worst by Google's acting CEO sitting on Apple's Board of Directors. Eric knew Google was coming out with a phone that would copy Apple. Yet he didn't resign.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Ok then, educate us. What did Google do to Apple and more importantly, why aren't Apple fighting back against whatever Google did directly with the company?

Are Apple pussies with nothing to fight back against or are you simply talking shite?

• Reply 108 of 108
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

It IS a great place for trolls to lurk and encourage one another! *GRIN*

Anyone who comes into a forum and immediately spouts the "ignorant fan boy" meme is all too worthy of the ephithet "troll". Nice try but you are in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong comment. And not even a pithey humorous or nicely barbed comment. Just a poor, mediocre sort of "meh" comment, a sort of tired, bitter, disillusioned comment sounding more like, "I have failed miserably in life and and now I have to go dribble my depressed ennui somewhere - ahhhhh! the AI fora!" So first, you get plopped in the ignore list, then...

Ah yeah ok... a year is pretty 'immediate', wtf, why write something about someone's time on site without even reading the joined date? You should IM the site, they like writers like you, LOL ;-p

But seriously though, I only stated the facts to help AbsoluteDesignz out, as he didn't seem to know what a rabid bunch of psychopaths some (NOT ALL) Apple fan boys can be and I simply suggested he shouldn't let it bother him.