Google's Schmidt says he's a 'very proud former board member' of Apple [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 97
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You're wasting your breath. Most of the posters are obviously not reading the preceding comments, only reacting to a false story that AI hasn't bothered to correct.

Edit: Kudos for the timely correction AI
  • Reply 62 of 97
    Glad to see AI corrected what is an old - and previously clearly reported - story.

This was said on the day that Steve Jobs retired, and was widely reported then (I had posted links to it then: see, e.g., http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14761387).

From everything that I've heard and read, Schmidt has nothing but the utmost praise for Jobs, and for what Apple has achieved. Sure, he might have a strong negative view on a couple of things, such as how Apple aggressively approaches IP issues, but that's par for the course.

I am surprised at the vehemence of the venom here.
  • Reply 63 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by argonaut View Post

"I was on the board until.... I'd stolen all the info I needed to help us transform Android into an iPhone copycat!..." (allegedly)

Tosser!

Eric Schmidt is a low down looser.
  • Reply 64 of 97

deleted

• Reply 65 of 97
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    AppleInsider should remove the comments posted here that were made before they fixed the error. Most of the comments here are in response to something Schmidt never said.
  • Reply 66 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

AppleInsider should remove the comments posted here that were made before they fixed the error. Most of the comments here are in response to something Schmidt never said.

Actually, most of the comments here are in response to people's feelings that Eric is a dick. Any excuse will do.

Personally, I'd defend him... because, as I said about Steve J., if you don't know him personally then please, shut the fuck up... I said please.

(I still feel that that particular photo is a bit creepy)
  • Reply 67 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Eric Schmidt is a low down looser.

Could you describe a looser... my mind is racing?
  • Reply 68 of 97
    Quote:

However, they clearly reflect the attitude of those that posted.

I am sure many read the headline and thought: What!? A respected CEO said what!? Who wrote this? Ah Slash Lane. Let me bing this info before I am led down a path of misinformation again
  • Reply 69 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kellya74u View Post

Simplify (Music) was a $2.99 app you could purchase to stream all of your music on your, over the internet, to your iPhone. Simple, intuitive, it just worked. Apparently, while Schmidt is sitting on Apple's board, he allowed Google to purchase the company running Simplify, had the company convert their business to support Android only, & turned of the service for all of the (their) Mac customers. No transition, no comment, no consideration, no sense of loyalty for paid customers, just a harsh cut-throat stab-you-in-the back "ha ha-got you!" to Apple, leaving the inherited customers as carnage on the roadside. This was an unethical decision made years ago, which apparently they stand by as consistent with their business model, as they have never said, "oops, we goofed on that one. They could have left the mac service running, continuing to update it to prove their integrity in the Google name, kept it running without updating it, calling it 'legacy', jokingly refund the $2.99 to the customers, or give them $2.99 credit at the Goggle app store for future purchases. Its evident they don't care. Their agenda is their agenda.

You are one bitter little man (or woman).

I must have missed all of the apologies that Apple has made every time it pulls the rug out from under its customers. You know, that apology to all the outraged Final Cut Pro users after the release of Final Cut X for example.
  • Reply 70 of 97
    Being misquoted and actually saying how proud he was to have served on Apple's BOD and how much he just LOVES Steve Jobs, means that now there has to be rounds of profuse apologies to Mr. Schmidt and a general love fest for the man.

No.

What he did, he did. The evidence, albeit circumstantial, is clear that his involvment with Apple allowed him access to and knowledge of key design elements, which he used in turn at Google to redirect Android efforts. There is no effectively logical design path from the initial Android prototype to the resultant Android platform. Period. Schmidt used his position to serve his interest at Google.

That fact remains that the misquote was a more expected response (even if it was jarringly different than the rest of the commentary), than his profuse praise of Apple and Jobs. That AI updated and corrected the article is fine and the right thing to do, but I for one am not going to heed the calls from so many that he was wronged. A little approbation isn't going matter whether called for or not. And it far less than his actions merit in my book. He has thrown in his lot with Google and anything he does or says, has to be viewed in that light.
  • Reply 71 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

There sure are a lot of sandy vaginas on AI today.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

This is all too funny!

Seriously.

Fanboypalooza in high gear.
  • Reply 72 of 97
    First two posts called him jerk and weasel. I think that's a bit harsh, but I do agree that Google got a leg up on Android as we know it by using Schmidt's accesss to Apple, something that he didn't have when it came to the iPad.
  • Reply 73 of 97
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 74 of 97
    Amazing to see how aggressively people have reacted to this misquote.

The praise he had for Jobs and Apple was very humble. Trust AI members to turn it into a vile hatefest.

Really, did Schmidt do something awful like kick your puppy (or even worse) bang your mother? Why the anger?
  • Reply 75 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

You are one bitter little man (or woman).

I must have missed all of the apologies that Apple has made every time it pulls the rug out from under its customers. You know, that apology to all the outraged Final Cut Pro users after the release of Final Cut X for example.

You must have missed where Apple backpedaled and started selling the old FCP again. Also, FCPX didn't make all older versions obsolete whereas Google, in the name of open, made those paid apps useless.
  • Reply 76 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

Amazing to see how aggressively people have reacted to this misquote.

The praise he had for Jobs and Apple was very humble. Trust some AI members to turn it into a vile hatefest.

Really, did Schmidt do something awful like kick your puppy (or even worse) bang your mother? Why the anger?

There... fixed that for you...

... and I'd rather have him bang my mother than kick my dog...
  • Reply 77 of 97
    Quote:

I am sticking to my original comment. Google has not made any significant amount of money on Android, but it sure negatively affected Apple's market share in the smartphone market, which could have been much much higher if it weren't for Android. If Eric Schmidt were really a friend, he would not have gone ahead with Android, knowing how much Apple had invested in the iPhone project.
  • Reply 78 of 97

deleted

• Reply 79 of 97
    Quote:

....this scenario you painted actually happened

It DID actually happen.

Look at EVERY SINGLE Touch User Interface SMARTPHONE that magically appeared starting in 2009, running Android.

Look at what Android actually was, Prior to Google's sudden enlightenment:

http://obamapacman.com/2011/08/andro...t-windows-1-0/

Quote:

Steve Jobs... ...insisting he be a member of the board and keeping him around

Sounds like you pulled that quote out of your ass.

Let's read a verifiable Steve Jobs quote together, shall we:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We did not enter the search business; they entered the phone business," Jobs said of Google during a company meeting in 2010. "Make no mistake, Google wants to kill the iPhone. We won't let them."

Yup, sounds like Steve Job's just LOVED having Eric snooping around, doesn't it ??
  • Reply 80 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

I am sticking to my original comment. Google has not made any significant amount of money on Android, but it sure negatively affected Apple's market share in the smartphone market, which could have been much much higher if it weren't for Android. If Eric Schmidt were really a friend, he would not have gone ahead with Android, knowing how much Apple had invested in the iPhone project.

The future is Mobile. Both Google and Apple knew that hence the existence of iOS and Android.

Why should any company jeopardize their future over some fallacy of friendship? Google are bolstering their core business with Android (search, ads & user data) so their entry into mobile is logical.