Apple staffer posing as police allegedly searched home for missing iPhone prototype

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 193
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I hope my kids never kick a ball over the fence into your yard.

It sounds like there'd be hell to pay if I knocked on your door and asked if I could go look for it and you said yes, go ahead take a look.

Would I need a warrant or something?

Dunno. Are you bringing 4 badges with you and attempting to imply you're one too, while suggesting that you might need to see some papers proving I'm here legally?

Honestly Hill60, if you see nothing wrong with the situation as it's been described and really think that because a scared kid let two Apple employees ransack thru his belongings it was all OK, I'm shocked!
  • Reply 182 of 193
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

You have said its "not on the books", that's something you made up, the SFPD never said that. "we have no record", now your quoting out of context and deliberatly trying to misslead. You can not have a record of an investigation that never happened. There was no investigation so when Dangefield said "we have no record of an investigation" he was correct.

Man, you are trying way to hard here. 'Not on the books' and 'we have no record' aren't the thing? You are unreal. They didn't say "we can't find a record". They said "we have no record". It just English man. You really don't understand what "we have no record means"?

"You have no money". That doesn't you can't find you money. It doesn't mean you are looking for your money. It means you have no frakking money. "we have no record" means that have no record. It's not on the books. It's off the books.

How old are you?

Quote:

Well from the public record my scenerio is consistant and logical and fit in with the facts, yours on the otherhad sound like it comes from an imbecile.

Mine used facts. Yours uses fantasy, illogical conjecture and a poor understanding of the English language.

Quote:

Now thats you making up stories again. You have no facts so you resort to fiction.

Dude, seriously? Reading really isn't that hard. You tried to excuse the missing records as the detctives not having time to transcript the notes. They had a fucking month. The loss and search occurerd in July. We are now in Sept. That is, at the least, 1 month that had to transcribe their notes. That's not fiction, that is the facts as we know them. You don't like them, but that doesn't mean you get to make up your own.

You are incredible. You fail to properly read and then have to call others imbeciles? I truly hope this is an act.

Quote:

Did Mr Calderon say anyone was racist, no he didn't. You just decided that since you didn't have a leg to stand on you would call the officers racist and then try to blame Apple.

What are you talking about now? I recognize racism, especially when it as overt as the story makes out. Do you rally need white hoods and burning crosses before you recognize racist actions?

You may not think it is racist, but that is pretty telling of you.

[
    Quote:

Making up stories again based on your delusional perception. You arguments are now based on "if" and "could have been". Your entire reply can be summed up as "I won't Apple to be guilty of something, anything, facts be dammed". Did Mr Calderon say that either of the two people who entered the house with his permission asked about his or anyone elses immigration status? No he didn't. But that's not important to you as you know your argumeants hold no water and as such you smear by innuendo.

You aren't really big on logical thinking, are you? The story, as we have it, is that someone asked him if he was a citizen and threatened or implied he and his family could face immigration problems (because they are hispanic) if they did not cooperate.

Now the "logicing": If someone from the group of cops and Apple staff did day that, then it was either a cop or an Apple staff. Did you see what I did there? It wasn't you, it wasn't me, it wasn't the freaking easter bunny. If it was someone from the group, then it was someone from the group.

Man, these forums used to be great for intelligent conversation. What the fuck happened?

Edit: and no, I don't want Apple to be guilty of anything. I want them to be better than this story makes them out to be, legal or otherwise. I've been an Apple user/fan likely longer than you have been alive, and as such, it saddens and angers me to see what some of the newer Apple fans bring to the community. We don't need people that will blindly excuse any behaviour nor people that will make things up to defend them and we certainly don't need people that either cannot read properly or misrepresent what they have read.
  • Reply 183 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I hope my kids never kick a ball over the fence into your yard.

It sounds like there'd be hell to pay if I knocked on your door and asked if I could go look for it and you said yes, go ahead take a look.

Would I need a warrant or something?

Well, if you show you with cops and accuse your neighbour of theft, then yeah, I might ask for a warrant.

Educate your kids on their rights well. I would hate for a night to come when some guys trail your daughter home from the bar. Maybe they bring their cop buddies with them. After introducing themselves as cops and flashing badges and explaining they are looking for something they request entry to search and tell her she would be helping a lot if she does and will be in a lot of trouble if she doesn't. Maybe they threaten legal action against you and her mom.

I would hope you educated your daughter so that she does not agree to any request from the police and that she does ask for a warrant search. Otherwise, she might be a little upset later to find out the guys going through her panty drawer were not police at all. Because, if she gave them permission, they didn't do anything wrong and she
  • Reply 184 of 193
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 185 of 193
    deleted
  • Reply 186 of 193
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Thankfully the federal court recently clarified that issue:

Federal Courts Rule it is Not Illegal to Film Police

http://technorati.com/technology/art...ule-it-is-not/

It may not stop them from beating you up, but it'll increase the size of your settlement.

Unfortunately, it may be awhile before a ruling in a federal court plays out in a few states, which still have laws banning video or audio recording of police activity. Catch this beauty from Illinois, which provides for up to 15 years in prison for EACH COUNT. The video link inside this web page is 18 minutes long, but well worth watching if you have the time.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/illi...ilming-police/

• Reply 187 of 193
    deleted
  • Reply 188 of 193
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The San Francisco Police Department has said it has no record of a formal investigation into yet another missing prototype iPhone. In addition, the man whose home was searched claims people impersonating police offers came into his residence, with evidence suggesting one of the individuals was an Apple-employed "senior investigator" [updated with confirmation of visit from SFPD].

The employees should be fired immediately. The person in charge of Security should be made to answer close questions about haw and why he hired these guys. If he knew anything about ti, he too should be fired.
  • Reply 189 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

and the guy whose domicile was searched says that people came into his home and "allegedly questioned him"?

is there no way for you alleged journalist-wannabes to confirm anything you put into an "article"?

Don't believe a word you read here. Always go to the real article or the press release to get confidence. AI just rehashes and spins the work of others, rather than offering anything real.

Rather than reading AI for factual news, read it for entertainment value after looking at CNET or The WSJ or wherever they get the stuff they regurgitate.
  • Reply 190 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

This is a perfect example of why you should never let anyone into your home without calling the police station, with the number in the phonebook, to verify the badge number and location of an officer reputing to have the authority to enter your home. If you have a cell phone or second line, you should also call your lawyer or at least an independent witness to come to the scene immediately.

Never say anything to the police other than "I'd rather remain silent." Never let them into your house without a proper warrant.

The guy was playing with fire. The police WILL lie to you - it is their most effective tool when doing investigations. They WILL fuck you over. Never believe a single word they say. Never.

The police are not your friend. The only friends they have are other LEOs and the families of LEOs. To them, there are only three types of people: LEOs and their families, pieces of shit, and victims of crime (who shortly thereafter regain their POS status).
  • Reply 191 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I knew one. He eventually had to quit the force because being the only one in his department not in on the take was becoming hazardous to his health.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm equally sure they're just as lonely.

Watch the movie Serpico for a glimpse into what happened to one NYC cop who would not take money.

Generally, the other cops send him into a dangerous situation first, then close the door behind him, and then enter only after he has been shot to death.
  • Reply 192 of 193
    This whole story sounds like a publicity stunt. And its working as many people have been talking about it.
  • Reply 193 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

This whole story sounds like a publicity stunt. And its working as many people have been talking about it.

I hear lots of people saying that, but why would Apple stoop to that level? Their marketing has been very successful. This type of stunt would go against everything they have carefully crafted for their image. The iPhone launches have lineups for weeks or months, get rave reviews and set the bar for others. They have tried to create an image of being the tech standard for elegance and class.

Nothing classy about a cheap publicity stunt. I would more expect Apple to launch the next iPhone with a Hooters wet t-shirt contest than to pull a stunt like this.