HTML suggests 'Find My Friends' social service still coming to Apple's iCloud

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
More evidence of a "Find My Friends" social networking service from Apple has surfaced, with alleged Apple-written HTML code suggesting it could be a part of iCloud when it launches this fall.



The details were anonymously provided to AppleInsider by a person who said they were "digging around" when they came across an online support tool for MobileMe, Apple's iCloud predecessor. The authenticity of the code cannot be verified, but a "Find My Friends" feature was also referenced earlier this year in an iOS 4.3 beta.



The tipster claims they looked at the HTML accompanying the page they accessed, and found references to the rumored "Find My Friends" service.



It includes references to standard social networking functions, like a list of people a user is "following," as well as "pending" and "accepted" follower requests. The code also mentions user statuses, updates, blocking of users and removing followers.



Earlier this year, the iOS 4.3 beta also included references to a "Photo Stream" service that would sync pictures saved to an iOS device with Apple's remote cloud-based servers. That feature was later formally announced in June as part of the forthcoming iCloud service along with iOS 5.



Potentially lending support to the authenticity of the alleged iCloud website HTML, it references "Streams" of pictures and videos uploaded through the service. It includes code for "Picture and Video Count," "Max Limit," "Last Upload," and "UDID," for the unique identifying number for an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.







Specifics on Apple's supposed "Find My Friends" feature remain unknown, but its name suggests the social networking tool could be similar to existing products like Google Latitude or Loopt, allowing users to share their location via GPS and more easily find one another.



Apple's interest in a location-sharing service was detailed by AppleInsider last December, in a patent application filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Referred to in the documentation as "Friend Locator," the service would use Apple's push notification service to share their location with friends via GPS.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Looks like Apple will have some iOS secrets to reveal at this month's special event.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Good for people who need this stuff... I think the whole social networking thing is meh.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I smell a class action lawsuit coming before the service is even announced...
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Good for people who need this stuff... I think the whole social networking thing is meh.



    You're missing out on some really great cat videos...
  • Reply 5 of 28
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Good for people who need this stuff... I think the whole social networking thing is meh.



    +1



    We're already at the point of brain drain with social networking. Too many companies think a post to twitter or fb constitutes social networking. I know where my friends are because I can call them...we actually go old school and exchange phone #
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Why is "digging around" in quotes?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    Why is "digging around" in quotes?



    Because they were not literally "digging around". They were perusing through code.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not so much because I want any specific iCloud feature but rather because I'm not so sure it will properly replace Mobile Me for me. In part this rumor is good because it gives hope that ICloud will be more robust and useful than has been yet implied.



    Believe it or not I've grown very use to Mobile Me.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    must have been a time-based trigger that necessitated labeling this 300-word essay a "feature". i sure did write a lot of "features" when i was in school.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post


    Good for people who need this stuff... I think the whole social networking thing is meh.



    Me too. But is this social networking/messages etc. or is it just showing you a map with all your friends pinpointed on it, ala Find My iPhone?
  • Reply 11 of 28
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    +1



    We're already at the point of brain drain with social networking. Too many companies think a post to twitter or fb constitutes social networking. I know where my friends are because I can call them...we actually go old school and exchange phone #



    Unfortunately it is becoming obligatory for companies to get a presence on FB. Sort of like it was in the 90s when you had to have a website or face embarrassment among your peers. We are doing a lot of FB apps for our clients lately. What a pain in the ass API that is. I really hate FB now, where as before I was only ambivalent.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Looks like Apple will have some iOS secrets to reveal at this month's special event.



    So many NDAs seem to get broken daily it will be a miracle if they do. I love speculating but I love getting a really good surprise more so I wish devs would keep mum. Major Apple events are my grown up Christmas mornings.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    You're missing out on some really great cat videos...



    oooh, got links? I love cat videos.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    things are stacking up nicely for Apple this month.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Pretty scary stuff. Leave your phone unattended and someone can set up a tracking request and track you without your knowledge untill you go through the list next time.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Well, I sure hope Apple are a bit more forward thinking than you bunch of luddites!



    Whether you like it or not, social networks play a central role in how human beings communicate now and increasingly so in the future.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post


    What a pain in the ass API that is. I really hate FB now, where as before I was only ambivalent.



    Facebook API ranks as my number one most hated API of all time. I hated it so much I built a framework to abstract it's vulgarities.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Pretty scary stuff. Leave your phone unattended and someone can set up a tracking request and track you without your knowledge untill you go through the list next time.



    You mean a request is sent, but until u authorise it, the other person can't see you. Pretty crazy paranoia you have there.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Not so much because I want any specific iCloud feature but rather because I'm not so sure it will properly replace Mobile Me for me. In part this rumor is good because it gives hope that ICloud will be more robust and useful than has been yet implied.



    Believe it or not I've grown very use to Mobile Me.



    I'm in the same boat. iDisk and Galleries is pretty tough to give up but we have almost a year to see how this develops.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Pretty scary stuff. Leave your phone unattended and someone can set up a tracking request and track you without your knowledge untill you go through the list next time.



    I can't believe any person would not have a password lock on his/her phone (iPhone or otherwise) in this day and age. There is a lot more to worry about than tracking in your scenario.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    Well, I sure hope Apple are a bit more forward thinking than you bunch of luddites!



    Whether you like it or not, social networks play a central role in how human beings communicate now and increasingly so in the future.



    "... central role in how human beings communicate?" In the Western world, FB is a frivolous self-indulgence - elsewhere, it may have more value as a communications system. Personally, I prefer my "friends" to still be available to me when the batteries or electricity fail, and I prefer to conduct that friendship in person without broadcasting it to the world. If that is being a Luddite - count me in.
Sign In or Register to comment.