Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Honestly, the screen on a phone is too small, even on the larger screen of the Samsung Note, for serious content creation.

Further, if people are relying on a phone to think themselves out of austerity we are all in trouble. Assuming you are American, the US is in this mess because of greedy and short sighted policy making that favors corporate interests over those of the Country at large. Large international corporations have little care for how we americans are faring.

Finally, the Samsung Galaxy Note is not an innovative product. It is copying from Microsoft's stylus based note taking phones.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Although an Apple user myself, I am surprised that Apple fan bois, as in those will be buy Apple simply because it is Apple, tend to stick their heads in the sand.

This week, Samsung launched what is without any doubt the most useful and imaginative mobile phone ever, the Galaxy Note. Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

If iPhone 5 is simply a tool to bleed users of cash in return for apps or NFC purchased lattés, then it may not sell as well as less expensive yet more versatile Android offerings.

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

Apple, are you listening?

END

• Reply 42 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

Iphone 4 button is wrongly designed.

I have changed 4 iPhones since it stops working. Yes. I use multitasking.

To make such a statement you should be able to detail exactly how it's wrongly designed. And why have eliminated poor implementation or bad materials, or unusual usage patterns from the equation?

Quote:

A5 is not to hot for the iPhone even if its processed in 40nm. Other ARM manufactures have dual core ARMS 1.2-1.5ghz at the same power envelope that Apple uses.

Is it the same power envelope? I haven't read any detailed reviews confirming this. Why would Apple need to go to 1.5GHz? Just because some other vendor has to keep their device feeling as quick as the the iPhone? I don't think so. As usual we can expect Apple to balance performance with longevity, not simply focus on one aspect to try to win in some silly spec sheet contest.

Quote:

iCloud is a great gimmick.

To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

Gimmick? Explain.

Quote:

It is also ironic that USA have one of the most expensive data planes for phones. I pay 5 dollars for 5 gig. When the cap is hit, it throttles down to 384kbit per second. Enough for stream music.

Your country offering cheaper data means ≠ USA has the most expensive data plans.
  • Reply 43 of 74
    Back to the original topic.

All these reports are worthless. No way of predicting Apples launch date. However it does appear that IOS 5 is not complete yet and this may be holding up the launch. IPHONE 5 is not going to launch before the developers can design APPS for IOS5 and so far that has not happened.
  • Reply 44 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukei View Post

It is quite a common problem with the iPhone 4 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0)

Mine is intermittent and I put off getting it sorted, now out of warranty. It goes through phases of working fine for days then it'll be a right pain for a few hours. Not sure it is hardware or software, various opinions on that.

Mine was doing that as well and I took it to the bar on a lark. As weird as it sounds, they said it was dirty underneath. I live work in the desert a lot and between that and oil off my fingers and dust from day to day life in a year I got gunk under it. They were able to clean it out and it's fine.

I have heard of other folks that have had software issues as well. Some of them were jailbroken some not. So you could try doing a restore and a fresh rebuild and see if that fixes it. if it doesn't you can always restore the backup you'll of course do right before the restore to get it back to where it was.
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Quote:

Iphone 4 button is wrongly designed.

Draw how it would be 'rightly' designed, then.

Quote:

I have changed 4 iPhones since it stops working. Yes. I use multitasking.

Having what to do with anything? Why does multitasking factor into you sending three perfectly good phones back?

Quote:

3DTV is a gimmick. iCloud is use. Of course, you've never used it, so you obviously can comment on it.

Quote:

AT&T have problem with bandwidth today, how will it be with millions of iCloud devices?

Who cares? Go to Verizon, then. And when Verizon goes down, the telecoms will either go bankrupt or build networks that people actually want.
  • Reply 46 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

All these reports are worthless. No way of predicting Apples launch date. However it does appear that IOS 5 is not complete yet and this may be holding up the launch. IPHONE 5 is not going to launch before the developers can design APPS for IOS5 and so far that has not happened.

Yeah, I think sometime between this week and the next I will be getting an iPhone 4 for my wife as her job requires it. When the iPhone 5 comes out, I will sell my iPhone 4 and get an unsubsidized iPhone 5.

Call me a fanboi, but it's my money and I can do what I want with it (so suck it, i-am-entitled-to-the-best-and-innovative-Apple-product-bois-or-the-competition-is-still-better-how-dare-you-Apple-not-give-me-what-i-want-pouts-and-sits-in-corner-torn-rubber). If my post is not making any sense, that would be the glass of wine I just drank talking. Cheers!

EDIT: Or maybe I won't have to:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...e.5.discounts/
  • Reply 47 of 74
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

Apple are not innovating quickly enough - we have to wait many years for each iteration and this will hit them i 2012 unless they listen to the other 90% of the market. Stylus devices have not failed - the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while. (And were saved by Android.)

Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.

Apple needs to go in the opposite direction, with cheaper phones. The expensive almost tablet sized screen with a stylus appeals to you, and the other guy, and a fellow in Japan, but it is not much of a market.

Quote:

. iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Thats more a less a statement without proof. Let me give you a counter proof. I dont have any music on my iPhone. It is all apps.

But your point about less well off students is true, Apple has a market there if it goes cheaper.
  • Reply 48 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Or they wont let the software hamper a hardware release and release the IP5 with 4.3.5, or some such.
  • Reply 49 of 74
    Quote:

Although an Apple user myself, I am surprised that Apple fan bois, as in those will be buy Apple simply because it is Apple, tend to stick their heads in the sand.

This week, Samsung launched what is without any doubt the most useful and imaginative mobile phone ever, the Galaxy Note. Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

If iPhone 5 is simply a tool to bleed users of cash in return for apps or NFC purchased lattés, then it may not sell as well as less expensive yet more versatile Android offerings.

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

Apple, are you listening?

END

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful? Samsung launched the greatest thing since sliced bread: a stylus operated slice of bread. Android is so versatile, it can even be locked into Bing search and still be called Android. Times are hard and homeless people can now think and create their way off the streets by writing "need money for booze" on their Samsung galaxy note. Only a stylus operated device offers this. Apple, are you listening to my opinion?"
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful? Samsung launched the greatest thing since sliced bread: a stylus operated slice of bread. Android is so versatile, it can even be locked into Bing search and still be called Android. Times are hard and homeless people can now think and create their way off the streets by writing "need money for booze" on their Samsung galaxy note. Only a stylus operated device offers this. Apple, are you listening to my opinion?"

That was a smarter correction of his thought processes.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I'm not, the Samsung Galaxy Note has a 5.3" display, and having used a 5" Dell Streak, that screen size is almost the ideal. Perfect for reading eBooks, fits in the pocket, allows you to share content in the same way the iPad makes possible, easier to type on on screen keyboard in portrait orientation. Etc.

I find your enthusiasm for this device mystifying. It's the very definition of the unwieldy tweener-- one that manages to be too big for reasonable phone duties but much too small for tablet functionality. My guess is the only reason it exists at all is that Samsung seems hell bent on making every possible size of Galaxy, following in the doomed footsteps of Sony in the assumption that relentless iteration and a vast array of "choices" somehow equals innovation.

Quote:

Apple are not innovating quickly enough - we have to wait many years for each iteration and this will hit them i 2012 unless they listen to the other 90% of the market. Stylus devices have not failed - the Sony Ericsson P9XX series phones were superb, and only killed off because SE lost the ball for a while. (And were saved by Android.)

This is more than mystifying, it seems the product of an alternate universe. "The other 90% of the market"? What? Stylus devices have not failed? Because you also had an inexplicable affection for one of the very poorly selling Sony Ericsson handsets?

Quote:

Prior to that, the Palm and Handspring devices were superb and very popular.

And were entirely eclipsed by the iPhone (and follow ons slavishly following the iPhone template). As in styli were soundly refuted, despite some people at the time claiming that touch only interfaces were limited.

Quote:

iPhone is ONLY popular for ONE reason - iTunes. It allowed people to take their music with them, without needing two devices.

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Enthusiasm is one thing, gibberish is another. I have no problem if you personally think a 5.3" handset with a stylus is the next big thing, but doing this much violence to recent history to support your idea is foolish.
  • Reply 52 of 74
    Quote:

Man, that's EXACTLY what I heard, except I'm actually out on a street corner with my iPad held up: "Need money for booze" -- but the dang spell check wrote it: "Need Monty for Biz." Not sure who Monty is....
  • Reply 53 of 74
    Quote:

Unlike iOS devices, that no matter what anyone says, are useless for content creation of creative 'on the fly' notes, sketches etc, a stylus operated device is naturally intuitive.

Seems to me that you don't actually use your iOS stuff for anything more than a fancy iPod or you would know how erroneous your comment is. First because there's a lot of creation you can do even on an iPhone and you can use a stylus if you want. You just aren't forced to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I think we can safely predict this will be a *hit*. How could manufacturing not have started already?

This is a rumor which means that perhaps it is right, perhaps it is wrong. Perhaps the device their source saw was in fact an iPod touch.

that said, Apple doesn't usually stockpile phones for weeks and weeks cause of the security issues. Yes this can result in running out but it is the safer way to go and it's not like folks won't wait (although they really sure go back to the reservation system they had for previous stuff that they dropped for the iPad 2 launch, make it clear in the press that there's no walk-ins for the foreseeable future etc)

They could be finalizing iOS 5 as we speak and the devices will be loaded starting Monday AM in China (they don't have a holiday after all). Tuesday or Wednesday there will be a press release about an event next week and Tim and Steve will show off the new phone and announce that reservations will start at 12.01AM that 'night' for a launch the next tuesday. its Apple so they don't have to stick to the whole Thursday/Friday/Saturday for all first day stuff if they don't want to.

What Best Buy is leaking out is the release of the phones in late October cause there's a new fixture coming could be the release of the new iPods, which would be timed to kick off Apple's "holiday" season

Quote:

But my original point was that the new Samsung Galaxy Note was/is probably the ultimate phone and Apple need to answer back.

No Apple doesn't need to do anything cause in your opinion they should. In fact, Apple has done quite well with not 'answering back' what others do and following their own path.

You said 'in six months', well lets see what has happened in six months. We'll see if your precious Samsung stuff is flying off the shelves or if its the iPhone 5 that is busting records. By then we could have another iPad to kill your Tabs and what not, lets see how that shakes out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Finally, the Samsung Galaxy Note is not an innovative product. It is copying from Microsoft's stylus based note taking phones.

So Apple's not the only victim. Why am I not surprised.

Quote:

To bad that Apple is selling its phones outside USA. When will iCloud be rolled out outside USA and Canada?

Don't confuse iCloud with the whole iTunes thing. One is restricted by licensing with the record labels and studios the other is not.

Quote:

AT&T have problem with bandwidth today, how will it be with millions of iCloud devices?

Probably won't be that big a deal given that the phones and iPads all have wifi as well and the software wants to use wifi first when it can. That works for a lot of folks. Hell easily half the iPads don't even have 3g of any kind.

And remember that a decent quarter of those iCloud devices are on Verizon. Probably another 1/10th of the total are iPod touches which are also wifi only

Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncore View Post

Cmon, you cant be serious with this one. I do like apple but the antenna system in iPhone 4 is Apple's EPIC FAIL!

Sucks for you that you get shitty reception but the numbers don't add up to EPIC FAIL on the antenna. Because an EF means that a majority to every single devices has the same issue and that wasn't the case with the iPhone 4. The death grip was basically non existent outside of the US and even the barely existent US folks were almost all in areas where ATT sucks no matter what. Even the Consumer Reports review mentioned that the alleged 'death grip' really wasn't an issue unless your ATT in general blows (but the blogs loved to drop that part when they did quotes from the article)

Quote:

Here's what I heard you say: "why aren't you apple fanboys like me and think an iPhone is supposed to replace a notepad and a pen to be really useful?

He's right. if it can't replace a notepad and a pen then it is junk.

good thing that the iPhone/ipad can be used with a stylus, both come with a built in digital notepad. Plus you can get free apps like Bump to trade your digital 'business card' with other iOS users or just type in the deets for the other folks (including a handy photo so you can remember who S Newton is out of the 100 folks you met at the Widget Conference).

and so on.

So by his standards, the iphone/ipad are not junk
  • Reply 54 of 74
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I have heard of other folks that have had software issues as well. Some of them were jailbroken some not. So you could try doing a restore and a fresh rebuild and see if that fixes it. if it doesn't you can always restore the backup you'll of course do right before the restore to get it back to where it was.

My dev phone seems okay with the latest version of iOS5 but sod's law it'll start playing up now I've said that Never had a problem on my iPad 2. I don't use multitasking very much on any device. Can't say whether iOS5 is ready yet because I suspect there may be some features not being enabled, which given the sieve like leakiness of the developer programme is likely.

Back to the iPhone5. I'm in two minds about the screen size. If they can make it bigger without changing the device size my more than a few mm I'm sold mainly for watching videos on the bigger screen. Perhaps they'll do this by using a gesture rather than the button which would be neat and enable a bigger screen too. That said I'm a sucker for Apple so no doubt it won't take me long to decide to order one. Probably at least 10 minutes into the Keynote

Reality is no-one outside Apple knows but I love the build up to an Apple launch, it's speculation central
  • Reply 55 of 74
    charlituna- I am from Slovakia, no the US. Antena is not just my local issue. My friend from Luxembourg has the same shi..y reception when she is at home. All she can say is that since she has bought iPhone 4 (3GS was her previous phone with excelent reception) her home is so quiet... nobody can reach her... there is no signal.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

No.

This year's handset will be called the iPhone 5. Why? Because Steve Jobs likes simplicity.

Apple will announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

Explain the 3GS then?

Also, Apple, unlike their competitors don't need to rush out new hardware as their iPhone has a much longer shelf life. They use iOS to push new features on existing hardware rather than releasing a new phone every quarter.
  • Reply 57 of 74
    My wish list:

1) Larger display (4" same resolution). I could see them coming out with 2 sizes.

2) A5

3) More RAM

4) Longer battery life

5) Better home button (integrated swipe)

6) Universal (with no lock-in, just carrier contracts)

7) Infrared port (this is a *wish* list)

8) RFID

I don't care about LTE (yet).
  • Reply 58 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Explain the 3GS then?

Also, Apple, unlike their competitors don't need to rush out new hardware as their iPhone has a much longer shelf life. They use iOS to push new features on existing hardware rather than releasing a new phone every quarter.

The 3GS was simple in it's own right. It was a '3G' device, it was speedier than the previous model simply named iPhone 3G and it was the 3rd generation iPhone.

The iPhone 3G made sense since '3G' was a marketing point despite it only being Apple 2nd ge ration iPhone.

The question is what wil Apple do to make the best name for their 5th generation iPhone? Assuming they use the same general design and it has no LTE or HSPA+, aka '4G', then think iPhone 4S sounds reasonable with iPhone 4G arriving next year if they keep the Sam general design again. That sounds simplest to me but that depends on what they have in the pipeline so any guesses have to be weighted with assumptions about future tech.
  • Reply 59 of 74
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so any of the developers have a problem with all these different screen sizes and resolutions?

does that mean iTouch5- Iphone 5 same size, then what with ipad2 and iphone4 (new or old one)

will there be a fragmentation issues with games, apps etc.???

will we have to pull an android, some apps work some don't

or will the ios make up the dif
  • Reply 60 of 74
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:

5.3" display? Because I want a phone that I have to put in my bag because it won't fit in my blazer.

Quote:

(Hence, you see less well off students on the train with Blackberry in one hand and iPod Touch in the other...)

Can't really wrong you on that. Except it's usually young students (below 16) that do this.

Quote:

A5 is not to hot for the iPhone even if its processed in 40nm. Other ARM manufactures have dual core ARMS 1.2-1.5ghz at the same power envelope that Apple uses.

A5 will work in the iPhone 5, it doesn't have to be identical to the current one. The iPad 2 A5 is 45nm, the iPhone one could easily be 40nm.

Quote:

iCloud (excluding iTuned Match) works fine in the UK and throughout the rest of Europe.

My personal wish list for the iPhone 5 is:
    • 3.7" screen (only slightly bigger then the current one)

• 1-1.2ghz dual-core Apple A5 (40nm)

• 1GB RAM

• PowerVR SGX543

• 8MP back camera

• GSM/CDMA

• 2MP front camera

• Slimmer form factor