Apple manufacturers reportedly assembling iPhone 5 ahead of October launch

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

so any of the developers have a problem with all these different screen sizes and resolutions?

does that mean iTouch5- Iphone 5 same size, then what with ipad2 and iphone4 (new or old one)

will there be a fragmentation issues with games, apps etc.???

will we have to pull an android, some apps work some don't

or will the ios make up the dif

Nope, all will be good as long as they don't introduce a new resolution (at least not right away).

The iPhone 4 with it's retina display is twice the resolution of the previous iPhones. This means that the apps written prior to the iPhone 4 will just work with the iPhone 4, but the graphics won't look as sharp...they still look really good though. To upgrade an app to take advantage of the iPhone 4, all developers need to do is great 2x images. In some cases, this is really very easy. Where it was more difficult was when images needed to be rendering in the app itself as opposed to just displaying image resource files. This is why some apps (games for example) took a while to be upgraded to "HD", but the old apps still ran just fine.

If Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone, as long as the keep the resolution the same, developers would need to do nothing.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Nope, all will be good as long as they don't introduce a new resolution (at least not right away).

The iPhone 4 with it's retina display is twice the resolution of the previous iPhones. This means that the apps written prior to the iPhone 4 will just work with the iPhone 4, but the graphics won't look as sharp...they still look really good though. To upgrade an app to take advantage of the iPhone 4, all developers need to do is great 2x images. In some cases, this is really very easy. Where it was more difficult was when images needed to be rendering in the app itself as opposed to just displaying image resource files. This is why some apps (games for example) took a while to be upgraded to "HD", but the old apps still ran just fine.

If Apple comes out with a 4" iPhone, as long as the keep the resolution the same, developers would need to do nothing.

wow, thanks for the insight

also, all this talk of two NEW iphones coming out,

what about this

keep old iphone 4 turn on the gsm with cdma (its capable)

iphone 5

iPhone 4C for china/ india only-- they have enough subscribers to make a "unique to market" phone
  • Reply 63 of 74
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Would need to do nothing, but the items will be larger because the pixels will be larger. Therefor Apple will optimize the larger display and release an updated SDK that will optimize for the larger display.
  • Reply 64 of 74
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uncore View Post

charlituna- I am from Slovakia, no the US. Antena is not just my local issue.

Really? I visit and travel around Slovakia quite regularly and I have no reception issues there whatsoever, reception is much better than in London England. I was most impressed to have reception in the High Tatra mountains but also within Bratislava. I've not had problems with any of the three networks whilst roaming.

I find it hard to believe you have problems with reception, maybe you have a faulty phone.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Quote:

charlituna- I am from Slovakia, no the US. Antena is not just my local issue. My friend from Luxembourg has the same shi..y reception when she is at home. All she can say is that since she has bought iPhone 4 (3GS was her previous phone with excelent reception) her home is so quiet... nobody can reach her... there is no signal.

I call BS on that, the supposed antenna problem is called 'death grip' for a reason: you have to grip the phone to do anything to the signal. Does your friend run around the house holding her phone all the time or what? Even if you are 100% convinced the death grip is real, every test, including those that concluded the death grip exists, have also shown that the iPhone 4 antenna performs better at low signal strength and holds calls longer than the 3GS, unless you grip it.

Also, if the closest person you know that has reception issues with her iPhone 4 is in Luxembourg, the problem isn't exactly widespread right? That's 1300 km from Slovakia
  • Reply 66 of 74
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Quote:

There is a difference between resolution and pixel count. The iPhone 4 has twice the resolution AND twice the pixel dimensions (4x total count) ONLY because the screen is the same size. If you make the screen larger then you need to either decrease the resolution in order to keep the pixel count the same (and loose a little clarity) or increase the pixel count but loose easy scalability.

Built in software can handle the scalability automagically, but some clarity would be lost.

These are all the trade offs that need to be weighed in changing the screen size. If they increase screen size but keep the pixel count the same, they will have trouble calling it a Retina display!

With a new pixel dimension:

I don't think CGIs would be affected if they query the system for resolution prior to rendering, nor would any vector graphics. Bit mapped graphics would have to be re-rendered by the system (costing time and battery power) or redone by the app developers.

Please correct me if my analysis has missed something.
  • Reply 67 of 74
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

These are all the trade offs that need to be weighed in changing the screen size. If they increase screen size but keep the pixel count the same, they will have trouble calling it a Retina display!

It's a marketing term. They can call it a retina display. Its not a technical term.

What they probably will do is say nothing about the pixel density, and just make the screen bigger.
  • Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. My day one bought 3GS sells on eBay this evening.

i, too, have a 3GS that i purchased in june 2009. presumably, iOS 5 runs fine on the 3GS so my next iPhone upgrade will be whatever comes after the reported iPhone 5 due for launch soon.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Lets see:

Siri voice integration

Sensible notifications

iCloud integration

Improved camera sensor

Better processor

Larger capacity

Larger display

Thinner form factor

If you collate all the rumours this update sounds almost too comprehensive for an Apple update. A response to the Android marketshare perhaps? Of those points I can most likely see them opting out of ?larger capacity? - though I would like to see a 128GB model so it can truly become the one device to rule them all.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Lets see:

Siri voice integration

Sensible notifications

iCloud integration

These are iOS5 features not specific to a new model (perhaps the first one may be limited to new models?)

Quote:

Improved camera sensor

Better processor

Larger capacity

Larger display

Thinner form factor

Surprised improved battery life isn't on your list? It's top of mine!

Ref memory how many people really need more than 64 never mind 128? I have a 32 and never fill it up because of the way I manage playlists, podcasts etc. Extra memory just adds a lot to the cost and I'd prefer focus elsewhere. Just my personal preference.
  • Reply 71 of 74
    Quote:

Lets see:

Siri voice integration

Sensible notifications

iCloud integration

Improved camera sensor

Better processor

Larger capacity

Larger display

Thinner form factor

If you collate all the rumours this update sounds almost too comprehensive for an Apple update. A response to the Android marketshare perhaps? Of those points I can most likely see them opting out of ?larger capacity? - though I would like to see a 128GB model so it can truly become the one device to rule them all.

Except for the Siri voice integration (which I didn't even know about) and the iCloud integration (which is a whole new way of using cloud services incomparable to Google, Amazon or Microsoft), which of the stuff you listed actually surprises you? All iPhones to date have had improvements to all of these, the notification system is simply a long overdue iOS improvement like we've seen dozens of in each iOS release. If Apple was really feeling the Android heat they wouldn't wait a full 15 months before updating the iPhone.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

Really? I visit and travel around Slovakia quite regularly and I have no reception issues there whatsoever, reception is much better than in London England. I was most impressed to have reception in the High Tatra mountains but also within Bratislava. I've not had problems with any of the three networks whilst roaming.

I find it hard to believe you have problems with reception, maybe you have a faulty phone.

I agree. I roam a lot with my iPhone4 - Asia, Europe, Middle East, US.

Only places that stand out as problems for reception are US and India. Tends to indicate its service provider related not phone. Although compared to my BlackBerry 9700 the iPhone4 has a poorer signal. My experience only, other experiences may occur
  • Reply 73 of 74
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Cmon, you cant be serious with this one. I do like apple but the antenna system in iPhone 4 is Apple's EPIC FAIL! I can replicate antenna problem whenever I want. In addition, I do not have signal in my house while my old iPhone 3G gets 3 bars. Stop bulls....g about the great antenna, because it is not. That is a fact which even Steve Jobs proved by providing free bumpers.

OK, we heard you, now you can crawl back under your rock.
  • Reply 74 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oflife View Post

Times are hard, and people want to think and create themselves out of austerity. Only a stylus operated device offers this.

END

A stylus operated device is going to change a person's economic situation? That is probably the most unique statement I've read on AI in quite awhile.