Apple's legal effort to bar Samsung tablets, smartphones extends to Japan

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's legal challenges against Samsung, which have succeeded in barring sales of its Galaxy Tab and Galaxy smartphones in some countries, have extended to Japan with another lawsuit.



Apple has filed a lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court, asking the government to bar sales of the Galaxy S, Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab 7 in Japan, according to Reuters. The first hearing on the case was held on Wednesday, a source reportedly said.



Samsung fired the first salvo in Japan, suing Apple in April. The iPhone maker reportedly responded with a countersuit that was filed on Aug. 23, in which it seeks 100 million yen, or $1.3 million, in damages in addition to the bans.



The news comes as Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, which is apparently not included in the latest suit, launched in Japan with carrier NTT Docomo. The president of the carrier told reporters that he was told by Samsung that they were able to proceed with sales of the touchscreen tablet.



Earlier this week, the Galaxy Tab 7.7 was pulled from a German trade show floor after a court injunction forced Samsung to cease promoting its newly unveiled tablet. It was yet another legal victory for Apple, which has proved successful in a number of legal challenges against Samsung.



Last month, the regional court of Dusseldorf banned the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in germany for alleged patent violation. Apple has asserted that it, along with other Galaxy Tab and Galaxy smartphone devices, infringe on patents it owns related to the iPad and iPhone.







In late August, a Netherlands judge blocked sales of Samsung's Galaxy smartphones in Europe, while the company has also been forced to delay the launch of its Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia after a court there barred its sale.



Apple has accused Samsung of copying the look and feel of its highly successful iPad and iPhone devices, and has even gone as far in court filings to refer to Samsung as "the copyist." Samsung has returned fire as well, accusing Apple of violating several patents it owns related to power consumption and 3G data transmission with mobile devices.
«134

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member
    This particular suit is a bit more important to Apple IMO. The single best selling smartphone there is NOT the iPhone, but Samsung's Galaxy II.



    Apple's moving as fast as possible to nip the success of Samsung's Galaxy II in the bud. Sad to see it's thru legal actions rather than delivering a equal/superior product at an equivalent/better price and letting the consumer choose the winner.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    sennensennen Posts: 1,465member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Sad to see it's thru legal actions rather than delivering a equal/superior product at an equivalent/better price and letting the consumer choose the winner.



    What is truly sad is that you actually believe that.
  • Reply 3 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    What is truly sad is that you actually believe that.



    . . . and I do. Sincerely.
  • Reply 4 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post


    What is truly sad is that you actually believe that.



    So? The Galaxy SII is an excellent product, no wonder it's selling so well. I just hope Apple will release the iPhone 5 soon, I am bored with these lawsuit news.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    This particular suit is a bit more important to Apple IMO. The single best selling smartphone there is NOT the iPhone, but Samsung's Galaxy II.



    Apple's moving as fast as possible to nip the success of Samsung's Galaxy II in the bud. Sad to see it's thru legal actions rather than delivering a equal/superior product at an equivalent/better price and letting the consumer choose the winner.



    So you condone theft. What wondrous morals you have.



    I find that people who think like you, have generally never had a single unique thought in their life.
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    So you condone theft. What wondrous morals you have.



    I find that people who think like you, have generally never had a single unique thought in their life.



    What theft?
  • Reply 7 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    So you condone theft. What wondrous morals you have.



    I find that people who think like you, have generally never had a single unique thought in their life.



    I don't see the Galaxy SII as an iPhone clone, and IMHO it would never be mistaken for one when a consumer goes to purchase.



    The Samsung device is a significant upgrade in hardware and capabilities to Apple's current product, running an OS with different features and capabilities, on a much larger screen more suited to web-browsing and media consumption than Apple's offering. Sorry, but I don't see the Galaxy II as an iPhone copy. If you hold the two side-by-side yourself I don't think you will either.
  • Reply 8 of 79
    Always nice to see a company litigate itself to success



    /sarcasm off
  • Reply 9 of 79
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post




    The Samsung device is a significant upgrade in hardware and capabilities to Apple's current product, running an OS with different features and capabilities, on a much larger screen more suited to web-browsing and media consumption than Apple's offering. Sorry, but I don't see the Galaxy II as an iPhone copy. If you hold the two side-by-side yourself I don't think you will either.






    The only reason anybody would buy one is because they are too poor to buy an iPhone, so they hate Apple because of it.
  • Reply 10 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post


    So you condone theft. What wondrous morals you have.



    I find that people who think like you, have generally never had a single unique thought in their life.



    The use of personal insults typically signals someone who is in over their depth. Something to keep in mind.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    The only reason anybody would buy one is because they are too poor to buy an iPhone, so they hate Apple because of it.



    Or maybe they just want what's arguably the best smartphone on the planet.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post


    The use of personal insults typically signals someone who is in over their depth. Something to keep in mind.



    If that's the case, reducing people to "out of their depth" in a conversation, then you sir, are out of yours.



    Samsung has copied Apple, not only in the phone arena, but in the laptop - mobile device arena as well.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,278member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    The only reason anybody would buy one is because they are too poor to buy an iPhone, so they hate Apple because of it.



    Certainly can't rule out price as an issue. Surely you're not implying that if someone feels they can't afford an iPhone (or iPad) they're not entitled to a smartphone/slate/tablet they can afford?



    FWIW tho, in most of the markets I've seen (generally Europe), Samsung's Galaxy II and Apple's iPhone are similarly priced.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    The only reason anybody would buy one is because they are too poor to buy an iPhone, so they hate Apple because of it.



    Sure
  • Reply 15 of 79
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Can somebody explain why Apple is not suing Google over Android? An injunction against Android would put all the manufacturers out of the business. Seems like suing all these manufacturers all over the world is too cumbersome. Just take out the source.



    TIA
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post


    The only reason anybody would buy one is because they are too poor to buy an iPhone, so they hate Apple because of it.



    That is an ignorant comment. There are some people that iPhones just don't work for. Those serious tweakers, some who embrace choice, and some just have issues with how Apple operates. It's not a matter of being too poor, just some people don't like iPhones. Just like you may not like Audi cars and prefer another brand. It just doesn't work for some people.
  • Reply 17 of 79
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,428member
    With everybody suing everybody, it's difficult to keep track, but Apple is clearly winning so far!



    A bunch of companies are suing Apple and what's Apple lost so far? Are iPhones and iPads being banned and pulled from the shelves?



    Samsung has already taken a few hits and punches to the body with some of their product being pulled from stores in different countries located on different continents.



    Here's a clue for Samsung, try to innovate, don't imitate!
  • Reply 18 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    "Look and feel" might be hard to prove but we shouldn't be discounted as a way of stealing from your competitor as shown from this quote from Coming to America (1988).
    Cleo McDowell: Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post


    Or maybe they just want what's arguably the best smartphone on the planet.



    Said the troll.



    Seriously. The same people always post the same biased crap whenever we get a story like this. "Gatorguy" and "Youarewrong" only exist to troll the boards making contrary posts based on their hatred of Apple, yadda yadda yadda.



    What's boring isn't the lawsuit it's the troll comments that always seem to follow.
  • Reply 20 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    Said the troll.



    Seriously. The same people always post the same biased crap whenever we get a story like this. "Gatorguy" and "Youarewrong" only exist to troll the boards making contrary posts based on their hatred of Apple, yadda yadda yadda.



    What's boring isn't the lawsuit it's the troll comments that always seem to follow.



    Even though I rarely agree with his position Gatorguy has well thought out arguments that keep him from being in the one-liner troll category.
Sign In or Register to comment.