Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

Comments

• Reply 141 of 179
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And don't get me started on pen tile.

The newer SuperAmoled Plus displays, such as those on the Galaxy SII series, don't use PenTile.
  • Reply 142 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

sigh.

have you ever actually worn out your home button? know anybody whose home button got worn out by excessive clicking?

mine stopped working (mostly on double clicks), genius bar replaced it.
  • Reply 143 of 179
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    My suspicion is this is the iPhone 4S. How soon we forget the Chinese cases for the larger screens. A build of 30m is astonishing, if so, as there would be an iPhone 5 as well in this scenario and the 3GS and IP4 would not be discontinued.
  • Reply 144 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

With Safari on my Mac using upward of 600MB right now, usually peaking at 1GB, I think you need more RAM on the iPhone. Even 1GB is barely enough.

And iMovie for Mac OS uses more than iMovie on iPhone iOS. Did you have a point to make besides saying that apps with with the same name should be given the same amount RAM regardless of what OS they run on?
  • Reply 145 of 179
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XeneX View Post

Gee, I guess NOTHING about Android phones is better and EVERYTHING about Apple phones is better. Very compelling.

I have a friend with a Samsung Galaxy S II (it's been out for awhile in the UK) and my experience with it was that the display is beautiful, the build quality is good - it's plastic but it seems fairly robust - although not as good as the iPhone 4 (which really sets the bar high in terms of build quality), but Android feels as sluggish and unfinished as it does on every other phone. The faster processors aren't really helping. Android's problem is that it has no GPU acceleration. Honeycomb only added limited GPU acceleration in the animation API. You still notice the lag while scrolling, swiping, etc. The Samsung UI is also fantastically ugly. There still aren't any games on Android that take advantage of the hardware (in my experience the typical Android game looks like a 3GS-era iOS game) and really the only reason to get a high-end Android phone is for games since, as I said, the OS doesn't have GPU acceleration so those dual GPU cores are just going to waste the rest of the time.

If you can live with Android though (and obviously for a lot of people it's "good enough"), it's a great phone. That big display really is stunning.
  • Reply 146 of 179
    LAck of GPU acceleration is Androids Achilles heal.
  • Reply 147 of 179
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

LAck of GPU acceleration is Androids Achilles heal.

Last I read they were going to take care of that soon.
  • Reply 148 of 179
    I don't see a VM which is supposed to be agnostic on underlying hardware can do this. The drivers need to be written for each GPU.
  • Reply 149 of 179
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Last I read they were going to take care of that soon.

Well, Honeycomb was supposed to be the "GPU accelerated" Android because it added a new API for animation, but the rest of the UI is still sluggish. I think "Ice Cream Sandwich" just brings those Honeycomb features to phones. Personally if I was interested in an Android phone, I'd wait for Ice Cream Sandwich and see what that brings before buying. You can't really rely on timely updates with Android and with every update Google seems to promise more than it delivers.
  • Reply 150 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Why? Because your employer is the sole supplier?

Yup the sole supplier! You are special, very special!
  • Reply 151 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Subjective, not objective.

HDTV makers have found that people who walk into a Best Buy or Costco judge TVs with brighter colors and screens to be "better" subjectively, so they have a demo mode that basically jacks up the brightness and color saturation for the showroom floor to unnatural levels so your competitors' TV will look duller, even though they may have more accurate color reproduction. The Samsung AMOLED phone screens have always struck me as "gorgeous" in the same sense: because they are overly saturated and contrasty. And don't get me started on pen tile.

I'm not saying that I detected this in the screen, but this characteristic would be ideal in the environments where and how phones are typically used.
  • Reply 152 of 179
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdjlexky View Post

The home button (the only button on the stinking phone) only works intermittently and it's quite frustrating because I love my iPhone otherwise. I will probably fork over $200 for another one because no other phones are any better, but I would really love it if Apple found another way to get to the home screen without using this damned button.

This comment by me is genuine: what solution would you suggest?
  • Reply 153 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AceCenturion View Post

If they really do refresh the 4 with a 4S and also release a 5, that would explain all the mixes messages we are getting.

I believe the redesigned 4 will be the 4S and will have adge-to-edge glass, a redesigned antenna, an 8MP camera with flash, and an impoved screen in general, an A5 chip and perhaps improved battery life and a world phone. This will be the high-end iPhone.

And the additinal fully new iPhone 5 will match more closely the iPod touch's specs with perhaps a 2 or 3 MP camera as opposed to a 0.7 MP one. And perhaps a world phone also. This will be the cheaper contract free iPhone and Apple which will replace the iPod touch.

I could be wrong, but that's my prediction of how it may pan out.
  • Reply 154 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

The iPhone 4 has the best reception of any phone anywhere. But now Apple will make it even better.

Lol..
  • Reply 155 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

You don't have a power button on yours? Or volume buttons?

He means the only button on th front.
  • Reply 156 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

I like the current design... it is not made of cheap plastic. The Gorilla glass.

It's not Gorila Glass. That's a Trademark of a very specific product make by Corning Incorporated. A company Apple has no dealings with.
  • Reply 157 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Only 512MB, that is disappointing.

The iPhone 5, not the 4S ; )
  • Reply 158 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Because there is a MUCH lower chance of a touch button failing over time versus a mechanical button.

You are right, but that doesn't make it a better design. What about accidental touches? What about user control? A touch home button makes sense in some respects, but not on many fronts. I think the solution is to to keep the home button physical, but redesign and better engineer it. It needs to be a much higher quality physical button. Some joy sticks back in the day had buttons that would last forever.
  • Reply 159 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

The iPhone 5 has a new form factor

The iPhone 5 looks the same as the iPhone 4

The iPhone 5 has a new form factor.

The iPhone 4S looks the same as the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 160 of 179
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I dunno - I HATE the lack of a physical button when I set up an Android phone for clients. It just seems like it is not as responsive. Of course that could be just the general Android sluggishness. I'd definitely want some shape to the button, to help with the ability to operate the phone without looking at it.

Are you trying to imply that Android based phones don't have physical buttons?