Apple set to build 30M iPhone 5 units with 512MB RAM, improved antenna

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ivabign View Post

If the replacement for the iphone4 is to be the 4S... Then maybe we are looking at LTE. That would be one way of hitting the ball out of the park without changing the appearance of the phone. Ad please don't get me wrong... I LOVE my 4. It is a beautiful combination of design and function. I just cannot believe that Apple would wait 16 months to deliver a speed bump.... LTE might be the answer.

No LTE. Some people live in the boonies and can't get it yet, so Apple isn't going to include it.
  • Reply 162 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XeneX View Post

Finally, within the next few weeks it will becom clear and having waited for so long, it will either be excitement or anger- no in between.

Naw. Generally what happens is that Apple leaves out certain much-anticipated stuff on each new iteration, and the fans explain why it is better without. Then rumors and anticipation build for the next hardware or software release, only to have the same dynamic replay.

Remember NFC? That was a slam dunk for the i4. Never happened.
  • Reply 163 of 179
    Small tidbit of third or fourth hand info... an IT person in our company was told or at least heard a Verizon Wireless exec state the lack of world-phone capability in the VZW iPhone will no longer be a problem. If that turns out true, it's certainly good news for those of us Verizon Wireless customers who travel outside the USA and are stuck with a BlackBerry (or some other smartphone) for their GSM radio -- but would much rather have an iPhone for work.
  • Reply 164 of 179
    4S, not 5.

If it looks exactly the same as the 4, they won't go with 5. It seems it just has faster improvements. So 4S.
  • Reply 165 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

No LTE. Some people live in the boonies and can't get it yet, so Apple isn't going to include it.

And some people live in large cities and can't get it. And some people live in entire countries that don't have it yet?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

4S, not 5.

\
  • Reply 166 of 179
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Jaysus we are all in for a Big Disappointment. I've seen the iPhone 5. I have one.

Its the same RAM, Chip and camera with a slightly different and crooked antenna, and a gash in the front screen. The home button sticks.

I bought it of a friend for $1000, he needed the money to fund buying an old version ( iPhone 4) he dropped recently.

Very disappointed.
  • Reply 167 of 179
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alex.sebenski View Post

I want a way to quick switch apps like the iPad and the 4/5 finger gestures.

Am I missing something here? I never knew about this. What is this magic we have here?
  • Reply 168 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Am I missing something here? I never knew about this. What is this magic we have here?

You can turn it on if you have Xcode.

And once you use it? you will NEVER EVER go back to the old way or feel that the old way should ever be used again.

Four fingers swipe up brings up the multitasking bar. No more double-clicking Home.

Five finger pinch in takes you back to the Springboard. No more single-clicking Home.

Four finger swipe left and right moves you between applications. No more need for the multitasking bar.

These gestures were the reason for the first rumors we heard that the Home Button might be going away entirely (which is a idealistic yet fanciful idea that was quickly dismissed; we always need a hardware 'out').
  • Reply 169 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darthraige View Post

4S, not 5.

If it looks exactly the same as the 4, they won't go with 5. It seems it just has faster improvements. So 4S.

I suspect that if its the same form factor as the 4, it will have LTE. Most subscribers enter into two year contracts. Not having LTE for two years is a long time as it is expected to be widely available within 12 months. Add to that iCloud bandwidth demands and LTE becomes even more important.

The more I think about it, this release may be more about iCloud than anything else. If so, Apple will be focusing on the user experience, as it always has, with iCloud and I can not imaging the difference in the user experience of iCloud with and without LTE.
  • Reply 170 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by XeneX View Post

Add to that iCloud bandwidth demands and LTE becomes even more important.

Why does having a faster connection help in any way at all? Particularly when you can't use more than 2GB anyway and will only use it faster?
  • Reply 171 of 179
    Well Apple should know what they need to do to stay on top. To many Droid phone coming out with 2xcore phone with 1gig memory and other better specs, and with then working on the newer 4xcore.

Apple needs the WOW factor on the iPhone 5 there running behind spec's wise. if they were able to work out the heating issues with the A6 chip? Throw the A6 chip in there and 1 gig memory along with the better camera and LTE ready? (wishful thinking) lol and 64gig of space? that would be the WOW for me and be ready to spend some money

For upgrading, you guys should look at your eligibility and see what it says? I got the iPhone 4 last year in Aug and ATT has me available for a upgrade
  • Reply 172 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by carvensno View Post

Apple needs the WOW factor on the iPhone 5 there running behind spec's wise.

No one gives a flying frick. Specs are next to meaningless. Are you kidding me?

Quote:

if they were able to work out the heating issues with the A6 chip?

There is no A6 chip?

Quote:

LTE ready

Apple is ready for LTE already. NO NETWORK ON THE PLANET IS. We're waiting for the telecoms at this point. Apple has nothing to do with it.

Just go buy a Droid if all you care about is spec whoring and not actual usability. \
  • Reply 173 of 179
    The only notable thing about this latest burst of non-information is the fact that Mr. Kuo has managed to get his name and doubtful word quoted far and wide. I'm afraid this not-so-vaunted "analyst" might join the ranks of the unemployed once his lack of insight into the otherwise unpenetrated world of Apple device development becomes glaringly obvious.
  • Reply 174 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYitGuy View Post

I'm afraid this not-so-vaunted "analyst" might join the ranks of the unemployed once his lack of insight into the otherwise unpenetrated world of Apple device development becomes glaringly obvious.

You're new to this world of rumors, aren't you?

Having the job title "tech analyst" is the equivalent of having the job title "I have infinite tenure that can never be revoked and allows me to have whatever I want prominently printed at any time by anyone".

No one gets fired. Analysts give lies. They get money. We get screwed because we have to keep a giant list of the ones who are completely untrustworthy (read: all but four), which becomes meaningless because new people (both analysts and readers thereof) come onto the scene at all times that we have to deal with (by adding to the list and telling about the list, respectively).
  • Reply 175 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're new to this world of rumors, aren't you?

How very insightful of you. You must be an analyst yourself.

A real one, I mean...
  • Reply 176 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The iPhone 5 has a new form factor.

The iPhone 4S looks the same as the iPhone 4.

Apple Inc. must have an amazing 5th generation phone in store for the expectant world. 16 months and no upgrade, I bet that all the boxes will be ticked.

8 mega pixels, 4" screen, A5 Chip, iOS 5 and big price tag!
  • Reply 177 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gold Master View Post

Apple Inc. must have an amazing 5th generation phone in store for the expectant world. 16 months and no upgrade, I bet that all the boxes will be ticked.

I think it will be all you said but will be the 299 for upgrade pricing..........
  • Reply 178 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Really? Why is a touch home button so important?

@Gustav

It turns out, the home button has been an issue on all models of the iPhone. (except maybe the original)

Dust, pocket link get under the Home button -- by way of the dock connector port. And then the home button begins to work intermittently. Being the only official button on the phone, this can be frustrating.

There is an SBSettings toggle, called "Close App" which I've been using as a substitute HOmE button.

Its' a major PITA to change out the $6 home button if it fails. You apparently have to get into the phone and remove the touch-screen which is behind the glass etc etc. Or pay $60+

it would be most excellent if Apple changed the design of the home button.
  • Reply 179 of 179
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gold Master View Post

Hope not, hope not, obviously, obviously, absolutely not; $199.