Apple wins right to "thinnest smartphone" and expands Samsung patent fight to UK

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,467member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    Well, your first video was just someone spouting Samsung's line that it is mostly thinner than the iPhone. The court looked at that and said that the "bump" was not inconsequential...



    This picture here is very interesting, but as it was only just launched and only in Japan, it has nothing to do with this court case...



    The iPhone is plainly not "the world's thinnest smartphone" if that's what Apple's claiming. That one doesn't even need to go to court.\



    Others that claim to be thinner include the LG Optimus Black and the Sony Experia Arc. I've held neither in my hand and compared, so going by press reports and images.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    The bulge is annoying, but overall the Samsung is thinner. I don't care really though, they get too hard to hold the thinner they become. The next iPhone will be even harder to hold when making a call.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The bulge is annoying, but overall the Samsung is thinner. I don't care really though, they get too hard to hold the thinner they become. The next iPhone will be even harder to hold when making a call.



    I think you need to study-up on your understanding of the word "overall" ? or just think about it for a minute: "over" and "ALL".



    For example, "Sarah Jessica Parker has beautiful legs and a very flat stomach, but overall, she looks like a freaking horse."



    Taken in parts, the Samsung is thinner, but overall, the iPhone is thinner.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    and I guess Apple has never stretched the truth in its marketing. The way they carried on about cut & paste, SMS, "Facetime" (video calling) etc you would think they invented them when in realty some of these features have been in phones since the nineties.



    Oh that's right, they were selling to the US where cellular is rather backward.
  • Reply 25 of 54
    am i reading this right? Apple has legal disputes with Samsung in North Korea?
  • Reply 26 of 54
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    The bulge is annoying, but overall the Samsung is thinner. I don't care really though, they get too hard to hold the thinner they become. The next iPhone will be even harder to hold when making a call.



    The two bulges, one around the camera and the other at the base.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    irelandireland Posts: 17,793member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    The two bulges, one around the camera and the other at the base.



    What-fucking-ever.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpiderPig View Post


    and I guess Apple has never stretched the truth in its marketing. The way they carried on about cut & paste, SMS, "Facetime" (video calling) etc you would think they invented them when in realty some of these features have been in phones since the nineties.



    Oh that's right, they were selling to the US where cellular is rather backward.



    However, there is arguably quite a difference between stretching the truth, such as misleading by suggestion or implication, which often hinges on interpretation, and making a specific claim that is demonstrably incorrect.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nimrod323 View Post


    am i reading this right? Apple has legal disputes with Samsung in North Korea?



    Seems legit. NK is a sovereign country.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    What-fucking-ever.



    My truck will fit under that bridge.



    (If you don't count the "bulges" of the wheels.)



    That-fucking-ever.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    they have to do something... Android is on fire in the EU



    http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events...atforms_in_EU5
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple won a minor marketing battle against Samsung in the UK as it expanded its larger, global patent war with Samsung into the UK courts as well.



    Apple's marketing of its 9.3mm iPhone 4 as the "world's thinnest smartphone" in the UK was challenged by Samsung after it released its Galaxy S II, with a body that is mostly 8.71mm thick.



    When the UK's Advertising Standards Authority stepped into arbitrate, it determined that Apple's device was indeed thinner, noting "that the Galaxy S II had prominent bulges at the top of the device," according to a report by the Guardian.



    The ASA further reported on its decision, "Apple said consumers would not be interested in the thinnest part of the device, but in its overall measurements, as these would, for example, affect whether the device could fit into a pocket or purse."



    The ASA added that it had sided with Apple "because the iPhone 4's thickest point was thinner than the thickest point of the Samsung Galaxy S II."



    Apple sues Samsung in the UK, its 20th jurisdiction to file suit in



    Meanwhile, Apple has separately filed suit against Samsung in the UK over patents, a case that according to Samsung was a countersuit to patent claims filed by Samsung in June the company told ZDNet.



    Apple and Samsung are also engaged in active patent battles in the US, Japan, North Korea, Germany, The Netherlands, the American ITC, Italy, France and Australia.



    They are going to court over who has the thinnest smartphone? Really? We don't have better things to use the court system for? I'm sorry but this is petty, stupid and very frivolous. I'm disappointed in Apple. They are being a bully here and IMO should back the heck off and go back to making products.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post


    They are going to court over who has the thinnest smartphone? Really? We don't have better things to use the court system for? I'm sorry but this is petty, stupid and very frivolous. I'm disappointed in Apple. They are being a bully here and IMO should back the heck off and go back to making products.



    At least according to this report, it was Samsung who challenged Apple over the thinness claim, not the other way around. The Advertising Standards Authority, which is not a court by the way, ruled against Samsung. I don't see how that can be interpreted as Apple being a bully.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post


    back the heck off



    Hypothetical: You've created something.



    I know, humorous, but bear with me.



    Someone else creates something similar, but worse. Yours is the superior product.



    Again, hypothetically.



    They take you to court claiming theirs is better. You'd just give up and let them lie to people?



    That's pathetic. And why you're not in business, sales, or product creation.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post


    At least according to this report, it was Samsung who challenged Apple over the thinness claim, not the other way around. The Advertising Standards Authority, which is not a court by the way, ruled against Samsung. I don't see how that can be interpreted as Apple being a bully.



    Ok, I stand corrected. Samsung is being the bully. I still think its stupid to go to court over it.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ericblr View Post


    Ok, I stand corrected. Samsung is being the bully. I still think its stupid to go to court over it.



    If Samsung thought that their phone was thinner, it was perfectly appropriate for them to complain to the ASA - happens all the time over advertising accuracy. They lost. No big deal, no legal process involved in that.



    The court issue appears to be an action by Apple continuing the patent battle between the two companies. Unrelated. Whether that has merit seems to be a matter of divided opinion.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    Does it really matter? Both Apple and Samsung have some pretty damn thin products, and I don't see any need for them to be thinner. Lighter tablets perhaps, but I don't know that thinner would be more comfortable or easier to use.



    Both the tablets and the phones need to be half again as thin and 2x less weight. Probably not possible, but you have to have ambition.



    So, 5 mm thin and something like 80 grams for the weight for the phones. The tablets, 5 mm and 300 grams. The 10" tablets are all too heavy at around 600 grams.



    So yeah, it matters. I think once people use it, they won't turn back.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    The iPhone is plainly not "the world's thinnest smartphone" if that's what Apple's claiming. That one doesn't even need to go to court.\



    Since the NEC device is Japan-only, for all intents and purposes, it is the thinnest smartphone in the markets that they advertise as such.



    If NEC finds it important to their branding, they should complain about it. I'd like them to actually, since yeah, they have the thinnest smartphone. I don't know if it would do anything as they don't sell the device outside of Japan.



    Quote:

    Others that claim to be thinner include the LG Optimus Black and the Sony Experia Arc. I've held neither in my hand and compared, so going by press reports and images.



    I don't think the Experia Arc is thinner as Sony is saying that is the thinness at the phone's thinnest part. It has a concave back, so the the top and bottoms may be thicker than the iPhone 4. Picture:







    The Optimus Black appears to have a slightly tapered back. They are quoting a 9.2 mm thickness. Apple quotes 9.3 mm. If LG is quoting the thin side, the iPhone 4 may still be thinner. Picture:







    I can do some rudimentary photogrammetry to see. But these are all renders. People have to be sanguine about this sort of stuff. The build tolerances on these things are probably +/-0.1 mm. There may individual handsets that are thinner and other thicker than their competitors, coming off the same assembly lines, let alone different ones. Even more confusing, the thickness on the individual phone itself may vary from place-to-place (ie, and iPhone 4 may be thicker on one end due to build tolerances).
  • Reply 39 of 54
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    My truck will fit under that bridge.



    (If you don't count the "bulges" of the wheels.)



    That-fucking-ever.



    This made me smile
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post


    What hump?







    OFF topic. I recently watched this film with my daughter and it was her first Mel Brooks movie. She was laughing and lost screaming hysterically through at lead half the movie. I had to hide blazing saddles from her, some things are just to complicated to explain to an 11 year old. Having moved to the south I would rather teach by example then explain old prejudice. Perhaps space balls would be a good one for our next family night.



    On Topic. Really that dubious of a claim is worth going to court?

    /Add your own Waabaulance joke here.
Sign In or Register to comment.