Apple wins right to "thinnest smartphone" and expands Samsung patent fight to UK

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

So my girlfriend's measurements (36-24-96) must also take her butt into account?

With hips that big can she turn around without nocking stuff off of counters, shelves, nearby continents?
  • Reply 42 of 54
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What hump?

Classic

• Reply 43 of 54
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

On Topic. Really that dubious of a claim is worth going to court?

/Add your own Waabaulance joke here.

Lying is still lying and wrongfull marketing should be sanctioned.

Actually it would be better that the consumer organisations would take false marketing to court. This is a clear case that Samsung would have lost anyway.

Well I think so Samsung usually lie about things like that. Remember the demo device galaxy tab that was supposed to be thinner than ipad2 but when compared side by side was thicker than the ipad2.

I think their ultrathin laptop has the same marketing problem.

If not it just ads an insult to Samsungs marketing scheme.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Woohoo! Finally us iBrits get a front row seat in the patent fight.

No we don't, patents don't feature, this is advertising standards, the ASA has ruled against Apple many times.

Who could forget the Power Mac G5 ads with Jeff Goldblum claiming the G5 was the world's most powerful personal computer, which the ASA banded because Athlon 64 based PCs ran rings around it.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    You mean like Apple changing the size and proportions of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to get it banned in Germany.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by habi View Post

Lying is still lying and wrongfull marketing should be sanctioned...

Are you talking about Samsung disagreeing with the designation/interpretation of "thinnest phone", which is far from lying, or Apple (and Samsung?) perhaps being misleading about now having the world's thinnest smartphone to begin with, since neither one does?
  • Reply 47 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fourthletter View Post

No we don't, patents don't feature, this is advertising standards, the ASA has ruled against Apple many times.

Who could forget the Power Mac G5 ads with Jeff Goldblum claiming the G5 was the world's most powerful personal computer, which the ASA banded because Athlon 64 based PCs ran rings around it.

The article is about two separate issues - the ASA ruling on the phone thickness complaint and a patent action brought in the UK courts against Samsung. So yes, you do get to see the patent fight.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Wilkie View Post

I think you need to study-up on your understanding of the word "overall" ? or just think about it for a minute: "over" and "ALL".

For example, "Sarah Jessica Parker has beautiful legs and a very flat stomach, but overall, she looks like a freaking horse."

Taken in parts, the Samsung is thinner, but overall, the iPhone is thinner.

I think you need to "study-up" , overall : covering or including everything: an overall impression; to view something overall.

~90% of the SGS2 is thinner than the iPhone. 10% is moderately thicker, so overall the SGS2 is thinner.

funny how Apple disagree with how things are measured when it suits them : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook...st.22_disputes
  • Reply 49 of 54
    With some experience watching these ads, I take something like "Worlds thinnest" to mean "It's pretty thin". "Worlds most powerful..." means If there is anything faster, its insignificant.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fourthletter View Post

You mean like Apple changing the size and proportions of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 to get it banned in Germany.

Thanks for pretending you know that that is the reason the Galaxy Tab was banned in Germany. I'm certain your plan to make crap up off the top of your head would have worked, unfortunately, the people here have intelligence quotients higher than that of peat moss, so this post only serves to make you look like a troll and to invalidate any future position you might take here.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenns View Post

funny how Apple disagree with how things are measured when it suits them : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook...st.22_disputes

I fail to see how this does anything but help our argument and hinder yours. Apple, a taperer, dropped their claim when another, a uniformer, was indeed thinner.

That's exactly what's going on here. Apple, a uniformer, is claiming against Samsung, a taperer.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thanks for pretending you know that that is the reason the Galaxy Tab was banned in Germany. I'm certain your plan to make crap up off the top of your head would have worked, unfortunately, the people here have intelligence quotients higher than that of peat moss, so this post only serves to make you look like a troll and to invalidate any future position you might take here.

AFAIK the Tab wasn't banned due to similarity with the existing iPad but rather due to similarity with a design patent for a product Apple never even created (as per the drawing).
  • Reply 52 of 54
    Quote:

I fail to see how this does anything but help our argument and hinder yours. Apple, a taperer, dropped their claim when another, a uniformer, was indeed thinner.

That's exactly what's going on here. Apple, a uniformer, is claiming against Samsung, a taperer.

My argument, your argument ? I'm not arguing anything, just stating a fact overall the sgs2 is thinner.

frankly I don't care, 0.5 mm is nothing compared to the size of a case you need wrapped around a phone to protect it, or in the iPhone 4 case to allow you to make calls without screwing up the antenna.

one thing for sure, neither of the devices mentioned is the "worlds thinnest smartphone" and therefore Apple should not be able to say it is, but hey, advertising is full of lies and the ASA are pretty much toothless.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glenns View Post

?case you need?

Except you don't.

Quote:

?screwing up the antenna?

Oh, you've been a troll all along, I get it now.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:

Except you don't.

Oh, you've been a troll all along, I get it now.

Sadly I've come to realize there are few Android fans who come here who you should pay attention to...most are trolls using the same tired old arguments.