ITC reviewing Apple patent victory over HTC

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I believe it is 20 years from the date granted so that would make the expiration date ... a problem for Android.

No need to rely on faith or hope or belief or memory:

In the United States, under current patent law, the term of patent, provided that maintenance fees are paid on time, are:

For applications filed on or after June 8, 1995,[1] the patent term is 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications).[2]

For applications that were pending on and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international (PCT) application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying.[3][4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_of..._United_States
  • Reply 22 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

According to Wikipedia,

"A double agent, commonly abbreviated referral of double secret agent, is a counterintelligence term used to designate an employee of a secret service or organization, whose primary aim is to spy on the target organization, but who in fact is a member of that same target organization oneself."

Schmidt, according to idiots, primarily aimed to spy on Apple (aka target organization). But he was indeed a *board* member of the target organization. Ergo, double agent! POW! Is English not your primary language?

But seriously, methinks that Wikipedia entry needs editing.

Yes, it does need editing, since what it describes is a 'mole', which is what Schmidt has been accused of being, and is not the same as a 'double agent'. You have to admit, he does resemble a mole.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    Those who can, do.

Those who can't, copy.

Do no evil.
  • Reply 24 of 102
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, copy.

Do no evil.

. . . Pray for world peace and feed the children too.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, copy.

Do no evil.

HTCs look like iPhones now?
  • Reply 26 of 102
    Quote:

If patent 6,343,263 was filed in 1994 doesn't it expire in 3 years from now? If the Android industry can just appeal and stall for 3 years they are home free.

Nice try but you just can't stall a lawsuit out of existence. The lawsuit is already in process so if the patent violation was upheld all the violating products sold prior to the expiration would be subject to pay whatever fees and damages the court declared.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    Since Schmidt ended up in the posts again, it's a good time to remind some folks here what prompted he and Apple to agree that's it was the right time to part ways. In a nutshell, if it was allowed to continue it may have turned into an FTC suit against both Google and Apple with a claim that they were working too closely together in an attempt to stifle competition.

http://brainz.org/news/ftc-examines-...oard-ties/198/
  • Reply 28 of 102
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

HTCs look like iPhones now?

This is a case about works like, not looks like.

I think you are getting confused on your high horse.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

If patent 6,343,263 was filed in 1994 doesn't it expire in 3 years from now? If the Android industry can just appeal and stall for 3 years they are home free.

Wrong. If they lose the case, they could still be liable for damages from the date the case is filed until the expiration of the patent.

Quote:

I believe it is 20 years from the date granted so that would make the expiration date ... a problem for Android.

No, it's 20 years from the date of filing. It used to be 17 years from the date granted, but this was changed a long time ago.
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

For applications that were pending on and for patents that were still in force on June 8, 1995, the patent term is either 17 years from the issue date or 20 years from the filing date of the earliest U.S. or international (PCT) application to which priority is claimed (excluding provisional applications), the longer term applying.[3][4]

Because it was filed before June 8, 1995 the above paragraph makes it sound like the patent is good for 17 years from 2002 because "the longer term applies." So they have 8 more years, not 3.
  • Reply 31 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Since Schmidt ended up in the posts again, it's a good time to remind some folks here what prompted he and Apple to agree that's it was the right time to part ways. In a nutshell, if it was allowed to continue it may have turned into an FTC suit against both Google and Apple with a claim that they were working too closely together in an attempt to stifle competition.

http://brainz.org/news/ftc-examines-...oard-ties/198/

I know you're paid to come here and defend him, and generally propagandize and distract, but, a) no one really believes that's why he left the board -- i.e., post hoc fallacy, or, sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence, despite how it's attempted to be spun, and the more likely truth is that Steve Jobs allowed him to resign rather than simply kicking his ass to the curb -- and b) it's irrelevant to the point under discussion, although, combined with his alleged mole-like activities, your post would support the double agent allegation, if your post were to the point and that were actually what happened, which is unlikely at best.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

This is a case about works like, not looks like.

I think you are getting confused on your high horse.

even better. so HTC phones work like iPhones now?
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I know you're paid to come here and defend him, and generally propagandize and distract, but, a) no one really believes that's why he left the board -- i.e., post hoc fallacy, or, sometimes a coincidence is just a coincidence, despite how it's attempted to be spun, and the more likely truth is that Steve Jobs allowed him to resign rather than simply kicking his ass to the curb -- and b) it's irrelevant to the point under discussion, although, combined with his alleged mole-like activities, your post would support the double agent allegation, if your post were to the point and that were actually what happened, which is unlikely at best.

so what was said is less likely than what you wishto be truth?

cute. any evidence to back up your big bad Eric Schmidt take or no?

a lesser man than myself may conclude that you're pretty much a liar.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 35 of 102
    Quote:

Millions of Americans have Samsung, HTC and Motorola phones. If Apple wins all patent cases and all companies mentioned as well as Google are forced to shut down operations, these Americans would lose their phones. Before they can afford to get a replacement, grievous bodily harms could come to them and they would not be able to text or phone a friend for help.

Apple must be stopped.

Don't hyperventilate. Samsung, HTC, etc can pay for the use of the IP (assuming they lose).
  • Reply 36 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"Know" sounds pretty certain.

Proof or apology, which will it be?

And do you really imagine this tiny forum in a random corner of the 'net would really be worth any company paying someone to write anything here?

Geez, what passes for logic 'round here....

Don't worry about anything he claims about me. He doesn't vote in my district and I wasn't inviting him for dinner, so no worries. He asked me point blank one day if I was a paid poster, to which I responded no. That was good enough for him. . . for a couple of days.\

He's going to make silly accusations every time he has no other argument, so don't waste time responding. No one that matters listens to the "paid" claim anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 102
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

Millions of Americans have Samsung, HTC and Motorola phones. If Apple wins all patent cases and all companies mentioned as well as Google are forced to shut down operations, these Americans would lose their phones. Before they can afford to get a replacement, grievous bodily harms could come to them and they would not be able to text or phone a friend for help.

Apple must be stopped.

And all those millions will still have those phones if Apple wins. However, the millions following will have to make another choice when they purchase a new phone from the phones that are allowed to be sold then. Nobody will be going around gathering up the phones from these people or shutting their service off. You sound ridiculous here.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

even better. so HTC phones work like iPhones now?

As someone who uses both an HTC Vision (aka Tmobile G2) and an iPhone 4, they are quite different. IMO, people who make the "Android is a direct copy of iOS" or "HTCs look exactly like iphones" have never used an HTC or android device before, or are blinded by fanboyism.

The copy argument only holds water in one instance: the samsung touchwiz UI.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Quote:

Apple must be stopped.

Sounds like the reasoning that justified U.S. investment banks getting bailed out by the U.S. taxpayer because if they were allowed to pay for their mistakes, it would destroy our borrowing-based economy.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, it does need editing, since what it describes is a 'mole', which is what Schmidt has been accused of being, and is not the same as a 'double agent'. You have to admit, he does resemble a mole.

Sorry, it's beneath me to judge other people's appearance. Feel free, though.