Apple said to release new iPhone 5 alongside China-focused 'iPhone 4-plus'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
J.P. Morgan revealed on Monday that its proprietary research suggests Apple will release two new iPhone models this fall: a newly redesigned "iPhone 5," along with an upgraded "iPhone 4-plus" that would target midrange smartphone buyers, particularly in emerging markets like China.



Analyst Mark Moskowitz said in the note to investors that he expects the new fifth-generation iPhone to have a thinner and lighter form factor, and to also include both CDMA and GSM radios for a "world mode" handset, though no support for 4G long-term evolution. The so-called "iPhone 5" is expected to have a larger Retina display with a "significant" but not "radically different" change in physical design.



"The new iPhone 5 stands to be based on the iPad 2's A5 processor or a newer A6 version," he said. "We also expect 1GB of RAM to increase memory access times.



"Other improvements are increased battery life due to advancement in battery technologies, the printed circuit board (PCB), the touch screen, and LCD power consumption metrics."



But the so-called "iPhone 5" won't be the only new handset from Apple this fall, Moskowitz claims.



"A second device (4-plus) based on the current iPhone 4 but with some minor improvements could target the midrange and focus on China," he said. "As for the current iPhone 4, we expect it to subsume 3GS as the lower-end offering."



Moskowitz said his research has indicated that the "iPhone 4-plus" could target one or more carriers in China. While he thinks a China-focused handset is in the works, he does not expect it to be exclusive to the nation of over 1 billion people.







"There could be other use cases, particularly in the midrange," he said. "Either way, the size of the China opportunity overcomes any potential drawbacks of making a specially-designed service for a few wireless carriers in one region, in our view."



The details from J.P. Morgan come as components claimed to be from an upgraded iPhone 4 continue to surface. Their existence stands in contrast to third-party cases that suggest Apple will release a device with a completely different form factor for its fifth-generation iPhone.



Last week, The New York Times weighed in by claiming that Apple is "just weeks away" from announcing an iPhone 5 with a "fairly different" design. The next iPhone is expected to sport an 8-megapixel camera and be powered by the same A5 processor found in the iPad 2.



Moskowitz sees Apple adding new carriers when it upgrades its iPhone lineup, setting the company up for a "potential big bang" in terms of sales. He sees China Telecom, Sprint and T-Mobile as the most likely carriers to partner with Apple in the immediate future.



Last week, Moskowitz said in a separate note that he does not expect Apple to release a third-generation iPad this year. He said the company has prototypes for the device already circling in its supply chain, but Apple is in "no rush" to release the device as the market struggles to compete with the iPad 2.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 40
    If Apple can make sufficient quantities of an iPhone 4, an iPhone 4s, AND an iPhone 5 all at the same time, this would be huge!
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post


    If Apple can make sufficient quantities of an iPhone 4, an iPhone 4s, AND an iPhone 5 all at the same time, this would be huge!



    And utterly implausible, calling into question how it's possible, leading to an investigation, leading to?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    I don't know how the article can claim the title "Apple said" when nothing was actually quoted or implied by Apple.



    Fyi, JP Morgan and Mark Moskowitz are not Apple employees.



    Edit: Darn, I think the word "said" here is used to replace "poised"... my bad
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post


    I don't know how the article can claim the title "Apple said" when nothing was actually quoted or implied by Apple.



    Because that's not what the sentence is saying at all. It's not written as: "Apple said COMMA SPACE OPENING QUOTATION rest of the title CLOSING QUOTATION," it's written differently.



    Of course, the fact that grammar exists is entirely meaningless to some people, so we'll probably have that one guy (forget his name) come here and try to refute my post by saying that I'm claiming Apple will be releasing an iPhone 5 with Thunderbolt while surprising the world by telling us that every existing iPhone 4 that people already own also includes Thunderbolt.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Well... Here's to hoping that we at least get the event announcement this week. I totally expected the event announcement to be last week.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


    Well... Here's to hoping that we at least get the event announcement this week. I totally expected the event announcement to be last week.



    I hope so too



    can't wait for the announcement
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by medenblik View Post


    I hope so too



    can't wait for the announcement



    Anybody else here tired of waiting. Apple could at least announce an expected release date even if it is next year.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    "The new iPhone 5 stands to be based on the iPad 2's A5 processor or a newer A6 version," he said. "We also expect 1GB of RAM to increase memory access times.



    There has been no rumor that the A6 is in full production, as far as I've seen. Not sure what he means about increased memory access times (which wouldn't be a good thing). Sounds like somebody doesn't really understand what they are talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post


    Anybody else here tired of waiting. Apple could at least announce an expected release date even if it is next year.



    Complete nonsense. Why would they ever do that?
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    J.P. Morgan revealed on Monday that its proprietary research suggests Apple will release two new iPhone models this fall...



    proprietary |p(r)əˈprī-iˌterē|

    adjective

    of or relating to an owner or ownership : the company has a proprietary right to the property.

    ? (of a product) marketed under and protected by a registered trade name : proprietary brands of insecticide.

    ? behaving as if one were the owner of someone or something : he looked about him with a proprietary air.



    Huh, I didn't know J.P. Morgan owned the exclusive right to make $hit up.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,547member
    More confusion.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tailwaggers View Post


    There has been no rumor that the A6 is in full production, as far as I've seen. Not sure what he means about increased memory access times (which wouldn't be a good thing). Sounds like somebody doesn't really understand what they are talking about.



    "Increased memory access times" makes absolutely no sense. In fact, it would make little sense for him to write "decreased memory access times" either. You don't increase RAM to increase, decrease, improve or otherwise affect memory access times. You increase it because the device, the OS or its applications need it. You decrease access times by using faster memory chips. How do analysts get their jobs?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    So, Apple is going to be selling 3 different iPhone models at once? Sweet!



    Just like they had a product matrix for the iPod, they need one for the iPhones. A pay-as-you-go phone, a low-end contract phone, and a 4" pro model.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    "Increased memory access times" makes absolutely no sense. In fact, it would make little sense for him to write "decreased memory access times" either. You don't increase RAM to increase or decrease memory access times. You increase it because the device or its applications need it. You decrease access times by using faster memory chips. How do analysts get their jobs?



    I think they were just using some fancy made-up techie sounding term for "it's faster and there are less pauses in the UI when there is more memory." So yeah, nothing to do with memory access speed as you say, but "faster access" (to your programs), because there is more memory.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    proprietary |p(r)əˈprī-iˌterē|

    adjective

    of or relating to an owner or ownership : the company has a proprietary right to the property.

    ? (of a product) marketed under and protected by a registered trade name : proprietary brands of insecticide.

    ? behaving as if one were the owner of someone or something : he looked about him with a proprietary air.



    Huh, I didn't know J.P. Morgan owned the exclusive right to make $hit up.



    Their research was to simply read AppleInsider.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    "Increased memory access times" makes absolutely no sense. In fact, it would make little sense for him to write "decreased memory access times" either. You don't increase RAM to increase, decrease, improve or otherwise affect memory access times. You increase it because the device, the OS or its applications need it. You decrease access times by using faster memory chips. How do analysts get their jobs?



    I'm going to hope that this was written in the effort of keeping it simple for the novice. Generally following the idea that an increase is better and the misrepresentation that more memory is faster... Of course, more memory CAN make the system faster IF memory is the bottleneck in the first place. The idea here being that increasing the amount of memory will reduce swapping to the flash page/swap memory thus making the system as a whole faster.



    Then again it's equally likely that the writer was pretty clueless.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Amazing! That's exactly what the common knowledge is!
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post


    I'm going to hope that this was written in the effort of keeping it simple for the novice. Generally following the idea that an increase is better and the misrepresentation that more memory is faster... Of course, more memory CAN make the system faster IF memory is the bottleneck in the first place. The idea here being that increasing the amount of memory will reduce swapping to the flash page/swap memory thus making the system as a whole faster.



    Then again it's equally likely that the writer was pretty clueless.



    Walter Moskowitz generally knows quite a bit about he's writing about. I suspect something was bungled somewhere between what he originally wrote and what we see here.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Usually when they bring a new iPhone out, they keep producing the previous gen as a budget offering. Perhaps this time, they will make minor changes to the previous gen first. Make a cost-reduced version, perhaps with cheaper case or non-retina screen?



    Maybe they will make a lot of money with such a phone, in developing markets, but I am most interested in the iPhone 5, since it will strongly hint at what the next iPad will have, which is what I really want to buy.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Any iPhone 4s has to be at least as good as the current 4, otherwise the current 4 will become rare and it's value will rise.
Sign In or Register to comment.