Google launches Google Wallet service weeks ahead of iPhone 5 refresh

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

That is not how these systems work. You goto the checkout at the supermarket and then place your phone or contacts card over the correctly equipped card reader, rather than inserting it (for chip and pin) or swiping it (for mag strip cards).

If google do actually use a "scan per barcode" system then... really, sense? where? can I have some sense?

I understand completely how this system works, so there's no need to mock. I have been researching it ever since it was announced way back when. I was simply responding to the theoretical situation and system that some on here have been discussing as far as how cool it would be to be able to buy things as you pick them up. Read a little, and figure out what the context is of a statement, especially since I directly responded to somebody instead of simply posting a random comment.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

As I am describing it, you still would have to manually scan each item to pay for it. You would not be billed for simply putting something in your cart.

Well I can think of a few reasons why this is not practical. For starters, the device would need to interact with another piece of electronic hardware. In your example, where is the scanner? Where is the other device? Is your shopping cart a $10,000 wireless computer that you intend to wheel out to the parking lot. How about those $10,000 wireless hand baskets?

Second, there are certain items that are restricted such as alcohol and cigarettes which need age verification. An electronic terminal cannot do that. You need real people in the loop anyway.

Honestly sometimes people think that technology is a solution to everything. We hear all the time that Apple should make an all robot assembly plant in the US, but the truth is it is considerably more efficient to use actual humans to execute complicated tasks.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Well I can think of a few reasons why this is not practical. For starters, the device would need to interact with another piece of electronic hardware. In your example, where is the scanner? Where is the other device? Is your shopping cart a $10,000 wireless computer that you intend to wheel out to the parking lot. How about those $10,000 wireless hand baskets?

Second, there are certain items that are restricted such as alcohol and cigarettes which need age verification. An electronic terminal cannot do that. You need real people in the loop anyway.

Honestly sometimes people think that technology is a solution to everything. We hear all the time that Apple should make an all robot assembly plant in the US, but the truth is it is considerably more efficient to use actual humans to execute complicated tasks.

Actually, this is a "problem" that technology could solve very easily, and it doesn't even require that smartphones support it. If you have RFID chips embedded in everything (and they are dirt cheap) and some sort of "smart card" (or smart phone) that securely identifies you, all you need is a chute to walk through on your way to the parking lot for billing. Alcohol and cigarettes can even be self-serve with your card or phone identifying you as of legal age.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

Why on earth would you need to still go through a checkout line? Why not scan (and pay for) each item as you put it into your cart? If someone wants to really bring the future closer, they will find a way that will allow us to pay for each item as we pick it up and put it into our cart, eliminating the need to go through and wait in checkout lines altogether. Doesn't this make sense? Or am I missing something here (do some of you actually like looking for the shortest line, and then still standing there and waiting to pay?)?

This seems to be the most innovative solution to me. Maybe I'm missing something.

Considering that Android users don't like to pay for things, you need to make sure they really scanned.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Actually, this is a "problem" that technology could solve very easily, and it doesn't even require that smartphones support it. If you have RFID chips embedded in everything (and they are dirt cheap) and some sort of "smart card" (or smart phone) that securely identifies you, all you need is a chute to walk through on your way to the parking lot for billing. Alcohol and cigarettes can even be self-serve with your card or phone identifying you as of legal age.

They pretty much do that already. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment

One or two new bits of software and they're there.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Considering that Android users don't like to pay for things, you need to make sure they really scanned.

What has Android to do with the discussion? Or did you just feel like making a baseless generalization out of topic?
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

What has Android to do with the discussion? Or did you just feel like making a baseless generalization out of topic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Don't get sour at me because you didn't see the tongue in cheek joke they were making.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    Perhaps I am an outlier but I have a hard time trusting Google with that much of my information. I don't have the same uneasiness about Apple but Google scares me a bit more. Combined with all the other ways that Google tauches our lives this would be very powerful information they hold.

Apple seems to have a set direction and a set corporate plan to get there. Google is a little more free and is willing to "try anything" to see if it makes them money. That creativity means my info could come into play in ways we can't yet imagine.

I'm probably just Google-paranoid though.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    Quote:

All nice in theory however it is never that simple. Why do you think they have super sensitive scales and human monitors in the self checkout? To keep people from stealing. RFID works great if you have a package to put it in, but if it is on the outside like on a head of lettuce, people are going to tear it off and try to walk out of the store without paying.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:

All nice in theory however it is never that simple. Why do you think they have super sensitive scales and human monitors in the self checkout? To keep people from stealing. RFID works great if you have a package to put it in, but if it is on the outside like on a head of lettuce, people are going to tear it off and try to walk out of the store without paying.

None of these things involve insurmountable hurdles. The technology is there to make it happen and just because it's not utterly trivial to implement doesn't mean it can't or won't work. That's what innovation is all about, solving these kinds of problems, and they will be solved.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Another example of rushing a technology to market before it's ready. This wallet is only available to use within a very limited scope of users and merchants. At this point, it's a gimmick. But that's the way Apple's competition works. They know they can't best Apple with fit and finish, so they go for the only thing that's left--being first.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:

Agree. RFID is great for packages and sorting and tracking... but paying... hmmm possible in department stores or similar? but grocery... maybe. I would think I would still like to see a list that says... is this what you want, what card do you want it on etc. If so, that gets to below...

Back to NFC...

Im not sure of the benefit overall of NFC...if I have to carry a wallet with some cash and id anyways, whats a credit card or two also?

Now it would be nice to have a universal card... say my drivers license has my credit card info, so I only bring out one card... and select which card I want it charged to when I swipe. Kind of reverse how it is now... just a 2 second thought, not that its worth anything... but if someone patents it, I have a record.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:

None of these things involve insurmountable hurdles. The technology is there to make it happen and just because it's not utterly trivial to implement doesn't mean it can't or won't work. That's what innovation is all about, solving these kinds of problems, and they will be solved.

Not sure. It might be a solution looking for a problem.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

If you're not billed by putting it in your cart, couldn't you leave without paying for some items?

Yes - its called shoplifting and you have been able to do that for years. Pretty much for always, come to think of it

I remember when the self-scan systems started appearing in European supermarkets a decade or so ago research showed that shoplifting actually decreased. There was a system of spot checks. If you were found to have added items you would be re-scanned more frequently (major drag).
  • Reply 37 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Another example of rushing a technology to market before it's ready. This wallet is only available to use within a very limited scope of users and merchants. At this point, it's a gimmick. But that's the way Apple's competition works. They know they can't best Apple with fit and finish, so they go for the only thing that's left--being first.

Definitely a work in progress. Mobile Payments have been around for a very long time, now. RFID is still some way off. Here's a nice overview....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_payment
  • Reply 38 of 62
    This provides too much detailed information to Google on my buying habits, which is likely their motivation for doing this. Apple would be safer.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Agree. RFID is great for packages and sorting and tracking... but paying... hmmm possible in department stores or similar? but grocery... maybe. I would think I would still like to see a list that says... is this what you want, what card do you want it on etc. If so, that gets to below...

Back to NFC...

Im not sure of the benefit overall of NFC...if I have to carry a wallet with some cash and id anyways, whats a credit card or two also?

Now it would be nice to have a universal card... say my drivers license has my credit card info, so I only bring out one card... and select which card I want it charged to when I swipe. Kind of reverse how it is now... just a 2 second thought, not that its worth anything... but if someone patents it, I have a record.

Not sure but isn't NFC using RFID? The way some people rave about its benefits they would probably volunteer to have one implanted in their forehead just because it is high-tech.

http://creativity-online.com/work/wa...ead-scan/12366
  • Reply 40 of 62
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I really don't care if it's a Google or Apple e-wallet as long as they support all the major credit cards, loyalty cards , membership cards and point of sale systems.

Apple can try and set it up so that transactions go through iTunes accounts but I would think that this might just strike most people as strange. Is it just me or isn't there something strange about using an account that you use to pay for songs to now for pay for dinner? Not just that, but this is an extra layer on top of my credit card.

And then there's the question of how an iTunes wallet will work there's no infrastructure to support it. Google is leveraging existing Paypass and Paywave infrastructure to support its mobile wallet. I hope Apple goes this route rather than some strange iTunes wallet solution.